Battle of the Album Sides: Volume 1

The Owl

What is the superior side on the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band?"  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is the superior side on the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band?"

• Side 1
    • Side 2

Welcome to the first of my weekly polls in which I will be taking 1 album and comparing it's different sides... and the poll you will choose what side is better? I am going to try to use albums that have vinyl releases (and by nature "sides") on these polls, but If I want to do an album that was never an album with a vinyl release I will try to separate the album as best I can into sides...

But here we go... Poll for week 1... What is the best side of The Beatles classic album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Side One

1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

2. "With a Little Help from My Friends"

3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

4. "Getting Better"

5. "Fixing a Hole"

6. "She's Leaving Home"

7. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"

Side Two

1. "Within You Without You"

2. "When I'm Sixty-Four"

3. "Lovely Rita"

4. "Good Morning Good Morning"

5. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"

6. "A Day in the Life"

This is hard..... very hard....

But I'm gonna go hard with Side 2... This whole album is classic, but Side 2 has "A Day in The Life" which is not only IMO the Best Beatles song of all time, but one of the All time Best songs of all time...

And I do like the SPLHCB (reprise) better than the first part actually...

If 'Within You Without You' was on Side 1, it would totally be the best side to any album ever made. Regardless, I am going for Side 1 here. Side 2 just...lacks something to me. Perhaps because it has only two really great songs and the rest are just OK.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Apr 17 2011, 09:15 PM)
If 'Within You Without You' was on Side 1, it would totally be the best side to any album ever made. Regardless, I am going for Side 1 here. Side 2 just...lacks something to me. Perhaps because it has only two really great songs and the rest are just OK.

I pretty much agree with this post. Even though side 2 has two of my all-time favorite Beatles songs, side 1 is more consistent.

Side 1.

Although side 2 contains 3 of my favourite tunes, Getting Better, Lovely Rita and A Day In The Life, it also contains George's risible cod-Indian wankfest, which totally disrupts the album's flow. And When I'm Sixty-Four is just infantile bollocks. And I'm normally in the Macca camp.

Side 1 is just about perfect.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 18 2011, 07:20 PM)
I remember reading somewhere that George Martin thought it was a mistake to leave off "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane". Imagine that album!

Yep. Leave out the first 2 tracks on side 2 and drop in those two. Perfect.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 18 2011, 08:49 AM)
...it also contains George's risible cod-Indian wankfest, which totally disrupts the album's flow.

You're joking, right? I honestly think it was a great addition to the album. George's Indian influenced music is some of his best work if you ask me. Disrupting the album's flow...perhaps, but it's slight to my ears.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Apr 18 2011, 04:30 PM)
...it also contains George's risible cod-Indian wankfest, which totally disrupts the album's flow.

You're joking, right? I honestly think it was a great addition to the album. George's Indian influenced music is some of his best work if you ask me. Disrupting the album's flow...perhaps, but it's slight to my ears.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 18 2011, 03:43 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I like it too...

And it's pretty much proto-metal

trink38.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2011, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 18 2011, 03:43 PM)

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I like it too...

And it's pretty much proto-metal

trink38.gif 1022.gif

No, it's a shite ham-fisted attempt at Indian music. There's a reason why none of the other Beatles play on it. It's shite. Too much dope methinks and not enough quality control.

can we all agree that the putting the vocal of Within You Without You on top of the track for Tomorrow Never Knows on the LOVE CD was brilliant?

if you haven't heard it, check it here

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2011, 05:33 PM)
can we all agree that the putting the vocal of Within You Without You on top of the track for Tomorrow Never Knows on the LOVE CD was brilliant?

if you haven't heard it, check it here Love/Within You Without You

That is an AMAZING CD. One of my favorites. The whole thing is done brilliantly.

Archived