Prediction for the next tour

LeaveMyThingAlone

First of all, as sad as this may sound to some people, I genuinely believe Rush's last album will be Clockwork Angels and their final tour will likely follow. Whether that is 1 leg or 2 legs I'm not sure but I do believe the "Clockwork Angels" tour will be their last...mainly because I think Neil will call it quits and be a daddy and husband.

This is an interesting quote from Neil:

I feel a certain urgency, I really want to get that record made while I'm still able to," he says. "It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can."

Sounds code for "my last hurrah and I want to go out blazing"

So with all that being said, I have some predictions about what the tour may look like. It sounds like the boys are really putting their heart and soul into this album, recognizing it may be their last. They want to bring the old school complexity and concept to their ability to play better than ever and I suspect this will be their crowning achievement, one they will be very proudly play in it's entirety on the clockwork angels tour.

I think we may all get some version of the "B-Sides" tour a lot of us have hoped for.

I think playing MP in it's entirety every night for 2 years has burned the boys out on that album, and they may in fact scrap MP as well as a lot of the other "classics" they've played forever

I see the same lengthy set with the 1st half being the Clockwork Angels album and the 2nd half being songs Rush wants to play that they haven't as often as they like.

I think the tour consists of smaller venues (4,000-7,000) since they won't play a lot of the classics. Though they may charge an arm and a leg knowing the die hards will come

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, but I have to disagree. confused13.gif

CA may be the last tour, but the boys will never admit it until it's over. I believe they will still play the classics and we will not get our b-sides tour. I suspect it will be similar to the S&A tour. They will, of course, play a majority of CA, but I doubt the whole thing, uninterrupted. Maybe, with luck, they will retire YYZ or maybe Limelight, but Tom Sawyer will never leave their setlist. When casual (or not quite as hard-core fans) go to see Rush, they want to see plenty of songs they know. And if this is their last tour, why would they want to play smaller venues. I suspect also that what 'b-sides' they play will be from the late 80s-90s, to help Geddy's voice. Also, I bet there will be a lot more moaning and groaning over Ged's dying voice, however well he can still sing.

In short, I have no high hopes for the CA tour, even though, I will of course be pumped to see them in concert again.

smilies-8579.png

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 6 2011, 08:07 PM)
I will continue to hold that they will play '2112' in its entirety one last time before calling it quits.

I'm going to join you in your optimism. But I think that the OP has a lot of it right.

I agree that this will probably be the last album. They will tour on it and will do it in two legs much like they did for TM. I don't think they will say it's the end, but I think it will be the end of touring for them. I think they will finish the tour and just not do it again.

I'd love to see them in smaller venues, but not as much money in that and the smaller venues wont allow the screens, lights, etc that they (and we) have become accustomed to having in one of their shows. I'm sure that the three of them on the stage without all the fuss would be fine for a lot of us, me included, but I just don't think they would want to go out like that.

I think they will draw from later in their catalog due to Ged's voice. It's the only instrument they have in their arsenal that they can't control no matter how much he protects and takes car of it.

All my opinions of course. biggrin.gif for what they are worth..

QUOTE (MCM @ Jul 6 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 6 2011, 08:07 PM)
I will continue to hold that they will play '2112' in its entirety one last time before calling it quits.

I'd love to see them in smaller venues, but not as much money in that and the smaller venues wont allow the screens, lights, etc that they (and we) have become accustomed to having in one of their shows. I'm sure that the three of them on the stage without all the fuss would be fine for a lot of us, me included, but I just don't think they would want to go out like that.

The thing is they played a lot of 6,000 seat type venues on this go around and were still able to sell them out AND include the lights, pyros, videos, etc we're all accustomed too.

Point being, I think they would do quite well playing a tour exclusively these kinds of venues AND be able to keep the quality level show they always have

I agree that this is likely their last tour.

Would be great to see them sack away the MP tunes for some rarely played stuff, thats possible.

And while I hope your are right, theres no way they do smaller venues. Theyre making too much money playing the shed and mid-sized arenas.

