Atlas Shrugged: The Movie

Kozmo4Rush

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Apr 18 2011, 07:04 PM)
I read the movie is not that good. It was given one star. I'm just surprised someone made a movie out of it. I'd rather see a movie on Roadshow!

The movie may indeed not be any good, but thinking it sucks because of a bad review seems a bit out of place on a Rush Forum.

I would tend not to trust a review of this movie more than most, given the ideology behind the story.

The movie has gotten bad reviews from the mainstream (old) media because they never wanted it made in the first place. Fansites are giving it four out of five stars and it was either two or three at the box office this past weekend.

We are talking about it here because of the early Ayn Rand influence on Neil.

I haven't seen it yet because a local talk show host was very influential in getting the word out and theaters around here were packed. I'll see it next weekend.

I'll catch it on DVD. It's not that I don't want to see it - but yes, theaters are packed since it's such a limited release. Theater prices being what they are, I prefer to not have to deal with Other People's Noises. Or their Blackberrys/iPhones/Droids as they try to text the entire plot to their friends.

Plus I like being able to pause the action for a bathroom break. yes.gif

i'll be going for sure. big fan of this book. for those of you with your heads in the sand, go see it. For gosh sakes i watch those awful Michael moore movies

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 18 2011, 09:21 PM)
The movie has gotten bad reviews from the mainstream (old) media because they never wanted it made in the first place. Fansites are giving it four out of five stars and it was either two or three at the box office this past weekend.

We are talking about it here because of the early Ayn Rand influence on Neil.

I haven't seen it yet because a local talk show host was very influential in getting the word out and theaters around here were packed. I'll see it next weekend.

I'm planning for next weekend for the same reason.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Apr 18 2011, 07:37 PM)
I would tend not to trust a review of this movie more than most, given the ideology behind the story.

Yeah, but the reviews are saying that it's badly-made. I haven't seen it, or even read the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be like Battlefield Earth on a (much) smaller scale. You know, the kind of adaptation that makes people who haven't read the book wonder what was so great (or, in Battlefield Earth's case, tolerable) about the original and makes people who liked the book wish that it had never been made.

I'm so tired of the name Ayn Rand. Enough about her and her books. Overrated garbage.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 19 2011, 07:09 AM)
FML, how could i have missed this?! HURT BAD MUST SEE NOW

Because it hasn't been promoted.

I too agree with 1 star reviews. Billy Madison is one of my favorite movies of all time. It got 1 star. Generally for me: the star rating by 'critics' is inversely proportional to how much I will like a movie. Just like Rush's critics ratings.

Then again, Atlas Shrugged isn't on the same page as sophomoric comedies.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 18 2011, 06:38 PM)
Why is this in the Rush section unsure.gif

There is a thread for this already in the Video Vertigo section.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 19 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 19 2011, 07:09 AM)
FML, how could i have missed this?! HURT BAD MUST SEE NOW

Because it hasn't been promoted.

I too agree with 1 star reviews. Billy Madison is one of my favorite movies of all time. It got 1 star. Generally for me: the star rating by 'critics' is inversely proportional to how much I will like a movie. Just like Rush's critics ratings.

Then again, Atlas Shrugged isn't on the same page as sophomoric comedies.

Nope. You do need a brain, a requirement that disqualifies a number of critics right at the gate, to get anything from it.

Personal feelings about the novel itself aside, I think it would make a terrible movie. The way most of the dialogue is written I think would be impossible to make sound natural and convincing. That's ok for a book (though not ideal), but I think in film would be way too difficult.

I just checked Rottentomatoes for an idea of reviews of this. From what most are saying, like someone said above, they don't comment on the philosophy so much as the production. For example "However controversial, Rand's ideas deserve better than this watered-down, uninspired bilge."

Either way, I probably won't watch it.

I've only recently started to read Ayn Rand's books and listen to the few interviews that she had done. IMHO, she was absolutely brilliant and way ahead of her time. As I become more familiar with her writing I'm noticing more and more of Neil's lyrics that were very much influenced by her.

As far as Atlas Shrugged, while I agree with the points she was making she sure took the long way around to make them. The book is so long and the story moves so slowly and is pretty boring in a lot of places. I don't see how this could translate into an enjoyable movie. The movie is destined to fail simply because it was made with such a low budget with unknown actors and had a very limited release. Maybe it will find its audience on DVD. This may have been more successful as a TV miniseries like they did with several Steven King novels.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Apr 19 2011, 01:23 PM)
I've only recently started to read Ayn Rand's books and listen to the few interviews that she had done.  IMHO, she was absolutely brilliant and way ahead of her time.  As I become more familiar with her writing I'm noticing more and more of Neil's lyrics that were very much influenced by her.

As far as Atlas Shrugged, while I agree with the points she was making she sure took the long way around to make them.  The book is so long and the story moves so slowly and is pretty boring in a lot of places.  I don't see how this could translate into an enjoyable movie.  The movie is destined to fail simply because it was made with such a low budget with unknown actors and had a very limited release.  Maybe it will find its audience on DVD.  This may have been more successful as a TV miniseries like they did with several Steven King novels.

I also think - and I'm trying to be delicate about this - that it's going to be over an awful lot of heads. Rand's not an easy read - I only RECENTLY finally finished Atlas Shrugged because, in about 6 or 7 efforts, I kept getting bogged down in the middle. (I'd read all the way through the speech, and the last couple of chapters). It's not like going to see the movie adaptation of, as you mention, a Stephen King book.

I saw the movie over the weekend. Having read and liked the book, both my wife and I enjoyed the movie. Its actually pretty amazing, considering the small budget and short time frame it was filmed in.

We both felt, however, that if anyone has not read the book, they would likely have a very difficult time following the plot, and would certainly miss alot of the subtleties in the film. Without some familiarity with Objectivism and Rands philosophy (regardless of ones personal opinion of these), the film would probably be very boring and seemingly pointless.

It is definitely a film made for fans of the book, and in that respect, I think it succeeded very well.

QUOTE (toddnbeth @ Apr 19 2011, 10:30 PM)
I saw the movie over the weekend. Having read and liked the book, both my wife and I enjoyed the movie. Its actually pretty amazing, considering the small budget and short time frame it was filmed in.

We both felt, however, that if anyone has not read the book, they would likely have a very difficult time following the plot, and would certainly miss alot of the subtleties in the film. Without some familiarity with Objectivism and Rands philosophy (regardless of ones personal opinion of these), the film would probably be very boring and seemingly pointless.

It is definitely a film made for fans of the book, and in that respect, I think it succeeded very well.

I too saw it over the weekend, and will probably go again with some politically like-minded friends.

Sure, it didn't look anything like a $100 million Hollywood blockbuster, but it looked far better than I expected based on reviews. I'd go as far to say that there are plenty of other low budget movies that looked far worse than this and were still adored by critics. Mainstream movie critics are going to pan it, Hell, critics panned Rand's book when it came out. Despite that, it is one of the bestselling books of all time.

However, the movie was so well scripted from the book that some of the dialogue can seem wooden and unclear to those who are not familiar with the novel or Rand's philosophy. But in that regard, in a Randian way, the film doesn't try to cater to morons or those unwilling to go into it with an open mind.

If you are on the fence with this, catch a matinee and see it. The producers could use the support to make parts 2 and 3 (this film only covers Part 1 of the book).

Archived