Atlas Shrugged Coming To Film

apetersvt

I hadn't seen anything about this until today. Being made low budget apparently be a film company I've never heard of.

From what I've read:

-Movie is listed as part 1. Don't know how much of the novel it will cover

-Apparently it will be set in 2017 as opposed to the '50s.

-Angelina Jolie is starring as Dagney Taggart.

Probably not a coincidence that it is being released April 15th.

I love the book and am afraid that the movie will fall far short of my expectations.

Looking forward to seing how this pans out.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 14 2011, 12:04 PM)

-Angelina Jolie is starring as Dagney Taggart.

This is unfortunate, in the book Dagney was suppposedly beautiful.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 14 2011, 11:23 AM)
The trailers look very B movie. Dagny is played by Taylor Schilling, whoever she is.

I guess I was wrong about Angelina Jolie. When I checked to see what theaters it would be playing in, it had her listed. Don't have a clue who Taylor Schilling is, but my first instinct is that she would be better than Jolie.

Its already happened, I have tickets to see it... for better or for worse.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Apr 14 2011, 06:27 PM)
Its already happened, I have tickets to see it... for better or for worse.

Please give us a review,

I have not read the book, which coincidentally, when there is a book and a movie out, I never read the book before the movie. You are just guaranteeing you will probably hate the movie as movies are rarely as good as the books. I plan on reading it eventually, but I am going to wait until I see the 2nd and 3rd parts of the movie. Not that I waited to read it, I just got lucky!!!

All that being said, I didn't love part one, but I didn't hate it either. It was just ok. But of course there are so many unanswered questions it's hard to judge it yet.

Now all THAT being said, I did waste 32 minutes watching the special feature that had a video montage of people who sent in videos of themselves saying "I am John Galt". I had to mute it to get thru it but I wanted to see 2 things. One, would I happen to see someone I know? no.gif And two, how many people would be wearing RUSH shirts or hats or something with RUSH on it with the obvious connection between RUSH and Ayn Rand. Well I only saw one RUSH shirt. I was shocked. I figured there'd be at least 3 or 4. Yes, I have alot of time on my hands.

My question is now "Who is the man wearing the RUSH shirt who says, 'I am John Galt' "?!!!!

Finally watched this and was surprised to see how good it was. Only a short section that came across as preaching Ayn philosophy. It's interesting to read the comments here since Taylor schilling is now a pretty well known actor and was beautiful in the movie.

Never liked that book - I prefer Fountainhead. Rand's philosophy as it applies to the integrity of an artist or individual.

Both movies tanked -- only zealot Randroids went to see them.

Part 2 :facepalm:

Yeah, I just finished watching part 2. It really beats the philosophy over your head. It's also tough to watch since they literally re-cast every character in the movie from part 1. Samantha Mathis was ok but the guy who played rearden in the first movie really did a good job and I did not care for his replacement. I'll watch part 3 when it hits video just out of curiosity but that's it.

Never liked that book - I prefer Fountainhead. Rand's philosophy as it applies to the integrity of an artist or individual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOxKu80JpU

Decent movie.

That movie didn't really do the book justice.

It was a good attempt for what it was.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, the adaptation of "Atlas" overdoes it on the philosophy while the "Fountainhead" one doesn't have enough. Film adaptations are a delicate balance that require a careful and dedicated vision and execution, and Rand's work -- love it or hate it -- has always been a tough thing to reinterpret.

Decent movie.

I remember watching it as a kid and, although I enjoyed it, I was mystified as to why an architect was being such a pain in the ass with the people who hired him and wanted to have some input on what the building looked like. Seemed like a reasonable request to a kid.

• Like 2

Decent movie.

I remember watching it as a kid and, although I enjoyed it, I was mystified as to why an architect was being such a pain in the ass with the people who hired him and wanted to have some input on what the building looked like. Seemed like a reasonable request to a kid.

:LOL: Rand and reasonable don't always go together. Individuality, ad absurdum.