Red Tide

liddybuck01

just came up on my iTunes. seriously, that main piano part gives me chills. idk why but this song sounds so haunting, imo.

anyone else dig this song??

Edited by liddybuck01

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 13 2011, 11:13 PM)
Yes! Great song!

Has a real sense of urgency to it.

Exactly!

Even the guitar solo is urgent and intense. My favorite line: "... it used to be something but we let it run down in our hands..." sad.gif

This song is truly amazing. One of the best songs from the Presto-Test for Echo era. Very good lyrics. I can really relate to them as I am very concerned about the environment. Actually, I was just going to start an appreciation thread for this song. You beat me to it! smile.gif

Disclaimer - I haven't listened to it in a really long time. I do remember not liking it much because I found it overtly preachy. Neil's more effective when he's subtle, and I didn't care for the sledgehammer-style message in "Red Tide".

I suppose I should take another listen - it's been a good fifteen years or so since I started hitting the "skip" button on Red Tide.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 14 2011, 10:01 AM)
Disclaimer - I haven't listened to it in a really long time. I do remember not liking it much because I found it overtly preachy. Neil's more effective when he's subtle, and I didn't care for the sledgehammer-style message in "Red Tide".

I suppose I should take another listen - it's been a good fifteen years or so since I started hitting the "skip" button on Red Tide.

I sing alog to it, but I don't pay too much attention to what the message is.

the music on this track is so amazing it's easy to forgive the lyrics.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ May 14 2011, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 14 2011, 10:01 AM)
Disclaimer - I haven't listened to it in a really long time.  I do remember not liking it much because I found it overtly preachy.  Neil's more effective when he's subtle, and I didn't care for the sledgehammer-style message in "Red Tide". 

I sing alog to it, but I don't pay too much attention to what the message is.

the music on this track is so amazing it's easy to forgive the lyrics.

Same here. I never really gave the lyrics that much thought. Its a good song but one of the weakest on Presto imo.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 14 2011, 11:01 AM)
Disclaimer - I haven't listened to it in a really long time.  I do remember not liking it much because I found it overtly preachy.  Neil's more effective when he's subtle, and I didn't care for the sledgehammer-style message in "Red Tide". 

No time like the present! cool.gif With lyrics too...

Red Tide

Red Tide is an awesome song musically and lyrically. I was shocked and disappointed when it didn't make the set list on the Presto tour. This song screamed for a great video and red lasers live. The song rocks and would rock live. Put it on the list of rare songs to play live that will never happen.

I think it was the first song I truly loved off of Presto. It's moved down a little bit since getting into the other stuff, but I still think it's a fantastic (and rarely discussed) song. The song has an atmosphere like no other on the album (and being a fan of synths, I can't argue with this track). The opening piano riff, the bouncy synth, the incredible (but short) solo--it's simply a wonderful song.

Piece about the song from the Rush FAQ:

http://www.nimitz.net/rush/faq3ans.html#133

Love it, and love singing along with it, especially the chorus, and the repeat of "let us not go gently into the endless winter night" with the changes each time. I'm never going to hear someone say "this is a test", "this is only a test", "this is not a test" or "false alarm" and not break into song ever again cool.gif

I love Red Tide, it's a great song for all of the reasons already states. I'm a tad biased though, as Presto is one of my favorite albums.

Easily my favorite from the record when it was released. It still sounds great even with the synthy part. I see it as a bridge from the 80s period to what they did on counterparts. I'm going to spin that record today.

Very good song. I've never thought about the "preachy" part of it but I guess I can see how some would think that. Most lyricists are preaching a message of some kind when they write so Neil's not doing anything different than what every other lyricist has done.