i'm not saying it's not awesome looking..

jdouglas

here's what I found about the eBay lister:

Registrar WHOIS: Domain Registration Services

Domain Name: TTMGUITARS.COM

TTM SUPERSHOP USA CUSTOM BUILT GUITARS

74068 JERI LANE

PALM DESERT, CA 92211

US

Administrative Contact: (699693-DRSS)

Benedict, Lance TTMGuitars@mac.com

^ seems like he's a 'legit' luthier, but his website is a one-pager, with no mention of the Lifeson guitar

what this guy did is what thousands of custom shops/craftsmen do all day long

build prototypes (guitars, basses, drums etc) and send them to famous people for free, hoping for an endorsement

Alex didn't commission it, so it has zero to do with his sound, specs, or even Rush in general

that Alex was flattered by Lance's gesture in making the guitar is nice, but it's got no tangible collector's value

it is a (by looks alone, well-made) hand-made guitar with Rush graphics

I can think of 4,495 better ways to spend that kind of bread, especially on anything Rush-related

(check the auction on July 10th, I think we'll find it was a 'NO SALE')

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 6 2011, 11:47 AM)
here's what I found about the eBay lister:

Registrar WHOIS: Domain Registration Services
Domain Name: TTMGUITARS.COM

TTM SUPERSHOP USA CUSTOM BUILT GUITARS
74068 JERI LANE
PALM DESERT, CA 92211
US
Administrative Contact: (699693-DRSS)
Benedict, Lance TTMGuitars@mac.com

^ seems like he's a 'legit' luthier, but his website is a one-pager, with no mention of the Lifeson guitar

what this guy did is what thousands of custom shops/craftsmen do all day long

build prototypes (guitars, basses, drums etc) and send them to famous people for free, hoping for an endorsement

Alex didn't commission it, so it has zero to do with his sound, specs, or even Rush in general

that Alex was flattered by Lance's gesture in making the guitar is nice, but it's got no tangible collector's value

it is a (by looks alone, well-made) hand-made guitar with Rush graphics

I can think of 4,495 better ways to spend that kind of bread, especially on anything Rush-related

(check the auction on July 10th, I think we'll find it was a 'NO SALE')

Exactly right.

This guy is hoping a sucker won't think of all that and think they're getting an actual piece of Alex gear. Meanwhile, any one of us could build a kit guitar and put those graphics on it for less than $1,000.

I'm sure the guitar plays great, but not $4k great. Plus, the design is a little too 80's-riffic for me. Waaaay too busy. Edited by ioc

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 6 2011, 10:47 AM)

The site seems to have several pages; but, yeah no Lerxst mentions. He does seem to have a few other artist endorsements, though.

Guess ya can't fault a guy for spinning whatever he can to get his name out there. I'm learning lutherie myself and at some point will need to figure out how to support myself doing it.

It's awesome-looking but I wouldn't shell out that much money if it was signed and endorsed by Lerxst himself.

However, it would be something cool to hang on the wall or whatever. Just as a collection piece.

rofl3.gif

I highly doubt Mr. Lifeson has ever seen or laid hands on this monstrosity.

This looks like a generic super-strat knock-off that somebody has gone to town on with a bunch of Rush stickers and some Podge-It.

I also like the Zero positive feedback - nice touch to warn people away from buying anything from you.

I surely hope there isn't anyone out there who will fall for this.

ew

I think its awesome lookin'...

Its got all the album covers that RUSH

has ever released..I think it's B*tchin... 2.gif

somebody put alot of time/effort/work

into that one...thats for sure. yes.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (ewblank @ Jul 6 2011, 11:46 AM)
I also like the Zero positive feedback - nice touch to warn people away from buying anything from you.

That IS suspicious. I love how he's only sold a TON of the same $0.10 item, all to the same buyer on the same day.

If I were to give him the benefit of a doubt, I'd say he just doesn't use ebay that much...maybe only when he has items he's really trying to unload or for items that really need extra exposure like this Lerxst-rocity.

