Who's the dick?

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jul 8 2011, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 02:16 PM)
This went just like I thought it would. I am person A, but my brother made me feel like I was being a dick.

He asked his friend to do some tree work on my heavily wooded property. Everything was good until a tornado hit northern WI. He was busy up there raking in the cash for a week, I understood, but when he got done with that I was still being treated like I didn't matter. Told my brother about it and he said "what do you expect, he's giving you a deal?!?" I then said the he's not doing it for free!

Best part of the story, another tree company will be in the area next week and they said since they were in the area already, they'd cut me a break and I'll be paying $150 less!

you should call your brother - he's owed a brief apology

you have been a little bit of a dick wink.gif

by your own admission:

you were looking for the 'friend of the family discount' but expecting full-price service and response time

when you ask a favor, the burden of patience and flexibility is on you

Re-read the OP. He just asked his brother if his friend could do the work. The friend said he'd give an estimate. The friend offered thediscount, the OP never asked for one.

oh, I read it

no one asks 'the friend of their brothers'' to perform a specialized service without hoping there'll be a little goodwill discount

otherwise, LIX would have called that friend of his brothers' anonymously (and two competitors) and gone with the price/schedule that suited him best

also, from the OP:

'person B says they will call to schedule something when they have time'

^ that right there says, 'look, man - I'm giving you the 'family & friends discount', so when I get to ya I get to ya - hang tight'

not everyone is comfortable doing business that way - LIX doesn't appear to be

the good news is, it looks like the OP ultimately got a better deal

my advice, LIX: steer clear of relative's referrals, the 'rules' of those kinds of business arrangements aren't for you

You must have missed the part where I said "he called and said he'll be there 'tomorrow' ". He said this numerous times and never once called to say that he won't make it because something came up.

You know how many times I moved my grill, birdhouse and bird feeders???

no, I don't know how many times you moved your stuff - more importantly, I bet 'person B' had no idea, either

by the time you were assuming that 'person B' wasn't calling you anymore because "...they are too tired", it was too late

he could do no right by you

of course, your entitled to your 'every business arrangement should be handled 100% by the book, regardless of situation or circumstance' attitude, but it just doesn't work well with 'friend of a friend' situations, that's all

trink39.gif

You assume A LOT. he did know how much I moved them because when he failed to call back, I would call him and would say he didn't call because he was tired and didn't feel like it.

You are pretty remarkable in the way you see things

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 02:16 PM)
This went just like I thought it would. I am person A, but my brother made me feel like I was being a dick.

He asked his friend to do some tree work on my heavily wooded property. Everything was good until a tornado hit northern WI. He was busy up there raking in the cash for a week, I understood, but when he got done with that I was still being treated like I didn't matter. Told my brother about it and he said "what do you expect, he's giving you a deal?!?" I then said the he's not doing it for free!

Best part of the story, another tree company will be in the area next week and they said since they were in the area already, they'd cut me a break and I'll be paying $150 less!

you should call your brother - he's owed a brief apology

you have been a little bit of a dick wink.gif

by your own admission:

you were looking for the 'friend of the family discount' but expecting full-price service and response time

when you ask a favor, the burden of patience and flexibility is on you

It's not a favor and just because there may be a discount, it doesn't mean person B gets to be a complete flake. When you buy sale items are you cool with being treated like an asswipe by the sales assosiates?

I've got to break this down, because it's nonsensical as it stands:

QUOTE (LIX)
...he did know how much I moved them

he did? my mistake, then

ok, now how did he find out?

QUOTE (LIX)
...because when he failed to call back, I would call him and would say he didn't call because he was tired and didn't feel like it

so - how he found out you'd been moving your stuff was, he didn't call you, and then you called him, and then he said he was tired and didn't feel like it

unsure.gif

so what - the guy is psychic?

and I don't believe for one minute that a business owner would ever say "I'm tired and I don't feel like it" to any client - relative of a friend or otherwise - in any professional communication

doesn't pass the sniff test

regardless, you're mind was already made up when you started this thread

enjoy the results! trink39.gif

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 03:35 PM)
And fwiw... He did do work for me before and there wasn't much of an issue.

much?

see, you had it in for this guy from the start

but congratulations anyway! with a cursory look at your OP, a bunch of people here jumped right in and agreed with you! cheer.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 03:59 PM)

QUOTE (LIX)

he did? my mistake, then

QUOTE (LIX)
...because when he failed to call back, I would call him and would say he didn't call because he was tired and didn't feel like it

so - how he found out you'd been moving your stuff was, he didn't call you, and then you called him, and then he said he was tired and didn't feel like it

unsure.gif

and I don't believe for one minute that a business owner would ever say "I'm tired and I don't feel like it" to any client - relative of a friend or otherwise - in any professional communication

You sir are myopic. And I use sir very loosely.

In the op, I purposely left a lot of details out to make it as unbiased as possible.

He didn't call, I called him to see what the hell was going on. He said he was working elsewhere, and was too tired too call. How hard is that to understand?

