What to listen to next?

Czarcasm

Hey guys, I'm getting into rush more and more each day and I don't know where the next logical step would be.

I have: MP, PW, Caress of steel (foolishly) and Rush (Debut) Plus some greatest hits collections.

I hear good things about 2112 a lot around here, but I'm not too keen on the Sci fi theme. Even more so after CoS. If the music is genuinely good I'll consider. Right now I'm looking at Fly By Night, Hemispheres and Signals, all albums from different periods in Rush's history. I've heard good songs from each and now I'm curious as to which you lot think is best for a noob. laugh.gif

As a side note, I don't mind long songs in the slightest, I'm a Huge Pink Floyd fan. Any input is greatly appreciated. biggrin.gif

Well, first off I highly recommend that you put CoS back on and sit down and listen to it with headphones on. It is an amazing album and Fountain is absolutely fantastic. However, if you like MP and PeW so much then you will like Signals. If you are feeling more adventurous then give Hemispheres a try.

In order...

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Fly by Night

Grace Under Pressure

Then... if you like hard rock -

Test for Echo

Counterparts

If you prefer not quite as hard rock -

Presto

Roll the Bones

If you prefer lots of keyboards/synths -

Signals

Hold Your Fire

Power Windows

Alternative rock -

Vapor Trails

Acoustic guitars -

Snakes and Arrows

That should cover it all. smile.gif

Hopefully everyone agrees on the categories.

Drop whatever you are doing and get on the phone and call around to find out the closest store that has Hemispheres. While obeying all safe driving laws get to the store as quickly as you can.

I'm excited for you to be able to experience Hemispheres for the first time. I suggest getting rid of all distractions (turning off phones, getting away from the family, etc...) and then crank it up loud.

2112 and A Farewell To Kings are mandatory as well.

BTW - You did not foolishly get COS. It's only the greatest album of all time. It is probably the one album that takes getting used to and grows on you like no other in the Rush catalogue. Ancient Ways is correct in that headphones add to the COS experience. cool10.gif helps too.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 29 2011, 07:39 PM)
Drop whatever you are doing and get on the phone and call around to find out the closest store that has Hemispheres.

yes.gif

You won't be disappointed with Hemispheres, I promise!

The 3 albums you mentioned are all great so you really can't go wrong.

...and don't forget about Grace Under Pressure if you're looking for a good synth album.

1022.gif

expand in both ways - up the chronology with 'Signals' and 'Grace Under Pressure' and down with 'Hemispheres' and 'A Farewell To Kings' - you can't go wrong!!!

Or get the Live Classics 'All The World's A Stage' - 'Exit...Stage Left' and 'A Show Of Hands' and find yourself the songs you like most then get the studio versions of them - that's what I did several hundred years ago.

Cheers and happy discovering

I would say Hemispheres, Signals, and 2112.

Hemispheres pros:

2.gif at the height of their "Hey, look what we can do!!!" phase.

Long epic musical masterpieces.

Lots of drums, bass, and guitar with a little synth thrown in for flavor.

Hemispheres cons:

Geddy's voice is really high and shieking and might be hard to understand.

Long songs, you only get 4 so there's little variety.

Signals pros:

Shorter, well written, melodic songs.

A great blend of synth, guitar, bass, and drums.

Much more mature sound, finale of the PW, MP, Sig trilogy.

Signals cons:

Keyboards overshadow guitar.

Recording quality is a little muddy. (Get the newest remastering)

2112 pros:

Epic story in 2112, great story, music, and playing.

Nice variety of music in the huge 2112, followed by 5 shorter rockin' (except tears) tunes.

2112 cons:

Geddy's voice can is a little shrieking and can be hard to understand.

Any one of those records would be a great choice, but all 3 are must haves. I'm sure shortly after you pick any one up, you'll want more.

here's an idea, just sit down and listen to every album. at least once. thats what I did after I had listened to just a little bit of Rush previously. Im glad I did because now, I like about 80 to 90 % of songs in their career.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 29 2011, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 29 2011, 07:48 PM)
Right now I'm looking at Hemispheres

I don't mind long songs in the slightest

then look no further. You now know what you must do......

yes.gif I agree, given your criteria.

Then pick up AFTK next.

Wow, thanks for all the help guys! biggrin.gif

I've heard about how great hemispheres is and I'm considering getting it. The only issue is that I have La Villa and The trees on greatest hits collections. (I loved Villa and The Trees was good)

I've sampled circumstances on youtube a few times, but it didn't do much for me.

So my question for you now is, is it worth getting the album for side one and rebuying the other tracks along with it? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 30 2011, 03:31 PM)
I've heard about how great hemispheres is and I'm considering getting it. The only issue is that I have La Villa and The trees on greatest hits collections. (I loved Villa and The Trees was good)
I've sampled circumstances on youtube a few times, but it didn't do much for me.

So my question for you now is, is it worth getting the album for side one and rebuying the other tracks along with it? confused13.gif

yes.gif Hemispheres is Rush's best song, and I'm sure many would agree. I had the exact same dilemma, but I hadn't sampled Circumstances yet. Best buy of my life. biggrin.gif

In short, yes. smile.gif

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 30 2011, 03:31 PM)

If you're unsure, check out some of the other suggestions. Side one of Hemis is one long song that, musically repeats itself a lot. Try some of the other stuff and eventually you will get to Hemis.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

I ended up getting Hemispheres and I gotta say, I'm really loving it, even after only 3 listens.

Hemispheres is probably their best side-long epic I've heard thus far, The Trees is a great radio friendly tune, La Villa may just be my favourite song by them now, and even Circumstances has grown on me considerably after listening to the keyboard section.

I'm sure it's an album that I'll grow to like more and more with each listen.

Thanks again.

Next Stop: SIGNALS!

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jul 2 2011, 12:50 PM)
I ended up getting Hemispheres and I gotta say, I'm really loving it, even after only 3 listens.

Hemispheres is probably their best side-long epic I've heard thus far, The Trees is a great radio friendly tune, La Villa may just be my favourite song by them now, and even Circumstances has grown on me considerably after listening to the keyboard section.

Thanks again.

That's awesome that you like Hemispheres. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

However, I would go with A Farewell to Kings if you love Hemi. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 2 2011, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jul 2 2011, 12:50 PM)

Thanks again.

That's awesome that you like Hemispheres. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

However, I would go with A Farewell to Kings if you love Hemi. confused13.gif

Good advice, you must next get A Farewell to Kings!

Glad that you're liking Hemispheres, it is quite a bit of ear candy. Don't forget to go back and revisit CoS, it will hit you someday and you'll love it.