The Larger Bowl

LeaveMyThingAlone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Larger Bowl... and Roll the Bones.

'Some are blessed and some are cursed'

'Why does it happen? Because it happens.'

My favorite lines from two great songs. 1287.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2011, 05:50 PM)

+1 for Larger Bowl

+1 for Roll The Bones

I know this may come as a shock, coming from an unconditional Rush lover, but I cannot STAND The Larger Bowl. The lyrics come across as being whiny and hopeless. The music and melody are good, but I just can't separate the lyrics from the rest of the song. The lyrics make me 062802puke_prv.gif , and that's pretty unusual for me, being huge Neil fan in terms of song lyrics.

At least Roll The Bones had something about it that didn't make it seem so dismal.

(edit for typo)

Edited by Rushchick10

I've always liked the song.

And who gives a shit if he wrote about the topic before? Every lyricist, especially if they've been doing it for a long time, write about similar topics at some point. All that matters is if they do it well and you enjoy it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 24 2011, 05:20 PM)
What? Lyrics are hardly whiny...do you not see the hidden optimism? Part of that optimism has to do with the structure. This song is lyrical genius, yes.gif

Must be very hidden, because I have tried six ways from Sunday to find something to like about them. Just goes on an on about how life's not fair.

Damn straight life's not fair! Get off yer ass and do something about it!

I think what I rubs me the wrong way is this is coming from the man who once wrote: "Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more."

I know, I know...people change over time....blah, blah. I'm a big believer in creating your own future, and this song seems to imply that people don't have control over their lives at all. Just not buying it...sorry.

Like I said before, I am a HUGE fan of Neil's lyrics, so this was rather disappointing for me.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 24 2011, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2011, 05:50 PM)

+1 for Larger Bowl

+1 for Roll The Bones

This.

(And love you're signature image, BTW laugh.gif)

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 24 2011, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 24 2011, 07:07 PM)
"The Larger Bowl" was written with Fonzie in mind. "whoa whoa ho!"

eyesre4.gif

The Fonz said, "Ayyyyy." Joey Russo said, "Whoa."

Fonz said "whoa" also. Trust me, I grew up watching that show.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 24 2011, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 24 2011, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 24 2011, 07:07 PM)
"The Larger Bowl" was written with Fonzie in mind. "whoa whoa ho!"

eyesre4.gif

The Fonz said, "Ayyyyy." Joey Russo said, "Whoa."

Fonz said "whoa" also. Trust me, I grew up watching that show.

I was wrrrooooogh.

The Larger Bowl belongs at the bottom of a large bowl, filled with water.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ May 24 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 24 2011, 05:20 PM)
What? Lyrics are hardly whiny...do you not see the hidden optimism? Part of that optimism has to do with the structure. This song is lyrical genius, yes.gif

Must be very hidden, because I have tried six ways from Sunday to find something to like about them. Just goes on an on about how life's not fair.

Damn straight life's not fair! Get off yer ass and do something about it!

I think what I rubs me the wrong way is this is coming from the man who once wrote: "Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more."

I know, I know...people change over time....blah, blah. I'm a big believer in creating your own future, and this song seems to imply that people don't have control over their lives at all. Just not buying it...sorry.

Like I said before, I am a HUGE fan of Neil's lyrics, so this was rather disappointing for me.

To me it says the same thing. Life's not fair so deal with it. Notice how he says "IF" we're so much the same.

He's saying that we're not the same, so all this hippy shit has to stop and we decide if we are cursed or blessed. Don't just automatically think some are born cursed and blessed, because while it is definitely true, you can work at it to become what you need to be, and that is what the pattern of the lyrics represent.

Reminds me of the Van der Graaf Generator song "My Room." It's about being completely alone and knowing that you can never trust anyone, and that any promises result in broken heart. However, the song has a subtitle of "waiting for wonderland." Hidden in the depressing whiny lyrics is the fact that this character is waiting for something to happen. Hthat implies that if he didn't wait and found a way to make something happen, things could change. In fact, the next song on the album talks about making changes.

So in this case, the message has to be found. You fell for the trap, that it is a whiny song. Look past that and realize that the opposite of the song is what you're looking for, and you'll find that there.

Another example: Steven Wilson. He writes depressing lyrics, but he is a happy guy. Why? Because he uses the whiny lyrics to vent and then does the opposite, always throwing in a glimmer of hope. As rush fans, we're used to happy lyrics, so when Neil tries to write lyrics like these I don't think we look into them as much as we should.

Of course i could be completely wrong wink.gif

I like them both, and in the case of The Larger Bowl, I think it's because I've often wondered about the same things. Now I agree that people like us can do a lot to change our circumstances, but I think he has individuals in mind like people in the middle of a war zone who can't run fast enough to not get shot, or innocent prisoners of corrupt regimes who may never get out, or kids born in such malnutrition/disease that there really is no way they can ever become healthy. In other words, situations that even the worst-off of us can barely relate to, and when we try, don't leave us with much of an answer why, or even what to do about it (though I agree that we should try whatever we DO come up with). That angst is great fuel for a song IMO, and I like what they've done with it musically, as well as the emotional nature of the lyrics. Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 24 2011, 09:46 PM)
IMO, easily one of the worst songs they've ever written.....

"whoa, whoa, ho!" bolt.gif