I'm Sick Of Dream Theater

Nate2112

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 17 2011, 09:03 AM)
I would like them a lot more if they got a new singer

Alot of people are with you there. I love JLBs voice and think he is an extremely talented vocalist. HOWEVER it certainly isn't everyones taste and I completely understand that!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 17 2011, 01:12 AM)
QUOTE (The Slanny Ganizat @ Jul 16 2011, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 05:47 AM)
QUOTE (FallTempest @ Jul 15 2011, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2011, 06:03 AM)
Overrated and immature band.

*IMO you mean. Immature? Help us out here. I have a hunch that maybe you haven't got your facts straight. And overrated where?? Not on TRF thats for sure. I think they get as much or perhaps not enough recognition IMO.

Well, they just sound like they try to make their music as complicated as possible. The whole drama with Portnoy showed immaturity also. Kids really.

They can't play much more than what they play. That, and covering other bands. I doubt any of them can play classical or jazz with the exception of Rudess. I doubt Portnoy could play Rite Of Spring on timpani or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra on snare drum or timpani for example. Or read a Basie or Ellington chart arrangement. I don't think Myung could play Cherokee or Four. I doubt Patrucci could play McLaughlin's Guitar Concerto for Orchestra or solo over rhythm changes modulating into different keys using chord scales.

They really need to go back to school or go and take lessons.

Them's are different strings, man.

"Different Stings" is one of the best songs ever written.

Different Stings? Is that like new Police or something?? tongue.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 16 2011, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (FallTempest @ Jul 15 2011, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2011, 06:03 AM)
Overrated and immature band.

*IMO you mean. Immature? Help us out here. I have a hunch that maybe you haven't got your facts straight. And overrated where?? Not on TRF thats for sure. I think they get as much or perhaps not enough recognition IMO.

Well, they just sound like they try to make their music as complicated as possible. The whole drama with Portnoy showed immaturity also. Kids really.

They can't play much more than what they play. That, and covering other bands. I doubt any of them can play classical or jazz with the exception of Rudess. I doubt Portnoy could play Rite Of Spring on timpani or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra on snare drum or timpani for example. Or read a Basie or Ellington chart arrangement. I don't think Myung could play Cherokee or Four. I doubt Patrucci could play McLaughlin's Guitar Concerto for Orchestra or solo over rhythm changes modulating into different keys using chord scales.

They really need to go back to school or go and take lessons.

I don't see how the "drama with Portnoy" makes any of them immature aside from Mike himself. The rest of them handled it pretty well, he's just the one who had to be a big baby about it.

As for comparing kit drumming with classical percussion parts -- way off bro, they're two completely different styles. How many of NYPO's percussionists could play 6:00 or The Great Debate if you sat them down behind a drumset? And you really don't think Myung or Petrucci could play jazz? really? they went to berklee for f**k's sake, not to mention that Petrucci alters and improvises solo's live all the time. Why not try re-thinking your assumptions from the point of view of somebody who isn't trying to prove a point so hard

goodpost.gif

There is no reason to say they "can't" play those genres of music; they certainly could if they had time to rehearse a bit. And if they couldn't, it doesn't make them any less of musicians. They've done a lot of pioneering in the field of progressive metal, and in the end, that's a hell of a lot more than many classical and jazz musicians can say.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 01:08 PM)
I look at how bands such as Rush have been through so much and have been together for so long and how they handle it all. And Yes too with all that has happened with them in 43 years.
Just sayin'.

Including Yes in your argument for a band weathering problems is kinda silly. Over those 40+ years, how many incarnations of Yes have there been? Certainly more than one. And, weren't there a lot of problems between Yes and ABW&H as far as who everyone thought should be able to play particular songs? People are people. They say and do silly things sometimes. Just read some of the posts in this thread!

As for the Buddy Rich comment... Think what you like but Portnoy IS a good drummer. Period! The dude can run circles around many/most drummers in his genres.

And, who cares if someone can or can't play jazz?!? Jazz isn't the be-all-end-all of music.