Edited by greg2112

I don't think the CA tour will be their last. I think they will do 1 more after at least, then they'll be well in their 60's. Ultimately they'll decide to bow out before they start slipping from their standards.

And speaking of standards, they will never sack Tom Sawyer 1287.gif

I don't think this will be the last album or the last tour (if there is one in 2012). They seemed so relaxed and vital on this tour that I think we will also see the R40 !!!

I also didn't see a reason why they should stop as long as they play on such a high level. Maybe I'm too optimistic but that's my 2 cents.

It is hard for me to imagine that there will not be at least a limited tour for the 40th anniversary. Rumors are the The Rolling Stones are going out next year for their 50th. Lots of musicians keep going for as long as they can. I don't think Rush will be playing shows in their 70s, but I can see them doing an unannounced farewell type tour in 2014.

I have to agree with everyone else about an R40 type show. And then they will stop touring. But I have a feeling they will keep making records as long as they can. I really think as long as they can write quality material they will do so, but just not tour it, or at the very least, play a select number of shows.

As for what they will play specifically, I really doubt we will get a deep cuts tour. As much as they seem to be psyched about the new material I think we will see a lot from it, if not all of it. And then we might get Jacob's Ladder. Maybe. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Harperspace @ Jul 7 2011, 06:31 AM)
Clockwork Angels tour followed by the inevitable R40 tour as a last huzzah.  That's my prediction, for what it's worth!  cool.gif

^ This has been MY prediction (or HOPE, for that matter, lol) as well. I say they will do 2 legs throughout 2012, for Clockwork Angels, like they did on the Vapor Trails tour...take a year off in 2013...then do an R40 tour during the summer of 2014, and call it day. I honestly would be totally content with that. yes.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

I just can't see Rush just giving up and stopping. They're one of the only bands I know that have been together and touring for almost 40 years! Even though Neil says that he can't see himself playing at sixty, I honestly think that they will continue to play with each other until ( sad.gif ) one of them dies.

2.gif is Imortal

Edited by Yokkov

You're taking Neil's words out of context. Maybe he's just super excited for this album and he's anxious to get it out there so they can start touring on it?

They're getting older, but I think they still have another decade left. There are bands far older and in way worse shape than Rush and they're still rocking. Either way, they're time is winding down. But if this album is awesome, they'll keep going. It's in their blood, they wouldn't know what the hell to do if they retired, they've never known anything else. And of course, I could be completely wrong about this too, but if I were a betting man (which I am lol) I'd put down a lot of cash that this won't be their last effort.

Let's see...if I were in my late 50's, playing better than I have in my entire life, arguably as popular or perhaps even more popular than I'd been in my whole career, and still putting old and new asses in the seats why would I think even about quitting? That'd be nuts. Honestly, its not like they have a super difficult lifestyle. Chartered private planes, finest accomodations that can be had, all the family and friends I have as close or distant as I want, golf wherever whenever, riding wherever whenever. What they could do is work like Metallica..one week on working every other day, following week home (or wherever). Why would you ever stop unless people stopped showing up, or you were physically unable? I think if they stopped they'd miss it quickly.

QUOTE (LKNjoeP @ Jul 7 2011, 12:18 PM)
Let's see...if I were in my late 50's, playing better than I have in my entire life, arguably as popular or perhaps even more popular than I'd been in my whole career, and still putting old and new asses in the seats why would I think even about quitting? That'd be nuts. Honestly, its not like they have a super difficult lifestyle. Chartered private planes, finest accomodations that can be had, all the family and friends I have as close or distant as I want, golf wherever whenever, riding wherever whenever. What they could do is work like Metallica..one week on working every other day, following week home (or wherever). Why would you ever stop unless people stopped showing up, or you were physically unable? I think if they stopped they'd miss it quickly.

I would agree with you if it were just Geddy and Alex, but it's not...Neil is a different cat. The boys may talk him into going even longer and I could be wrong....I'm just saying all those things you mentioned don't necessarily float Neil's boat.

There are two wildcards that, in my mind, make future long tours less likely.

1. Ged's voice

2. Neil's daughter is coming up on 2 y/o. (no longer an infant)

Doesn't mean no new albums or limited tours. (although I don't know what the financial break-even point is on the scale of their current productions.)

