Styx: What's your opinion?

treeduck

STYX what's your take?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. STYX what's your take?

• 1 They're good, I have their three best albums, Pieces, Equinox, Illusion
    • 2 I like one or two songs of theirs, the rest I avoid
    • 3 They're a great, great band. I have all their albums, all are good.
    • 4 I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank
    • 5 I hate Styx, they suck, they should be called STYNX, de Young is a clown
    • 6 I've not heard anything by them, and I don't think I'd like them
    • 7 This is a band that passed me by, I have no opinion on them at all
    • 8 I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there
    • 9 I like Styx a little, musically, but I hate De young's vocals
    • 10 I used to like them but now I find them hard to listen to
    • 11 I used to hate them, I got into them recently but I'm no Styx freak
    • 12 I've never heard of Styx but maybe I'll check them out one day

Meh. Some great songs, some good songs and a lot of crap.

Styx first ten albums are a run of albums I absolutely adore.

The Wooden Nickel records were truly great little exercises in quirkiness. Once Kilroy comes into the picture, I am out.

• Like 3

Great timing for this thread to show up. I just found out a few hours ago that they're playing in my neighborhood later this year!

In '77, when I was 9, my brother gave me a mixtape with "Miss America" on it. I fell in love with it, so I promptly saved up to buy my first non-Beatles album: The Grand Illusion.

Lovely Wife and I are definitely making the 5-minute walk from my house to the amphitheater. It'll be a total nostalgia fest.

Not a fan, but no hater

Saw them last year with def leppard. Will admit they were tight live, but no plans to listen to an album in my life

Great band, unreasonably looked down upon for DeYoung's theatrics, the band's 80's commercialization, and everything post-Paradise Theater (though Kilroy is pretty forgettable to say the least, and pretty embarrassing to come right out with it, but there are a couple solid tunes there). They were magic on Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, and Paradise Theater, and very good on Pieces of Eight and Styx II. Other than Kilroy, I've yet to hear their other albums, though I am one of those saps who loves Babe. I wish I knew how to play that electric piano intro. Beauty.
  • Like 1

Great band, unreasonably looked down upon for DeYoung's theatrics, the band's 80's commercialization, and everything post-Paradise Theater (though Kilroy is pretty forgettable to say the least, and pretty embarrassing to come right out with it, but there are a couple solid tunes there). They were magic on Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, and Paradise Theater, and very good on Pieces of Eight and Styx II. Other than Kilroy, I've yet to hear their other albums, though I am one of those saps who loves Babe. I wish I knew how to play that electric piano intro. Beauty.

I have dipped into post Kilroy Styx. Worth returning too?

My sister was a fan, and I still have her original single of Renegade/Sing for the Day. But I never really got into them until lately. Album-wise, I really like Equinox, and someone gave me Cornerstone on vinyl back in the day. I've always liked that album for some reason, even though most here seem to hate it. Those two albums pretty much take care of the full range of Styx for me.
  • Like 1

My sister was a fan, and I still have her original single of Renegade/Sing for the Day. But I never really got into them until lately. Album-wise, I really like Equinox, and someone gave me Cornerstone on vinyl back in the day. I've always liked that album for some reason, even though most here seem to hate it. Those two albums pretty much take care of the full range of Styx for me.

Not pushing Styx on you, but Equinox was followed by Crystal Ball, and they share a similar magic.

Paradise Theater excellent.The rest hit n miss.

Styx are one of those bands where everything fits into place if I am in the mood.

But if not, I find the songs that miss are mostly DeYoung.

• Like 1

Paradise Theater excellent.The rest hit n miss.

Styx are one of those bands where everything fits into place if I am in the mood.

But if not, I find the songs that miss are mostly DeYoung.

Definitely,Segue!

• Like 1

Amazing talent, but a lot of cheese. They have felt more like Broadway than R & R IMHO.

The cheese of Styx is often a bit rotten. But I cannot deny that in the right mood, they fix a certain itch just right!

For some bizarre reason, I find DeYoung at his most annoying on the albums The Grand Illusion through to Cornerstone. And believe me, I love those albums (Cornerstone the least).

I can play the Wooden Nickel albums anytime, and Paradise Theater is the one album of Styx where they completely get away with all the theatricality!

When they tried it with Kilroy, it was a pitiable thing. I hate that record with a passion, it is to date the most infuriatingly bad album I have ever heard. I revisit it from time to time, and I never am able to finish it. And DeYoung is not the only one to blame. The whole band was insipid at that point.

• Like 1

Amazing talent, but a lot of cheese. They have felt more like Broadway than R & R IMHO.

The cheese of Styx is often a bit rotten. But I cannot deny that in the right mood, they fix a certain itch just right!

For some bizarre reason, I find DeYoung at his most annoying on the albums The Grand Illusion through to Cornerstone. And believe me, I love those albums (Cornerstone the least).

I can play the Wooden Nickel albums anytime, and Paradise Theater is the one album of Styx where they completely get away with all the theatricality!

When they tried it with Kilroy, it was a pitiable thing. I hate that record with a passion, it is to date the most infuriatingly bad album I have ever heard. I revisit it from time to time, and I never am able to finish it. And DeYoung is not the only one to blame. The whole band was insipid at that point.

Have the Wooden Nickel albums on in the car at the moment. They rock.

• Like 1

Suite Madam Blue / Miss America.... one is on my top ten, must have, songs from any rock artist. I would have loved to see this era of this band at this legendary place! Rock on!

https://www.youtube....h?v=uNZLi-xC7-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZLi-xC7-g"]https://www.youtube....h?v=uNZLi-xC7-g

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 1

2003's Cyclorama was a FINE album. The fact that they can't justify making a new album for 13 years now saddens me. More nostalgia-only bullshit touring until you puke. No thanks. You're a band. Make a f***in' record.

Was it now? Oooh I might give it a go!

Brave New World was hit and miss, but I liked a few songs.

2003's Cyclorama was a FINE album. The fact that they can't justify making a new album for 13 years now saddens me. More nostalgia-only bullshit touring until you puke. No thanks. You're a band. Make a f***in' record.

Yea lots of bands fall Back on that. Which is a shame. i know it's easy money but it's sad.

Mick

• Like 1

Yea lots of bands fall Back on that. Which is a shame. i know it's easy money but it's sad.

Mick

At least Kansas have returned to the studio!

• Like 2

Mick

um.....they have?

well knock me over.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

um.....they have?

well knock me over.

Mick

Yes! I follow them on Faceboob

• Like 1

Mick

um.....they have?

well knock me over.

Mick

Yes! I follow them on Faceboob

Many men love faceboob.......me included.

My inner 12 year old just laughed so hard, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1