Anybody else like most of their work?

StuartBruce

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, this is difficult to answer, as I suppose it is to some long time fans.

When I was introduced to 2.gif 30 years ago with the exception of Rivendell and couple of songs off the first record I LOVED everything they produced and that stayed true up until about '91 with the exception of Superconductor...I even thought Tia Shan was great. So I was hovering around the 95-97% percent....Total Fanboy.

Since then with CP, and T4E I'd say about 20%, and although a lot of people didn't like VT or S&A I did with about 50%.

But as time has gone by I find I'm only liking stuff from '75-'82 and only about 75% of that....So if I have to come up with a number I can say maybe 50%. But it was once as high as 97%. Doesn't mean I hate it, but just grown out of it.

A bulk of the material I could take or leave comes from their first three albums.

I would say they have about a dozen to a dozen and half tunes I never if ever listen to.

The rest I like to love.

But let's not be blind. Rush has written some real stinkers as all bands have done in their career.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2011, 06:45 AM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

I mean, you don't like a single song on TFE?

How in the world do songs like Time & Motion or Test For Echo, or even Driven for that matter be disliked while The Speed of Love is on your list?

(For the record, as I stated before, I enjoy all their songs and that definitely includes TSOL. I'm just really baffled at how someone can be a fan of TSOL and find absolutely no rewarding qualities in T&M!)

Time & Motion >>>>>>>>> The Speed of Love wink.gif

T4E = 0/11

Kind of surprised by this one.

Test For Echo has some redeeming tracks on it I think.

You don't like "Driven" or "Half The World"?

Even RTB for you had one more track than TFE.....that's almost insulting. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 22 2011, 12:17 PM)
T4E = 0/11

Kind of surprised by this one.

Test For Echo has some redeeming tracks on it I think.

You don't like "Driven" or "Half The World"?

Even RTB for you had one more track than TFE.....that's almost insulting. rofl3.gif

Its just standard issue 90s rock to me. There's nothing memorable to me about that album. That other guy didnt like any songs on it and there's a couple I dont skip if they show up randomly on my ipod, but for the most part that album is awful and its down at the bottom of everything theyve ever done.... for me.

I too am in that 75-80% crowd. And agree with Pariah on Presto and the fact S&A is overall the most "likable" album from a number-of-songs standpoint in a long time.

What worries me is how the so-called "classic" rock station in Los Angeles(KLOS) might soon have me DIS-liking songs. I swear that station believes the only two songs RUSH ever recorded were "Tom Sawyer" and "Spirit of Radio." But there is hope. The new "classic" station(100.3) played "Fly By Night," the other day and it felt refreshing. Thank goodness at least one radio program director might realize there are great songs that need a break once in awhile.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2011, 10:14 AM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

How in the world do songs like Time & Motion or Test For Echo, or even Driven for that matter be disliked while The Speed of Love is on your list?

(For the record, as I stated before, I enjoy all their songs and that definitely includes TSOL. I'm just really baffled at how someone can be a fan of TSOL and find absolutely no rewarding qualities in T&M!)

I love the vibe on CP - I like that it's rocking with the stripped down sound, but mostly I like it because of the songs. Sure, not all of them are top of the heap, but even the weaker ones are still pretty good. The first four songs especially are truly outstanding.

I like how they took on various issues and the philosophical statements in the songs. Yeah, it gets borderline corny at times, but I just don't mind that. Great solid album.

T4E just sounds like hard rock that I find pretty uninspiring, and some of the songs have downright embarrssing lyrics like T4E, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem. There's nothing on this album I really actively hate (I reserve that for VT), but there's nothing I really ever want to hear either. Driven is easily the best song, but I don't know, maybe it's just a bit too aggressive for me somehow? Not enough melody? I just don't dig the album very much.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2011, 06:01 PM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

I love the vibe on CP - I like that it's rocking with the stripped down sound, but mostly I like it because of the songs. Sure, not all of them are top of the heap, but even the weaker ones are still pretty good. The first four songs especially are truly outstanding.

I like how they took on various issues and the philosophical statements in the songs. Yeah, it gets borderline corny at times, but I just don't mind that. Great solid album.

T4E just sounds like hard rock that I find pretty uninspiring, and some of the songs have downright embarrssing lyrics like T4E, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem. There's nothing on this album I really actively hate (I reserve that for VT), but there's nothing I really ever want to hear either. Driven is easily the best song, but I don't know, maybe it's just a bit too aggressive for me somehow? Not enough melody? I just don't dig the album very much.