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 6 2011, 06:18 PM)
First of all, as sad as this may sound to some people, I genuinely believe Rush's last album will be Clockwork Angels and their final tour will likely follow. Whether that is 1 leg or 2 legs I'm not sure but I do believe the "Clockwork Angels" tour will be their last...mainly because I think Neil will call it quits and be a daddy and husband.

This is an interesting quote from Neil:

I feel a certain urgency, I really want to get that record made while I'm still able to," he says. "It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can."

Sounds code for "my last hurrah and I want to go out blazing"

So with all that being said, I have some predictions about what the tour may look like. It sounds like the boys are really putting their heart and soul into this album, recognizing it may be their last. They want to bring the old school complexity and concept to their ability to play better than ever and I suspect this will be their crowning achievement, one they will be very proudly play in it's entirety on the clockwork angels tour.

I think we may all get some version of the "B-Sides" tour a lot of us have hoped for.

I think playing MP in it's entirety every night for 2 years has burned the boys out on that album, and they may in fact scrap MP as well as a lot of the other "classics" they've played forever

I see the same lengthy set with the 1st half being the Clockwork Angels album and the 2nd half being songs Rush wants to play that they haven't as often as they like.

I think the tour consists of smaller venues (4,000-7,000) since they won't play a lot of the classics. Though they may charge an arm and a leg knowing the die hards will come

Thoughts?

I think you may have it about right sad.gif , though I do hold out hope for a final R40 tour after the CA tour.

I do think CA may be their last album. sad.gif I think it may pretty lengthy, maybe even a double CD (a la Tales From Topographic or Lamb Lies Down), despite some folks around here pining for a SHORTER 35-40 minute new album. confused13.gif

And I would guess that the CA setlist will feature most or all of CA, a couple of "new" deep tracks, and most of the bigger hits to bring in the casual fans.

Still, Neil did surprise me by doing a second TM tour leg, so maybe they have more left in the tank than we're thinking.

They will never NOT play Tom Sawyer, Limelight or Spirit of Radio. They will be in every setlist 'til they're done as a touring band. I'll guess 3/4 of CA as well as at least one from T4E and one from VT and one from S&A (likely Far Cry). Overture/Priests is almost for sure as is Working Man (because it's such an awesome showcase for Al). Either Freewill or CTTH but I'm gonna say not both. I think Dreamline returns (fingers crossed) and something from Presto as well and maybe New World Man or Animate come back. Either YYZ or La Villa stay, but not both IMO. Finally a couple of surprises of which Jacob's Ladder is very likely since it keeps getting voted as most want to hear song. There'll be 2 or so more that no one sees coming (like Presto this last tour).

I'm also in the R40 will happen group but I do believe that Neil will only agree to it if the other two agree to it being the last tour (unannounced of course). That one will be a "biggest hits" grand finale IMO.

The whole thing about it being their final album, it may well be, but I dont think we'll know that until one of them passes away.

Cant see them announcing retirement. I think that they would just stop making albums since Neil is admitting that he isnt sure how much longer he can do this. He certainly sounds like this might be the last one. So once they cant do it anymore, they would just stop and that would be it. Dont know about them making an official announcement.

Why? Because after Neil's losses, Geddy and Alex both said they thought the band was over and were unsure if he would ever come back. Hell Neil didnt even play drums for 4 or 5 years, not even just once he said, and they never announced anything. They just hung around and kept quiet.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 7 2011, 04:39 PM)
Cant see them announcing retirement. I think that they would just stop making albums since Neil is admitting that he isnt sure how much longer he can do this. He certainly sounds like this might be the last one. So once they cant do it anymore, they would just stop and that would be it. Dont know about them making an official announcement.

Yeah, I don't think any of them will ever announce "I'm retiring from Rush" or that there will be a "Rush calling it quits" announcement. They'll likely just stop recording and touring, leaving their options open like most bands.

And I don't think Rush would announce a "farewell tour" like The Eagles eyesre4.gif , though a R40 tour could essentially become their farewell tour. sad.gif

Edited by PariahDog