Cheers!

Lost In Xanadu

Seeing my other favorite sitcoms (Seinfeld, The Office) have a thread, I thought I'd add this one.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/cheers/CheersTV.jpg

http://flowtv.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/cheers01.png

"How's it going Mr. Peterson?"

"It's a dog eat dog world, Woody and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear."

"Can I draw you a beer, Norm ?"

"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."

"How's a beer sound, Norm?"

"I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in."

"What's shaking, Norm?"

"All four cheeks and a couple of chins."

"What would you say to a nice beer, Normie?"

"Going Down?"

"What's new, Normie?"

"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer."

"What'll it be, Normie?"

"Just the usual Coach. I'll have a froth of beer and a snorkel."

"What would you say to a beer, Normie?"

"Daddy wuvs you."

"What'd you like, Normie?"

"A reason to live. Give me another beer."

"What'll you have, Normie?"

"Well, I'm in a gambling mood Sammy. I'll take a glass of whatever comes out of that tap."

"Looks like beer, Norm."

"Call me Mister Lucky."

"What'd you say, Norm?"

"Any cheap, tawdry thing that will get me a beer."

"What would you say to a beer, Norm?"

"Hiya, sailor. New in town?"

(Coming in from the rain)

"Evening everybody."

Everybody: "Norm!"

"Still pouring, Norm?"

"That's funny, I was about to ask you the same thing."

"Whaddya say, Norm?"

"Well, I never met a beer I didn't drink."

"Hey Norm, how's the world been treating you?"

"Like a baby treats a diaper."

"Would you like a beer Mr.. Peterson?"

"No, I'd like a dead cat in a glass."

"How's life treating you?"

"It's not, Sammy, but you can."

"What's the story, Mr. Peterson?"

"The Bobbsey twins go to the brewery. Let's cut to the happy ending."

"Hey Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you."

"I know, if she calls, I'm not here."

"Beer, Norm?"

"Have I gotten that predictable? Good."

"What's going on, Mr. Peterson?"

"A flashing sign in my gut that says, 'Insert beer here.'"

"Hey Mr. Peterson, Jack Frost nipping at your nose?"

"Yep, now let's get Joe Beer nipping at my liver, huh?"

"Another layer for the winter, Wood."

"Whatcha up to, Norm?"

"My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall."

"How's it going Mr. Peterson?"

"Poor."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"No, I mean pour."

"How's life treating you, Norm?"

"Like it caught me sleeping with its wife."

"What's going down, Normie?"

"My butt cheeks on that bar stool."

"Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"

"Alright, but stop me at one....make that one-thirty."

"What's the story, Norm?"

"Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer."

"How's about a beer, Norm?"

"That's that amber sudsy stuff, right? I've heard good things about it!"

"The question is, `what's going 'in' Mr. Peterson?" A beer, please, Woody."

"Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"

"A little early isn't it, Woody?"

"For a beer?"

"No, for stupid questions."

"Women. Can't live with 'em ... pass the beer nuts."

• Like 2

Watching an episode of Frasier recently and it felt very familiar...

Frasier and Lilith were trying to get Frederick into some exclusive school in the Boston Area. The only time the headmaster could see them was on Thanksgiving morning, so Frasier, Niles and Martin all flew to Boston to spend the holiday there so Frasier and Lilith could go talk to this headmaster.

They leave, feeling they didn't get their point across, went back time and time again, each visit more ridiculous, and each time infuriating the headmaster more and more until he finally says "If I let him in, will you promise to never bother me again."

Then it hit me...

The time Sam and Diane were going to see some relationship expert played by the great John Cleese. When he tells them they are not a good fit, they keep going back time and time again until it ends with this...

Dr. Simon Finch-Royce: Ok; Sam, Diane, you two are perfect together. I'm sorry I made a mistake before but you are the most perfectly matched couple ever. But, why am I telling this to you? Let's share it with the rest of the world.

[opens window]

Dr. Simon Finch-Royce: Hear this, world. The rest of you can stop getting married. It's been done to perfection. Envy them, sofa, envy them, chair, for you shall never be as cozy as they for their union shall be an epoch-shattering success and I STAKE MY LIFE ON IT. Wait a moment, let me get this on record

[talks into his tape recorder]

Dr. Simon Finch-Royce: "I, Dr. Simon Finch-Royce, being of sound mind and body declare that Sam and Diane shall be happy together throughout all eternity and if I am wrong I promise I will take my own life in the most disgusting manner possible." Here, take the tape, NO, take the whole machine. It's my wedding gift to you. The most perfect couple since the DAWN of TIME.

Diane: [turns to Sam] See?

John Cleese absolutely makes this scene. The bolded part especially. :LOL:

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Wow, reading those quotes I didn't realize how alcoholic-y it all seems. I used to love this show. One of the all time greats. I don't know if I'd want to watch it again today. I imagine it's a bit dated now.

I still will watch them, and yes, at times it can be a bit dated, but still funny as hell.

One of my favourite lines was delivered by Rebecca Howe (after she was depressed about burning down Sam's bar).

I'm too stupid to live!

Great show! :LOL: One of the few to survive and even exceed the loss of important characters (Coach, Diane).

