what song by RUSH made them great to you?

rollthebones1963

QUOTE (johndyar @ Jul 12 2011, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2011, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jul 11 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (johndyar @ Jul 11 2011, 07:44 PM)
I grew up in Akron Ohio and listened to WMMS out of Cleveland. I heard Working Man when they first started playing it in 1974. Seen them for the first time later that year at the Cleveland Agora. Been hooked ever since!!

Holy crap! I don't want to go off topic, but I just saw your signature, and I see Neil in the picture. I didn't know he took part in the meet and greets thing, even if it was seldom. I thought he stood clear of those all the time. That's amazing.

Please excuse the digress, everyone.

He does do them for Make A Wish or similar groups. Note the other thing in that sig wink.gif

When my daughter made her wish, she told the MAW people that meeting Neil was an important part of her wish. He was very gracious and made her feel very special (as did the rest of the band and crew). It was a very special day for her. The MAW people told us that she was Rush's first (and only I think) Make-A-Wish kid.

Sorry to digress.

AW! BLESS ALL THREE OF THEM!!!!!!

God I love 2.gif

Sorry to digress everyone! blush4.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jul 11 2011, 08:38 AM)
I'll have to go with the first song I ever heard from them, which was Working Man off of ATWAS (not long after it was released)....I had a friend that liked to play snippets of tunes for me...he'd go "you gotta hear this" and would start a song, then after maybe a verse or two, go "Oh, you gotta hear this!!!" and do the same thing...one day we were sitting in his room going through one of those sessions, and he said "Hey, you're a drummer right...you really need to hear this guy, he's amazing...the drum solo is at the end of the tune" and he actually (for once) played the WHOLE THING!

Needless to say, I was hooked, and got my mother to order ATWAS from "Columbia House" the next day!

Same here. Neil's drumming was the difference for me, and the passion of RUSH's live act really came through on ATWAS.

I dived heavily into Archives after that and have been a hardcore fan since.

Up until that point, I never HEARD anyone even approach the drums in that manner, so of COURSE I ended up getting hooked! (and was forever ruined to own a small drum kit!)

After getting ATWAS, I listened to the whole album 10 times in a row to just absorb what I was hearing...it was on another level!

Not long after this, I was in a friends car and they had a tape of Caress of Steel and I got hooked on that (still a favorite to this day) then picked up Archives and 2112 for my own consumption....when AFTK came out, it too things to a higher plane, as did Hemispheres!

When I first heard it, I thought I was on another planet. I was hooked from that moment on..... 1022.gif

Hmm...the first time I heard Rush was when I was fairly young (I'd say maybe 11 or 12). We were playing with my Godfather's CD's and came across both MP and AFTK.

I remember being pretty taken back by YYZ and Xanadu in particular. Maybe it was because I thought those names were 'cool'. LOL

Either way...I didn't really follow Rush much more until a few years later when I was looking at my other uncle's CD collection (of around 500 CD's at the time), and noticed alot of RUSH albums.

So, I remember listening to both those albums (AFTK and MP) again and really enjoying it. However, it was only when my uncle recommended that I listen to Hemispheres (La Villa Strangiato) to be exact that I realized this was something special.

I would say that LA VILLA STRANGIATO was really the first song that made me realize that Rush was not 'just another band', but really something great that needed to be explored further.

Well, the first one that got me wanting to hear more was New World Man. Later that school year, my friend's older sister turned us on to PeW and ESL so it had to be either Xanadu or Natural Sci...not sure which was first. Still, NWM holds a special place for me as it was the first Rush song that I knew as Rush.