And when I was calling him, I mentioned that I moved everything out of the way. He said he will be there tomorrow repeatedly without showing up.

Even if he was doing it for free, as a favor, he should at least have the decency to call and let me know he was held up and won't be making it as promised.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 04:01 PM)

see, you had it in for this guy from the start

Talk about having your mind made up from the start

Looks like you had your "going trolling" shirt on right away with this thread

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 8 2011, 03:59 PM)

QUOTE (LIX)

he did? my mistake, then

QUOTE (LIX)

unsure.gif

You sir are myopic. And I use sir very loosely.and you, sir, are a dick - quick, close the poll! laugh.gif

In the op, I purposely left a lot of details out to make it as unbiased as possible.
ah, then you failed, brother (it was pretty easy to divine that you were biased from the get-go)

He didn't call, I called him to see what the hell was going on.
yeah, I understood that - already said so

He said he was working elsewhere, and was too tired too call. How hard is that to understand?
not hard at all... you understand though, that that's a lot different than "...he didn't feel like it..."

And when I was calling him, I mentioned that I moved everything out of the way.
that's the first time you've said so in this thread

(by now you must have figured out why some of your previous posts have read 'nonsense')

Even if he was doing it for free, as a favor, he should at least have the decency to call and let me know he was held up and won't be making it as promised.
my friend, at last we've found some common ground - I AGREE WITH YOU HERE - cool.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 8 2011, 04:28 PM)
Looks like you had your "going trolling" shirt on right away with this thread

^ you're going to have to publicly take that back

there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and I won't abide a liar when they make it personal

I dont think A or B are a dick. Both responded to what happened, Id simply advise B that he took a chance when he did what he did and lost, so get over it.

BTW - very customary for contractors to blow me off for days weeks.. when you said 2 weeks I kind of laughed... of course depends on what being done...

Many times a contractor if they decide a job is too small or they dont want to do it simply wont call back, which I find rude.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 8 2011, 04:15 PM)

I worked 8 hours for an aunt and uncle doing a nightmare job of 4 hallways and 6 flights of steps with the stiffest crap carpet ever!!!
At the end of the job instead of asking me what I wanted they handed me a check for $100.00! angry.gif

I found the dick.

From another point of view, unless you had other contractors waiting on this guy's work being completed, then you might well feel aggrieved. Seeing as the favour was through your brother, this guy might view it as a favour to his friend, (your brother). This guy can't just turn down work, especially storm damage clearance (nice earner) and for the county to boot.. the guy had to "prioritise". He also mentioned he was too tired.. given his line of work.. he most probably was.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 8 2011, 07:13 AM)
I hope no money was paid to person B. People have made that mistake.

^^^ This

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 8 2011, 03:15 PM)
Me being an ex tradesmen I can tell you how the song and dance goes.

I installed carpeting and this is the stereotypical way it always goes...

The relative calls you up saying...

"I have some work for you. I bought some carpet and I want you to have the job instead of someone else. I want you to make the money. I don't want a break. I just want a good job"

Trust me when I say... BULLSHIT!

Translation: I want it done cheaper then you would for someone else and I want it done perfect and at my convenience.

Many will argue with what I'm saying but trust me, this is how it is 9 out of 10 times.
I have been down this road and its the worst!

Working for friends and relatives, SUCKS ASS!!!! BIG TIME!!!

I worked 8 hours for an aunt and uncle doing a nightmare job of 4 hallways and 6 flights of steps with the stiffest crap carpet ever!!!
At the end of the job instead of asking me what I wanted they handed me a check for $100.00! angry.gif
I WAS RIPPING PISSED! The nerve of them to determine what my work was worth?

Another time I worked for one of my best friends and did a big room in his basement. In the end he asked me what kind of beer I wanted! angry.gif

That put a real strain on our friendship.

Bottom line is, DON'T work for friends and family if you know whats good for you.

Truer words were never spoken.

Being in the trades, I had a policy about those kind of jobs: either I did it for free or full price. I never give anybody a "deal" or a "discount". Seems like when I did, the people always wanted more or made it seem like I could have done better and I should make it up to them by doing some extra work. Riiiiight. So, now if I do it at all, it will be for full price and I treat them like any other customer (and they tend to treat me like a real professional instead of some hobo); or if I really like them, I'll do it for free. That way there is no confusion about who's doing whom the favor. If either of those options are off the table, I don't do the work. Simple as that.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 9 2011, 12:09 PM)
Who's the dick? would be a great game show.

Yeah, it would be. Anyone in the audience would receive this wonderful complimentary prize:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2008/10/smspotted_dick-755544.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 9 2011, 07:32 AM)

Yeah, it would be. Anyone in the audience would receive this wonderful complimentary prize:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2008/10/smspotted_dick-755544.jpg

drool1.gif drool1.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 9 2011, 03:32 AM)

Treeduck has a mouthful as we speak... 1287.gif