News Weather & Sports

MCM

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 1 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 1 2011, 05:04 PM)
I don't think there's a person out there who isn't aware of Neil's stance on religion. He's mentioned it often enough.

If you don't like the "bellow belt",  please do yourself a favor and don't go there.

I am specifically referring to his May entry.

I really don't care what he personally thinks. I want him to play that freakin' kit!

Drumming is where he should put his focus. I think Geddy and Alex should write the lyrics.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 1 2011, 10:25 PM)
Is that how you interpret my post, or a personal opinion?

Sometimes, my innerweb context meter malfunctions.

both.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ May 1 2011, 04:59 PM)
Ummm...I just finished reading Neil's new post. It seems like some of the folks around here are a little thin skinned when it comes to the subject of Neil's view on religion. I'm not going to argue that point with anyone on this board. No need really. It's his opinion. If you don't like it, too bad.

Anyway, I did not walk away from that "article" with the impression that he's putting down religion, at all. He's asking questions, not stating fact.

My personal opinion of his faith, or lack thereof, reminds me of an old Woody Allen quote: "To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition."

As always, a good read.

This post sounds like it's written by someone who really agrees with Neil's views, so it's easy to say too bad if you don't like it and it's really not a put down.

Why should people have to be thick skinned when someone constantly attacks some of their core beliefs about life, especially from someone they're trying to hold on to some semblance of their respect for?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2011, 07:40 PM)
I guess when the well runs dry (more so lyrically, but musically too), you can always rehash the same lyrics over and over.....

Pretty much like several people with their posts here on the board eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 1 2011, 08:36 PM)
I guess when the well runs dry (more so lyrically, but musically too), you can always rehash the same lyrics over and over.....

sorry mang, just my opinion. I definately respect yours for loving S&A.....

trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2011, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 1 2011, 08:36 PM)

sorry mang, just my opinion. I definately respect yours for loving S&A.....

trink39.gif

Wasn't directed at you man. Just in general trink39.gif

Ugh, again with the beating of the dead horse.

To those of you sick of Neil writing like a "broken record" (to you): Why don't you repair your own scratches, lift the needle, move on, and let it be? It's clearly something that bothers him often enough that he feels compelled to write about it.

Personally I thought the article was interesting, as I've said. A slight, at the very least, deviation from his usual writings on the subject. Maybe I'm just interpreting it a little differently, though. (:

Edited by CMWriter

I will never understand the people who expect others to shape their art around popular demand. Neil will write about what Neil wants to write about: the songs still sound great, the points he makes (agree or not) are still thought provoking and compelling.

What are you guys complaining about, Neil is not a slave to what you want him to write about. Sick of it? Don't buy the new album.

...just baffling. He's a drummer, he's a lyricist. The drums and lyrics still work together to make good music, whether you agree or not! I don't see why anyone should complain beyond that. It's OK to like the things you disagree with- in fact, that's when you KNOW you've found a piece of art that is truly special.

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 1 2011, 09:59 PM)
I will never understand the people who expect others to shape their art around popular demand. Neil will write about what Neil wants to write about: the songs still sound great, the points he makes (agree or not) are still thought provoking and compelling.

What are you guys complaining about, Neil is not a slave to what you want him to write about. Sick of it? Don't buy the new album.

...just baffling. He's a drummer, he's a lyricist. The drums and lyrics still work together to make good music, whether you agree or not! I don't see why anyone should complain beyond that. It's OK to like the things you disagree with- in fact, that's when you KNOW you've found a piece of art that is truly special.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 2 2011, 04:59 AM)
The drums and lyrics still work together to make good music, whether you agree or not!.

Drums aren't music.

Lyrics aren't music.

Therefore Neil Purt is irrelevant to music. With his ever growing nose and ears and greying skin, he's even more of an elevant.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 2 2011, 06:18 AM)
The drums and lyrics still work together to make good music, whether you agree or not!.

Drums aren't music.

Lyrics aren't music.

Therefore Neil Purt is irrelevant to music. With his ever growing nose and ears and greying skin, he's even more of an elevant.

laugh.gif Good one. Time for milk, cookies and circle time! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 2 2011, 05:18 AM)

Drums aren't music.

Lyrics aren't music.

There is a saying among musicians: Rock drummers play beats. Jazz drummers play drums. It was first said by the late great Tony Williams.

Drums are music. When you feel a beat you like in your hips or start nodding your head your body will believe even if your brain does not.

As far as Neal's subject matter. Who effing cares. Like it or don't. Buy it or don't. I am a man of Faith. I attend church services on a regular basis. I also listen to Rush on a regular basis. I don't find any conflict there. If Neal Peart wants to debate me on the issue he is welcome to, but I am not holding my breath while waiting on him to do so. I am quite sure he has better things to do.

His soul is his own business. I do wish he would do something more about getting it in order for the future, but I also wish everyone would do that. tempted.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 30 2011, 11:23 PM)
Well, he wouldn't be criticized as much if he would simply stop criticizing religion.