It also just occurred to me that, even if he wanted to, it's possible that Al couldn't endorse this guitar by virtue of his current endorsement deal with Gibson.

(still, it all smells fishy)

Looks cool, but, essentialy a slightly overpriced piece of artwork?

He should show a pic of Mr. Lifeson's "lengthy full page letter complimenting us on our design, dedication and craftsmanship."

Um yeah. unsure.gif

What you guys said. Don't think Alex would ever play something so ... er... tacky?... on stage. It does look like a cheap Strat knock-off with Rush stickers. Maybe worth a few hundred but almost 5K? Puh-leeze! eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 6 2011, 04:50 PM)
it's beautiful.

I know, right. I can tell ya, Jeff Healey would have loved it.

The artwork looks great, he's clearly spent a long time designing and making it.

I don't like the black area around the bridge though - the rest of the design is really busy so that part just looks a little odd, if you ask me.

Sorry, but just because it has album graphics does not mean it is cool or looks good. The body looks cheap. The neck inlay looks ok but that's as far as I will go. $400-$500 value tops.

And who here knows the details of Alex's endorsement deals? Apparently the deal with Gibson is not exclusive as he played 2 PRS and Fender on the tour, technically 3 PRS because there seemed to a new one on the second leg. If he were exclusively bound to Gibson he couldn't appear with another manufacturers guitar. Alex has never been one to be exclusive. I never saw him play a Carvin but he was featured in one of their catalogs sitting on one of their amps holding one of their guitars. At the same time he appeared in ads for Dean Markley amps which he used on tour for a tour or two.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 7 2011, 01:20 PM)
And who here knows the details of Alex's endorsement deals? Apparently the deal with Gibson is not exclusive as he played 2 PRS and Fender on the tour, technically 3 PRS because there seemed to a new one on the second leg. If he were exclusively bound to Gibson he couldn't appear with another manufacturers guitar. Alex has never been one to be exclusive. I never saw him play a Carvin but he was featured in one of their catalogs sitting on one of their amps holding one of their guitars. At the same time he appeared in ads for Dean Markley amps which he used on tour for a tour or two.

True. Who knows? God knows I don't.

But it's still possible, I'd wager. The way I understand it, endorsement deals don't usually involve what an artist can or can not play, but what a manufacturer can or can not advertise. I'd just be interested to know if the guy's completely full of $h!t or is overstating a thank you letter or if Al really does think highly of the instrument but can't easily publicly endorse it.

It's hard to be critical without inspecting the guitar hands on. It could be a quailty guitar, or it could be a $300 ibanez like superstrat made of basswood..bottom line is the risk is too high.

The graphics are nice, yes a bit uneven, but it is pretty original....nobody here thought of it. If it looks like a factory paint job under the clearcoat i'd say it is a good job.

I think he would have had better success if he paid attention to what alex likes. Duncan sh4 are nice pickups, but alex never played them, he should have put in classic 57s. The ebody fretboard is a nice touch imo, but again not what alex mostly plays. I can only hope it is a real floyd and not licensed. Also on the plus side, it is a set neck, not a bolt on. It looks like an ibanez sas series, which sell for under $500 (not saying it is, just looks like it). There is not mention of wood type in the ad.

It will probably hang in alex's or one of his friends studio, never to be played.

That is sooo... ugly, not even as good as a bad photoshop, It looks like a kid cut out pictures of Rush albums from a magazine, pasted them on a guitar and shellacked over it.

Note the bad "question" at the bottom, written by a friend, no doubt and the seller says that he "presented" this to Alex and Alex responds with a "full page letter", whatever that means. If the seller really expects to sell this guitar for above whatever the base guitar is worth he needs to at least offer the "full page letter" with it. Maybe he could raise the price by $50 if the letter was personally written and signed.

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (mrbarlint @ Jul 10 2011, 10:09 AM)
Relisted at $2,995 or best offer. He already declined one offer.

Ha! Figures. Got two words for that guy:

Getting

Warmer