At least you gave TFE a chance. I personally love the album, but I guess it isn't for everybody. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 22 2011, 03:51 PM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

At least you gave TFE a chance. I personally love the album, but I guess it isn't for everybody. confused13.gif

Oh sure, I've listened to it MANY times. I don't hate it, it just doesn't do much for me personally...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 22 2011, 03:51 PM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

Oh sure, I've listened to it MANY times. I don't hate it, it just doesn't do much for me personally...

That's odd. I find myself not even wanting to give it a chance.

CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

I hear ya Goobs.

As I've stated numerous times before, COUNTERPARTS is just awesome. To me, it probably sits somewhere in my Top 6-8 Rush albums. So yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of CP.

Songs like Animate, Cut To The Chase, and LTTA all rank extremely high on my list of favourite Rush songs ever.

I know you're not alone from what I've seen on here, but I guess I've always had trouble wrapping my head around the fact that so many people "hate" TFE. I mean, I always thought it was a solid album. Lots of great moments on it IMO.

Specifically, TIME & MOTION. To me, it's the best song on TFE, and even though it's only 5 minutes long, it packs a sort of 'epic' punch to it. A progressive song that contains the 'Rush Sound' IMO. I just find it hard to believe that 'The Speed of Love' could rank higher than it for anyone!

But hey, what do I know. I'm one of like maybe 3 people who actually LOVES Virtuality. It's easily in my Top 3-4 on TFE. laugh.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 23 2011, 09:49 AM)
But hey, what do I know. I'm one of like maybe 3 people who actually LOVES Virtuality. It's easily in my Top 3-4 on TFE. laugh.gif ph34r.gif

Test For Echo is a solid album, and an admirable followup to CP.

If the tragedies had not happened in Neil's life, we would have likely had a solid album in 1999 to add to the collection.

I have Test For Echo ranked #10 on my albums list. I have CP at #5 and VT at #13, so yes, IMO there certainly was a decline there, before S&A, which I still have at #7.

And I think Half The World is an awesome track. yes.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2011, 05:09 AM)
Do you know what, I must be the only one here who absolutely loves everything Rush has done, from the debut album of 1974 to Snakes & Arrows, including Caravan and BU2B. I don't have a bad word to say about any of their songs, and I don't understand what the problem is with the 'production' on Vapor Trails, mainly because I can't hear what's wrong. Maybe I'm too easy to please, maybe I'm an idiot, I don't know, but I can't help it. I admit that I'm proud of their songs.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

You aren't the only one, there are a few of us here.

trink39.gif

If I can like even one song off an album, I consider that a success. Other bands I may like 2 songs off one album, and an album that came out a few years later, may even still have the same sound, but I won't like it. So far, there is only one album that I don't like any songs off of, and that is Caress of Steel. I'm working really hard on that one. tongue.gif

With all the experimentation and progression in their musical sound, I'm astonished I like so much of their work. It's one of the reasons why Rush has remained a personal favorite of mine. All the time I keep giving new songs a try that I have simply skipped or didn't grow on me the first time, and usually I'm adding at least 2 more songs to my collection. It's really fun to dig through their discography, and discover another gem. laugh.gif

A little diversion, but it's funny how I have progressed over the years in my favorite bands. I started out with Electric Light Orchestra as a personal favorite for a couple years, a couple more years go by, Foreigner became a favorite, and then not even a year later to Rush. I guess I needed time to move towards their awesomeness! wub.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 23 2011, 09:49 AM)
CP = 11/11
T4E = 0/11

Seriously Goobs??!

I hear ya Goobs.

As I've stated numerous times before, COUNTERPARTS is just awesome. To me, it probably sits somewhere in my Top 6-8 Rush albums. So yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of CP.

Songs like Animate, Cut To The Chase, and LTTA all rank extremely high on my list of favourite Rush songs ever.

I know you're not alone from what I've seen on here, but I guess I've always had trouble wrapping my head around the fact that so many people "hate" TFE. I mean, I always thought it was a solid album. Lots of great moments on it IMO.

Specifically, TIME & MOTION. To me, it's the best song on TFE, and even though it's only 5 minutes long, it packs a sort of 'epic' punch to it. A progressive song that contains the 'Rush Sound' IMO. I just find it hard to believe that 'The Speed of Love' could rank higher than it for anyone!

goodpost.gif You're not alone on Virtuality. My 2nd fav song on TFE. As I said, an awesome album. Easily in my top 5. smile.gif