Dream Theater do what they do very well. You can either like it or not. Is there some wankery going on in some of their music? Absolutely! I don't love everything they've done. There are some parts in some songs that I don't think are particularly necessary. But, that's just my opinion. Someone else may love those parts. Personally, I love their music and can't wait for the new album.

Like what you like. Debate what you want. But, have some validity to your points.

C'mon, September 13th!!!

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Jul 18 2011, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 01:08 PM)
I look at how bands such as Rush have been through so much and have been together for so long and how they handle it all. And Yes too with all that has happened with them in 43 years.
Just sayin'.

Including Yes in your argument for a band weathering problems is kinda silly. Over those 40+ years, how many incarnations of Yes have there been? Certainly more than one. And, weren't there a lot of problems between Yes and ABW&H as far as who everyone thought should be able to play particular songs? People are people. They say and do silly things sometimes. Just read some of the posts in this thread!

As for the Buddy Rich comment... Think what you like but Portnoy IS a good drummer. Period! The dude can run circles around many/most drummers in his genres.

And, who cares if someone can or can't play jazz?!? Jazz isn't the be-all-end-all of music.

Dream Theater do what they do very well. You can either like it or not. Is there some wankery going on in some of their music? Absolutely! I don't love everything they've done. There are some parts in some songs that I don't think are particularly necessary. But, that's just my opinion. Someone else may love those parts. Personally, I love their music and can't wait for the new album.

Like what you like. Debate what you want. But, have some validity to your points.

C'mon, September 13th!!!

goodpost.gif Right on.

I am wondering where the hate for BC&SL is coming from all of the sudden? I remember when that album came out it got really positive attention, and a resounding consensus that it was much better than the previous album "Systematic Chaos"

wtf.gif

I don't think it's hate. I think the focus is on that one because it was their last album and because it was their highest charting album to date, coming in at #6 on the US Billboard charts.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 18 2011, 07:54 PM)
I am wondering where the hate for BC&SL is coming from all of the sudden? I remember when that album came out it got really positive attention, and a resounding consensus that it was much better than the previous album "Systematic Chaos"

wtf.gif

I never hopped on the DT Metal bandwagon. Their last good release to me was Octavarium. The last two releases really turned on the strong dislike with me. Although I do like The Count, even if the lyrics are a bit cheesy.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2011, 07:48 AM)
The last two releases really turned on the strong dislike with me. Although I do like The Count, even if the lyrics are a bit cheesy.

Systematic Chaos is definitely not one of my favorites. But BC&SL was pretty good. The Count isn't one of the best tracks on the album. However, I've definitely warmed up to it. Though, that's the one song on there I can say I like the instrumental version better than the full version.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 10 2011, 06:33 PM)
I haven't listened to enough of them to cast a vote. Perhaps someone could recommend some songs for a DT noob?

Sorry to jump in on this late but here are a bunch of awesome DT songs:

Metropolis Pt 1 (probably my #1 favorite DT song)

Take the Time

Pull Me Under (the only hit I guess)

6:00

Erotomania

Scarred

A Change of Seasons (killer)

Peruvian Skies

Hollow Years (that's right, I said it!)

Anything off of SFAM, but Finally Free and Fatal Tragedy are the best from it

Glass Prison

Solitary Shell

The Test that Stumped them all (like Metallica, only good... OH!)

As I Am

Endless Sacrifice

The Root of All Evil

Octavarium (song)

The Dark Eternal Night (reminds me of Maiden in the chorus)

In the Presence of Enemies pts. 1 & 2

A Nightmare to Remember

Damn, when's the new one coming out with ManJEWELS in it?? laugh.gif

James is great in the studio but (and I like the guy) he's kind of weak live. The exception is his performance on Score, the 20th anniversary concert. He was awesome for that. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 19 2011, 02:21 PM)

James is great in the studio but (and I like the guy) he's kind of weak live. The exception is his performance on Score, the 20th anniversary concert. He was awesome for that. 1022.gif

I believe he's improved on that level over the last so many tours. Octavarium to the present.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jul 19 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 19 2011, 02:21 PM)

I believe he's improved on that level over the last so many tours. Octavarium to the present.

I thought he sucked bad on the "Chaos In Motion" tour, but the last two have been big improvements. He nailed the 8v tour aswell! yes.gif