OLV > Far Cry

SeamusWiles

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 08:04 PM)
another completely underrated song from VT... Ceiling Unlimited. It's a classic... and Geddy is singing like it's the 70s.

YES. And it was wonderful live!!!!!!! I wish that was the VT representative at some point...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 1 2011, 08:14 PM)
another completely underrated song from VT... Ceiling Unlimited. It's a classic... and Geddy is singing like it's the 70s.

YES. And it was wonderful live!!!!!!! I wish that was the VT representative at some point...

I never got to see it live sad.gif

Unfortunately I think Geddy's voice has degraded over the last 10 years to the point where if he tried singing it now, he wouldn't be able to do it justice.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 07:59 PM)

Unfortunately I think Geddy's voice has degraded over the last 10 years to the point where if he tried singing it now, he wouldn't be able to do it justice.

I've heard a bootleg of it, and the vocals weren't pretty......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2011, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 07:59 PM)

I've heard a bootleg of it, and the vocals weren't pretty......

Tough, I admit. sad.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2011, 10:06 PM)
I like both songs. I think "Far Cry" is more melodic and it has a great chorus, one of Rush's best. So, I think you're wrong! tongue.gif

OLV < FarCry

yes.gif

in a head-to-head 'battle', Far Cry is easily the better song

I listen to Far Cry now and still get something out of it (includes one of their most addictive choruses)

OLV was interesting and exciting for two months (March to May 2002)

I listen to OLV now and get only a clunky, overwrought and annoying mish-mash

the single was an important milestone at the time, but is an empty shell without the historical reference markers of 'when' it happened and 'what' it was

ironically, in a head-to-head 'battle' VT is easily the better 'album' overall

trink39.gif

Yeah, you're right! Overall I will say, I think the remixes took alot of the 'punch' that should've stayed from the originals (as mentioned before, I think Earthshine got hurt the most from this).

But yeah...I would like to see more punch, but still keep the clarity of the remixes. The first time I heard the remixes, I immediately noticed Ged's BASS! It was awesome to hear!

That bass part from 0:31 to 0:34 is something I never could make out on the original recording. It sounds so awesome to me! I keep thinking of all the awesome "hidden" parts that could show up once the rest of the tracks are remixed! drool1.gif

Caravan > Far Cry > OLV

Far Cry and OLV are both awesome songs to rock out, too 1022.gif Far Cry is just a bit better... And just for the record, I like S&A, too. Just not Faithless no.gif The Larger Bowl is amazing new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 3 2011, 11:44 AM)
That bass part from 0:31 to 0:34 is something I never could make out on the original recording. It sounds so awesome to me! I keep thinking of all the awesome "hidden" parts that could show up once the rest of the tracks are remixed! drool1.gif

If it's the part I'm thinking of (during the intro of "One Little Victory"), I didn't even HEAR that bass on the original album! I was like, "Wait, did he ADD A BASS BIT to the recording, in addition to remastering it?" Incredible.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 3 2011, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 3 2011, 11:44 AM)
That bass part from 0:31 to 0:34 is something I never could make out on the original recording. It sounds so awesome to me! I keep thinking of all the awesome "hidden" parts that could show up once the rest of the tracks are remixed!  drool1.gif

If it's the part I'm thinking of (during the intro of "One Little Victory"), I didn't even HEAR that bass on the original album! I was like, "Wait, did he ADD A BASS BIT to the recording, in addition to remastering it?" Incredible.

That bit of bass in the intro makes me tingle with pleasure yes.gif

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ Apr 29 2011, 09:03 PM)
One Little Victory is such a superior song it isn't even fair. It's like comparing Moving Pictures and Presto.

Wrong. I hate "One Little Victory." The garbage mix doesn't help, especially the vocal production. Way better live. Still inferior to "Far Cry."

The remixes would be perfect without the change to the bass guitar sound. Sounds like pooh now. On the original record it had the overdriven intensity Geddy uses live. On the remixes it's extremely clean and the eq is weird.