Rush reference in Rap song

A Farewell to Things

Hasn't been mentioned here yet so I'll do the honors.

Rapper Tech N9ne has a quite obvious reference to our boys in his song "Rock and Roll N***a". He mentions listening "...to Geddy, Alex, and Neil Purt"

I say Purt because that is a good onomatopoeia of when people mispronounce it. But in all fairness to mister N9ne, it would not rhyme without it.

You can catch the song on utube here. Skip to 2:10 to get to the verses about the guys, but I honestly think the whole song itself is pretty badass and enjoyable, which is especially rare considering it is from a genre that IMO usually needs to be spelled with a C in front of it.

Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 10 2011, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jun 10 2011, 09:36 PM)
Enjoy and discuss...

Sorry.. It's going to be hard for me to do either tongue.gif

X2

I guess it's unfortunate and you can call me close-minded but to me all rap is crap and I just will never ever listen to it. I have heard enough and even the supposed underground "good rap" and it is still mostly shit. So sorry, bye bye, screw me and my close-mindedness.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 10 2011, 11:57 PM)
Enjoy and discuss...

X2

I guess it's unfortunate and you can call me close-minded but to me all rap is crap and I just will never ever listen to it. I have heard enough and even the supposed underground "good rap" and it is still mostly shit. So sorry, bye bye, screw me and my close-mindedness.

goodpost.gif Oh don't get me wrong, I agree 100%, I just meant that it is interesting to see Rush's influence in such a different category, even if that category doesn't deserve the light of day.

You know what, I quite like that, for rap. Best thing is, it's not a piss take; it appears from the lyrics that the guy genuinely is a rock fan. Kudos to him for being more open minded than some wink.gif

My wife asked me if I knew any black Rush fans, and I had to say that in the UK I've only ever seen white people at their gigs. Apart from the traditions involved, we couldn't work out why there should be black and white music.

Sad really, especially as the guy who got me into Rush at school was black.

Mark

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jun 11 2011, 12:38 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 10 2011, 11:57 PM)
Enjoy and discuss...

X2

goodpost.gif Oh don't get me wrong, I agree 100%, I just meant that it is interesting to see Rush's influence in such a different category, even if that category doesn't deserve the light of day.

mhmm.. Though we already did see this with Kanye West and KC / Jon Anderson tongue.gif

Yes, it is pretty cool to see rappas payin' da tributes.. tho i dunno if dis guy is completely reel, if ya know wut I'm spittin' neil purt.

Edited by Kenneth

Not a big rap fan either, but props to Tech N9ne for showing appreciation for Rush...and rock music, in general, which the song is about. Makes you wonder if other rappers are the same way, but are too scared to admit their OWN love for rock music in THEIR music, in fear of being "outted"...hmmm....

trink38.gif

rap is rock! yes.gif

I heard that Tech N9ne was good. That was killer.

Any song that incorporates lynyrd skynyrd, public enemy and rush is ok with me.

Hell he just mentioned the Bad Brains! If you don't know about them , you should.......

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 11 2011, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 11 2011, 07:53 AM)
haha! never heard this one before. does the sample sound familiar?

Mellow Man Ace- Hip Hop Creature

1022.gif

nice. i have heard that its but been years ( close to 20 yikes ). that was a better use of the song than in the mellow man ace song.

I knew about YBT because of their association with public enemy and hank shocklee. I am a huge old PE fan.

2.gif permeates pop culture!

Used to be into rap a lifetime ago. Not my thing anymore but listened to this one. Cool!! cool.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 11 2011, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 11 2011, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 11 2011, 07:53 AM)
haha! never heard this one before. does the sample sound familiar?

Mellow Man Ace- Hip Hop Creature

1022.gif

nice. i have heard that its but been years ( close to 20 yikes ). that was a better use of the song than in the mellow man ace song.

I knew about YBT because of their association with public enemy and hank shocklee. I am a huge old PE fan.

2.gif permeates pop culture!

I did a JayZ vs Roll the Bones mashup if you want to hear it.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 11 2011, 12:57 AM)
Enjoy and discuss...

X2

goodpost.gif You don't have to apologize, all rap is crap. wink.gif

http://mimg.ugo.com/201104/6/3/7/185736/picard-facepalm.jpg

I think I preferred the youtube video that remixed Tom Sawyer with a Miley Cyrus song.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 11 2011, 07:26 PM)
http://mimg.ugo.com/201104/6/3/7/185736/picard-facepalm.jpg

I think I preferred the youtube video that remixed Tom Sawyer with a Miley Cyrus song.

Right. You're going to have to give us a link now.

In return:

ITT: narrowminded TRFers (but I repeat myself) and a few open-minded members