30th Anniversary Moving Pictures tomorrow!!!

ak2112

I am psyched about this release. I have always dreamed of Rush putting out their albums in DVD-Audio format and now that time is hear with one of their greatest albums. I already have 5 other versions of MO but you can believe that I'll be the first person in line at Best Buy tomorrow! I hope this release sells very well and that they decide to release all of their Mercury releases in high-rez format.

I will have trouble sleeping tonight my friends!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could care less about the videos but will somebody explain the audio part to me. Here's a description from Amazon:stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio. So does this have to be played on your blu ray player to get that resolution? Not understanding how it could be that much better than CD audio?

just picked up the CD/DVD combo ($17 on sale - I'm lucky and glad to live near really good independent record stores)

I"m sure I'll be getting around to giving it a solid review very soon

I'll keep you posted wink.gif

Picked up the BD/CD combo at Best Buy for 20 bucks.

Let me tell you on my 5.1 DTS HDMI system playing the BD through my PS3.

Holy f***ing mary mother of joseph. Just stunning....pure Rush bliss.

If you have good audio equipment and a 5.1 DTS set up....your going to be blown away.

he remasterd CD also sounds really really good in my high end bose car stereo as well as through my home system.

But wow....the BD 5.1 is breathtaking.

I will not spoil some of the more amazing audio moments...but Red Barchetta....let's just say your going to flip out. The whole thing is very well done.

Big time kudos to Rich and Alex for putting this together.

Listening to the BD in the 5.1 you truly feel what it is like to hear this album in the console room.

Seriously...it is that amazing.

Now with the way this came out I truly hope we can get Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and Signals the same treatment.

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 5 2011, 07:09 PM)
Listening to the BD in the 5.1 you truly feel what it is like to hear this album in the console room.

Seriously...it is that amazing.

Now with the way this came out I truly hope we can get Permanent Waves, Hemispheres and Signals the same treatment.

I'd say GUP and Power Windows.

Put it on, but listened to a couple minutes of the original CD first, then switched over. WOW! Have switched back and forth over a few songs and it truly is amazing.

My 14 year old daughter just came down from her bedroom and said, "Really Dad, I'm trying to study for my Spanish test, do you have to listen to your music that loud?" Guess Dad has to wait till the family is away to really blast it.

What a great purchase today!

2.gif

quick note of interest:

Vital Signs (the video) vs. Vital Signs (the song)

^ it's been so long since I've seen the video, maybe this has always been the case... but Geddy's vocal take on the vid is a different take

it's even produced differently (that early slap-back delay from the version on MP is gone) - and IMO I like it a whole lot better

the differences are mostly subtle, but Geddy sings "...courageous convictions" quite differently

also, during the outro, Geddy does not sing "...escalate from the norm" as he does on MP

finally, there are added sound effects during the "...pause/rewind/replay" lyrics (quite literally, the sound of cassette tapes being rewound)

small stuff I know, but the differences make it a legitimately different version

I listened to the cd in the car today, and couldn't really tell the difference between it, and my regular cd of moving pix.

What I was most dissappointed by was the opening to Tom Sawyer... long story short....

Many years ago, I bought a copy of moving pix and notice that the opening cymbal crash that kicks off Tom Sawyer was off just a touch.. almost as though they missed the beginning of the cymbal.

I noticed today, on my new re-mixed version, that it's the same problem... they missed the opening by just a fraction.

Has anyone else noticed this??

QUOTE (Phantom @ Apr 5 2011, 08:10 PM)
I listened to the cd in the car today, and couldn't really tell the difference between it, and my regular cd of moving pix.

What I was most dissappointed by was the opening to Tom Sawyer... long story short....

Many years ago, I bought a copy of moving pix and notice that the opening cymbal crash that kicks off Tom Sawyer was off just a touch.. almost as though they missed the beginning of the cymbal.

I noticed today, on my new re-mixed version, that it's the same problem... they missed the opening by just a fraction.

Has anyone else noticed this??

What is ya smoking?

And the song is played on an off-beat time signature dude.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Apr 5 2011, 05:45 PM)
Ok, so I go into my local Best Buy to pick this up today, and get this. THEY HAVE NO RUSH CDS!!!! No Rush section at all!

Wouldn't it have been with the DVD's/Blu-Ray instead of with the CD's?

I listened to both CD and BluRay today and both are stunning. The packaging is excellent and I really hope they do the whole catalog this way. I haven't seen the videos yet, but if Vital Signs is an alternate version I can't wait, but I don't want to wake my wife or the neighbors. Play it loud. No distortion yet and I blasted that puppy. biggrin.gif

Archived