When has Neil criticized religion? Saying you choose not to believe in it is not criticizing it. Saying there are thieves in temples and marketplaces is barely a religious statement, and it is true. It just means we got to look out for what we trust. I'm sure Neil respects religious people as long as they don't shove religion down his throat. And talking about how a character in a song was taught up to believe something and is now cast away from it has nothing to do with religion. What if your father abused your mother, and you were BU2B that was correct? Kids today are BU2B that it's okay to type lol or u instead of you. Learning that you don't have to believe what you were brought up to believe is an important part of life. Whether you choose to believe it or not is a different story. Neil points out how both sides have fallacies, so where is he being critical of religion? And no I am not a fanboi. It's just the truth.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 2 2011, 02:40 AM)

goodpost.gif

Sure as hell beats the same-old, same-old 99.9% of songs with the lyrical theme of "I LOOOOOOVVVVE YOU, BUT YOU DON'T LOOOOOVVE ME BACK, BOO-HOO"!

QUOTE (Mara @ May 2 2011, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 2 2011, 02:40 AM)

goodpost.gif

Sure as hell beats the same-old, same-old 99.9% of songs with the lyrical theme of "I LOOOOOOVVVVE YOU, BUT YOU DON'T LOOOOOVVE ME BACK, BOO-HOO"!

To all those guys with thin skin, just be glad Neil gave you natural science, hemispheres, bravado, dreamline, Tom Sawyer, a farewell to kings, prime mover, mission, resist, animate, available light, vital signs, fear, earthshine, far cry, bravest face, the fountain, the larger bowl, Xanadu, 2112, the camera eye, subdivisions, distant early warning, between the wheels, mystic rhythms, time stand still, limelight and the analog kid, along with 30+ more. Where the f**k are you going to find lyrics like those in another rock song? Yeah, just quite whining, skip the song and move on. You have every right to discuss the meaning of the song and your interpretation; in fact, Neil wants that. But for you to tell him to move on, to stop beating a dead horse, to give you something new?first, go get your wife and daughter killed after years of being ignored and having some crazy people following you around like stalkers. Then tell Neil to move on. And no, I am not a fanboi defending him...I'm just sick of how hurt some of you guys are. He's not your friend, never will be. Stop saying he should do something different. And besides, he's written only three songs out of 140+ stating that he doesn't believe. He'ss written many songs about honesty. Now why won't he stop writing about honesty? sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 2 2011, 09:27 AM)
Well, he wouldn't be criticized as much if he would simply stop criticizing religion.

When has Neil criticized religion? Saying you choose not to believe in it is not criticizing it. Saying there are thieves in temples and marketplaces is barely a religious statement, and it is true. It just means we got to look out for what we trust. I'm sure Neil respects religious people as long as they don't shove religion down his throat. And talking about how a character in a song was taught up to believe something and is now cast away from it has nothing to do with religion. What if your father abused your mother, and you were BU2B that was correct? Kids today are BU2B that it's okay to type lol or u instead of you. Learning that you don't have to believe what you were brought up to believe is an important part of life. Whether you choose to believe it or not is a different story. Neil points out how both sides have fallacies, so where is he being critical of religion? And no I am not a fanboi. It's just the truth.

He could have written that article without criticizing billboards. I know some of them can be over the top, but the article could have been so much better without taking another jab at Christians.

I mean was their some real need to call one section of the country the "bellow belt" simply because they have a different belief system than he does?

I call that criticizing believers. He's not exactly honoring anybody with his special presence simply because he happens to roll into town.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 2 2011, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 2 2011, 09:27 AM)

He could have written that article without criticizing billboards. I know some of them can be over the top, but the article could have been so much better without taking another jab at Christians.

I mean was their some real need to call one section of the country the "bellow belt" simply because they have a different belief system than he does?

I call that criticizing believers. He's not exactly honoring anybody with his special presence simply because he happens to roll into town.

Well how come believers can criticize atheists but atheists can't criticize believers? Because Neil has been a member of Rush for a long time doesn't mean he can't criticize.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 2 2011, 11:19 AM)

Well how come believers can criticize atheists but atheists can't criticize believers? Because Neil has been a member of Rush for a long time doesn't mean he can't criticize.

But according to you, Neil (atheist) isn't criticizing anybody.

Since he doesn't like theists, he doesn't have to visit areas that are populated by them.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 2 2011, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 2 2011, 11:19 AM)

But according to you, Neil (atheist) isn't criticizing anybody.

Since he doesn't like theists, he doesn't have to visit areas that are populated by them.

He's not criticizng anything, not in the songs. If he did criticize someone in his priavte life, why should anyone be concerned? And atheists have every right to be where they want to be, just like theists have every right to be where they want to be.

Forgive me, I was talking about the songs. But it's a small article and he's free to say as he wishes. He's a person and that's all. You're free to do as you wish as well, but you can not demand something from Neil just because; you can't ask him to change his views because they don't match yours. He will do what he wants. So get over it and quit talking about it. He's not beating a dead horse; it's you guys who are.