I still know where Albania is because of Cheers!

Albania, Albania, you border on the Adriatic

But then, they always had great songs.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, K-e-l-l-y

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly...

One of my greatest disappointments after turning 21 was walking down the stairs to the Bull & Finch Pub, which is the exterior location shot for the show. The interior was really small and cramped. It looked nothing like the bar from the show. I haven't been in there in more than 20 years, and it's changed its name to Cheers Beacon Hill, so I don't know if it looks different inside now.

One of my all time favorite bits was Sam telling Woody (I think) how to break up with girls. You just tell them "I'll call you tomorrow." :LOL:

Another was Sam explaining that he hadn't accidently left a button on his shirt open. He did it on purpose so he could scratch his belly.

One of my greatest disappointments after turning 21 was walking down the stairs to the Bull & Finch Pub, which is the exterior location shot for the show. The interior was really small and cramped. It looked nothing like the bar from the show. I haven't been in there in more than 20 years, and it's changed its name to Cheers Beacon Hill, so I don't know if it looks different inside now.

Yeah, I was there in 97 or 98. There was some work done. It didn't look like Cheers, but it was half bar, half gift shop. I still have that shirt I bought.

Yeah, I was there in 97 or 98. There was some work done. It didn't look like Cheers, but it was half bar, half gift shop. I still have that shirt I bought.

I was in the bar in '86, when the show was still on the air. True, the inside doesn't look like the bar from the show, and is actually very small, but I wasn't disappointed. The outside is totally the outside used in the show.

I'm a sitcom guy, and may have to rank "Cheers" as my favorite show ever. All the bits people mentioned above: yep, totally remember them. I've seen them all a dozen times.

• Like 1

You'd think that some super fan of the show would make a bar that was true to the set. Imagine the business they could do.

In fact, Clarke's in Faneuil Hall, a favorite of mine when I was a younger man, looks very similar inside to the bar from the show.

You'd think that some super fan of the show would make a bar that was true to the set. Imagine the business they could do.

Back when the show was on the air and immensely popular, the then-owners of the Bull & Finch didn't go too crazy in capitalizing on the bar's notoriety, beyond selling some t-shirts and mugs inside. They even kept the name of the bar as "Bull & Finch." Today, however, the current owners of the bar have gone hog wild with marketing: they officially changed the name from Bull&Finch to "Cheers," they sell a shitload of Cheers merchandise, and they opened a second "Cheers" location in Faneuil Hall, designed to resemble the bar from the show, where they also sell a shitload of Cheers merch.

Personally, I liked the way the old owners handled the bar's notoriety. It wasn't so much about the Cash Grab as it is now.

• Like 1

Back when the show was on the air and immensely popular, the then-owners of the Bull & Finch didn't go too crazy in capitalizing on the bar's notoriety, beyond selling some t-shirts and mugs inside. They even kept the name of the bar as "Bull & Finch." Today, however, the current owners of the bar have gone hog wild with marketing: they officially changed the name from Bull&Finch to "Cheers," they sell a shitload of Cheers merchandise, and they opened a second "Cheers" location in Faneuil Hall, designed to resemble the bar from the show, where they also sell a shitload of Cheers merch.

Personally, I liked the way the old owners handled the bar's notoriety. It wasn't so much about the Cash Grab as it is now.

While we're on the topic:

Ever notice that, back in the 80s, the "look" of the Cheers bar was relatively unique, whereas immediately after the show became successful a whole mess of bars adopted that "look"? Really. From the wood to all the random knick-knacks nailed to the walls... even bar/restaurant chains like Applebee's, the 99, Pizzeria Uno, TGI Fridays, etc. have that Cheers "look."

I've seen a couple dozen episodes of Frasier, but nowhere near all. Cheers, I've seen them all a dozen times.

Yeah, I thought Daphne was a little cutie.

How many fans of Cheers really liked Frasier too? I thought Frasier was great, and still watch those reruns when I can. Niles obsession with Daphne :LOL:

Frasier was one of the great characters on Cheers, particularly at the outset.

My favorite segment with him is when he tells of how stepping on a soccer ball and falling down is called a "Frasier Crane" in Europe, after Diane leaves him at the altar.

On his own show, the episode with two plumbers who bullied the Crane boys was hysterical.

Recently I started watching this show from the begining. It's the first time is a very long time that i've watched it. I'm on season 3 now and the show holds up very well today. The jokes are still funny and the characters are still easy to relate to. The reason Cheers is timeless is because of how simple the concept is. It revolves around a bar and the workers and people who frequent it. The show is very simple in it's execution but at the same time still entertaining and something you can watch and enjoy no matter how many years it's been since the show ended.
  • Like 1

I watched all of the seasons straight through on Netflix. Absolutely loved the show - a lot of laugh out loud moments. Funny how I remember most, if not all of the Norm quotes by the OP! :LOL:

Diane made me so angry though. I had a couple of moments where I'd call my dad (who has seen every episode) and say, "I WANT TO THROW HER OUT A WINDOW!" :rage:

But I knew, in the end, that means that they were doing a good job in developing her character because of how mad she made Sam and the viewer ;)