I'm Sick Of Dream Theater

Nate2112

This may come as a shock but I think I may be the only one on TRF that doesn't like Dream Theater.

I just think that they are WAY too overated and that the only two albums that are ok are Train Of Thought and Octavarium.

Please Discuss.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 06:17 PM)
facepalm.gif

not sure what's worse, the fact that you didn't realize that there are plenty of DT haters everywhere, or the fact that you think the two tolerable albums are ToT and 8VM

What do you think are the best albums

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jul 10 2011, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 06:17 PM)
facepalm.gif

not sure what's worse, the fact that you didn't realize that there are plenty of DT haters everywhere, or the fact that you think the two tolerable albums are ToT and 8VM

What do you think are the best albums

Awake, Falling Into Infinity and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Train of Thought is far and away the worst album and Octavarium has its moments but it's not really classic material.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 10 2011, 07:33 PM)
I haven't listened to enough of them to cast a vote. Perhaps someone could recommend some songs for a DT noob?

I'd listen to a full album instead of songs. Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory is my favorite.

As for songs, try:

The Dance of Eternity

Sacrificed Sons

6:00

As I Am

Pull Me Under (their only hit & most well known song)

A Rite of Passage

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 10 2011, 07:23 PM)
Labries vocals make them pretty much unlistenable for me. That, plus their songs have been gradually getting worse since Scenes from a memory....

trink39.gif

Yep. His vocals generally suck and the few times I have heard him sound ok it was the most mundane vocal melody possible. The music generally seems interesting but they could use a better vocalist both technically and melodically.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 10 2011, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 10 2011, 07:23 PM)
Labries vocals make them pretty much unlistenable for me. That, plus their songs have been gradually getting worse since Scenes from a memory....

trink39.gif

Yep. His vocals generally suck and the few times I have heard him sound ok it was the most mundane vocal melody possible. The music generally seems interesting but they could use a better vocalist both technically and melodically.

Labries reminds me of Geoff Tate, and now that is some real Progressive Metal, along with Opeth and Porcupine Tree, my favorite band after Rush.

I kinda can get the hang of Black Clouds And Silver Lining because of Wither.

But A Change Of Seasons album art really looks un-professional and it looks like it was made on Photoshop

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 10 2011, 07:33 PM)
I haven't listened to enough of them to cast a vote. Perhaps someone could recommend some songs for a DT noob?

Metropolis

(if you're a LaBrie hater, listen to this recording, it just might change your mind)

Lines in the Sand

The Dance of Eternity

and if you have the time for a 23-minute epic,

A Change of Seasons

They get annoying for me sometimes. I like them, but sometimes I can't take the constant assault of heavy overdrive guitars and the raping of drums. They're talented, yes; but I just can't take that much of them. I'm surprised I got through all of 'Octavarium' on my first listen.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 10 2011, 08:19 PM)
They get annoying for me sometimes. I like them, but sometimes I can't take the constant assault of heavy overdrive guitars and the raping of drums. They're talented, yes; but I just can't take that much of them. I'm surprised I got through all of 'Octavarium' on my first listen.

right, because that's clearly what every single one of their songs is like.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 10 2011, 08:19 PM)

right, because that's clearly what every single one of their songs is like.

I'm not complaining, nor am I saying that every one of their songs sound like that. I just don't enjoy the progressive metal style very much.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 10 2011, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 07:28 PM)
.. Train of Thought is far and away the worst album ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/DT_WDADU.jpg

the only problems with that album are Dominici and the production. Musically and lyrically it's one of their best (listen to any '92 or '93 live versions of WDADU songs with LaBrie, amazing stuff). What makes Train of Thought such a horrible album is the LACK of any musical inspiration, the same problem that several tracks off the following three albums suffer from as well

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jul 10 2011, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 10 2011, 07:28 PM)
.. Train of Thought is far and away the worst album ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/DT_WDADU.jpg

As far as I'm concerned it's Ytse Jam vs Endless Sacrifice here.