Tales From Topographic Oceans

Silas Lang

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2011, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 5 2011, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2011, 10:32 PM)
This is where the reviewer loses all credibility and just proves himself to be another a-hole with an opinion.

"All told, Tales is as useless a piece of entertainment as was Passion Play, but twice as bad because it's twice as long."

Yeah you are correct. Passion Play is as bad as TFTO, and is also way too long.

pokey.gif

Haha! No need to be pissed about that comment. "Passion Play" is a great record.

"The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles!"

I think The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles ruins what would have otherwise been a fine album.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Put your newly acquired ear plugs in during that section Goobs...

tongue.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

It's probably the hardest Yes album to listen to and digest... it's still not fully explored by me. Maturity may have something to do with it- I bought Drama right after buying 90125 in high school and didn't get it. It's not like I didn't have an inquisitive mind back then, I just don't know what the missed connection was.

I soon got rid of Drama and ignored Yes until last year. Then I went out and bought about half a dozen of their records. Still busy listening to them (when my wife's not around... laugh.gif )

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 5 2011, 11:26 PM)
Gary prefers "Acquiring The Taste" by Gentle Giant!

I thought he didn't like them...

The thing about Goober that's surprising is he only appears to have a passing interest in the prog giants, but he likes the obscure stuff that he feels he can personally own that the masses will never sully with their crass and touch = prog snob!!

laugh.gif

Weirder still he consumes avidly what the masses love in television and film...

There's something significant about this contradiction that probably explains the whole enigma that is Rushgoober...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 09:43 PM)

The thing about Goober that's surprising is he only appears to have a passing interest in the prog giants, but he likes the obscure stuff that he feels he can personally own that the masses will never sully with their crass and touch = prog snob!!

laugh.gif

There's something significant about this contradiction that probably explains the whole enigma that is Rushgoober...

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

Alas, I truly love Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP and all the prog giants, as well as Roxy Music, Camel, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graff Generator, PFM, Banco, Le Orme and all the other goodies out there. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2011, 12:12 AM)

laugh.gif

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

Alas, I truly love Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP and all the prog giants, as well as Roxy Music, Camel, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graff Generator, PFM, Banco, Le Orme and all the other goodies out there. smile.gif

You said you couldn't get into Gentle Giant in another thread and you keep going back to them but it ain't happening...so what gives, oh enigma-ish one...

And the way you talk about Yes it sounds like you like a bit of this and a bit of that etc not what I expected from the (very) old prog wizard...

wink.gif

I can't imagine sitting through one of those songs now, let alone all four. It took a long time, but it finally makes sense ot me what Wakeman said about too much "experimenting" going on in the studio, rather than in rehearsals, and too much padding over all. There are some really strong themes, and really powerful and beautiful passages, but they are held together by the musical equivalent of shoe-string and spit.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 6 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 5 2011, 11:39 PM)
What's wrong with Acquiring the Taste? unsure.gif I love that album..

It's a flucking good album!

1022.gif cool.gif

It's definitely an acquired taste

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 10:20 PM)

laugh.gif

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

You said you couldn't get into Gentle Giant in another thread and you keep going back to them but it ain't happening...so what gives, oh enigma-ish one...

And the way you talk about Yes it sounds like you like a bit of this and a bit of that etc not what I expected from the (very) old prog wizard...

wink.gif

I might have said, which I still maintain, that Gentle Giant (like Van Der Graff Generator) is one of the more difficult groups to get into, and that I'm still getting into them after all this time, but I do think they are a great group. It's just that they take some work.

Yes is one of my all time faves. They pretty much didn't make one bad note in the entire 1970's. In fact, on my list of perfect albums, I have SEVEN Yes albums listed, more than any other group (including Rush with six)!

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 6 2011, 04:54 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 6 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 5 2011, 11:39 PM)
What's wrong with Acquiring the Taste? unsure.gif I love that album..

It's a flucking good album!

1022.gif cool.gif

It's definitely an acquired taste

You're SCARED!! That's all it is, scared to open yourself up to the music and that's why you'll never really get it, because you don't want to open up...

Open up your emotions Tony, open them up before it's too late!! fists crying.gif You don't want to be running scared all your life do you???? ohmy.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 5 2011, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2011, 10:32 PM)
This is where the reviewer loses all credibility and just proves himself to be another a-hole with an opinion.

"All told, Tales is as useless a piece of entertainment as was Passion Play, but twice as bad because it's twice as long."

Yeah you are correct. Passion Play is as bad as TFTO, and is also way too long.

I hated both APP and TFTO for many years. It was only after careful consideration of both that I learned to appreciate them. I still find parts of TFTO tedious, however there are some really brilliant passages that give me chills when I listen to them.

As far as APP goes; I think it's Ian's greatest work. It may not be my favorite Tull album but it's way up there. I never get tired of listening to it.

I arrived at TFTO around 15 or 16 years old, and loved it instantly

at that point I had been a Rush fan for 2 or 3 years, and I was most fascinated with Rush's longer songs

at the time I was also beginning my long love affair with drawing and graphic design

TFTO hit me with the one-two punch of four side-long songs (every one of them longer than Hemispheres!) and Roger Dean's expansive and fantastic gatefold artwork

I was hooked - 1,000%

all these years later, I readily admit that TFTO contains some less than inspired moments, but because of 'when' I encountered this album, I'll never be objective about it

I certainly owe no small part of my love of the ambient genre (Robert Rich, Brian Eno, etc) to TFTO's indulgences - it 'taught' me to appreciate languishing within chords/phrases rather than the incessant 'what's next!what's next!' ADD of typical pop/rock

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2011, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 10:20 PM)

laugh.gif

wink.gif

eyesre4.gif

wink.gif

I might have said, which I still maintain, that Gentle Giant (like Van Der Graff Generator) is one of the more difficult groups to get into, and that I'm still getting into them after all this time, but I do think they are a great group. It's just that they take some work.

Yes is one of my all time faves. They pretty much didn't make one bad note in the entire 1970's. In fact, on my list of perfect albums, I have SEVEN Yes albums listed, more than any other group (including Rush with six)!

That's not good enough Goobs, you're faltering, unsure of yourself, you're having a crisis of prog faith! ohmy.gif Your prog lord crown is slipping. I think we need a new Prog Poet Laureate!!

It's time for The OWL to take your place, a TRUE prog genius and not an old has-been like yourself!!

Renounce your prog status immediately or have it removed by force!! 1287.gif

I declare THE OWL as the new Prog Poet Laureate!!

Long Live the New King, off with the old man Goober's head! 1287.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 8 2011, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 7 2011, 05:44 PM)
I have yet to hear it but I'ma listen to it soon & see for myself what all the fuss is about.

ohmy.gif

You've never heard TFTO? ohmy.gif

Did I mention ohmy.gif ? confused13.gif

Say what? How can you NOT hear about TFTO?

Actually, I first listened to the album about a month or so ago, I absolutely love the first two songs, and I'm still getting used to the back half. There is definitely some magic within that album!