Worst Memories of School Food

No bad memories for me. I think I'm alone on this one!

I loved anything and everything, especially the spaghetti. The hamburgers were good too. I only remember the lunches from elementary school though. Junior high and high school lunches didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Let it be known though, when I was a kid, we were dirt poor. When you have to eat generic cereal with water, school lunches are pretty damn yummy.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 4 2011, 09:06 PM)

I loved anything and everything, especially the spaghetti. The hamburgers were good too. I only remember the lunches from elementary school though. Junior high and high school lunches didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Let it be known though, when I was a kid, we were dirt poor. When you have to eat generic cereal with water, school lunches are pretty damn yummy.

cereal in water? ewwwyuck! It's GOTTA be better just to eat it dry.

peanut butter and jelly with a slice of government cheese plastered to the outside of the bread. God, it was disgusting

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 4 2011, 06:25 PM)

I had the option of putting powdered milk on my cereal but that stuff was so awful that I preferred water. Dry cereal was not an option for me. I had to have something on it.

When I was in sixth grade a girl found a FAIRLY LARGE INSECT crawling about in her green beans.

I took lunch to school for the rest of that year.

But that same year I got food poisoning from a fish sandwich and had to go home for the first time ever. Before that I never had to come home from school. And I know it had to be the food because a bunch of other people were in the nurse's office after eating, too!

But since then, no incidents. Thank goodness.

Except for the one time a girl found a hair in her mashed potatoes. Ew, nasty.

School lunches were moderately good for me before I hit 4th grade. The first school I went to always had nice hot food, great staff, nothing to complain about. I brown bagged rarely during those years.

Once I left for another school in 4th grade - and mind you this was a school that apparently "instituted healthy options" for lunches - it was terrible. Disgusting lunch ladies who wouldn't wear hair nets. One of them had a huge mole under her nose that freaked us all out. The food was either cold or lukewarm. Never had a really "hot" meal there. The only times I actually ate anything they served was when they had pizza days (delivered from Pizza Hut). Other than those rare occasions, I packed my own stuff or had my mom pick me up something from Subway.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 5 2011, 10:46 PM)
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01272/dip05nw8_JPG_1272275cl-8.jpg

Reminds me of stink bombs in elementary school! laugh.gif

Senior year we actually snuck off campus frequently for lunch. I think some teachers knew what we were up to, but since my little group was comprised of the top 10 or so ranked students in the class, they sort of looked the other way. Once Mrs. Shepherd caught up with us as we were sidling towards the exit. We thought we were so busted, but she just handed us some money and asked us to get her a small chili and a Frosty.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 4 2011, 08:33 PM)

I had the option of putting powdered milk on my cereal but that stuff was so awful that I preferred water. Dry cereal was not an option for me. I had to have something on it.

Sounds like we were in similar boats as kids. Growing up poor, elem school lunches were something I looked forward to, especially pizza, sloppy joes, or tacos. 653.gif

In Spanish they say, "Hunger makes good gravy". It certainly applied to most everything I ate as a kid. I only hated two foods - liver and canned peas. Both were cheap, so we ate them often.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 4 2011, 08:33 PM)

Sounds like we were in similar boats as kids. Growing up poor, elem school lunches were something I looked forward to, especially pizza, sloppy joes, or tacos. 653.gif

In Spanish they say, "Hunger makes good gravy". It certainly applied to most everything I ate as a kid. I only hated two foods - liver and canned peas. Both were cheap, so we ate them often.

Our high school served what it called ''personal pan pizzas". We had a more accurate name for it - "shit in a mitt''. It looked like a catcher's mitt made of soft half-baked dough, with a wad of cheese and some sad-looking shreds of pepperoni in the middle.

Once this girl in my fifth or sixth grade class found a centipede in her green beans.

Ever since then, I've never liked green beans, and I think we all boycotted school lunch for a week.

I'm trying to remember... it was so long ago eh.gif

In elementary school I brown-bagged it most of the time. Can't recall what school food I may have had then.

In Jr. High I remember tacos and pizza, both of which were passable. We had a selection of hot sandwiches that were similar to Arby's but they had stupid names like Big Texan and such. They were pretty good. But my favorite was these huge hot rolls with butter... might as well have just slapped them onto my hips. And the huge cookies, too.

In High School we had pretty much the same menu. By senior year, I'd go off campus, either to a nearby fast food or home (it was only a couple miles away). Some days I remember those hot rolls..... wub.gif

So I guess I'm saying I was lucky.

Edited by HowItIs