Jeff Buckley - what's all the fuss?

GeddyRulz

Grace is sublime, a great album, and one of the best debut albums ever released. It's a confident, passionate, theatrical, expansive piece of work. And his voice was sublime. His covers of Hallelujah, Corpus Christi Carol & Lilac Wine are sensational.

Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk offered us a glimpse of what might have been.

Think I might go and dig out Grace and give it a spin. It's been a while.

I'm not a big Jeff Buckley fan. I listen to Grace from time to time and I like it, it's a good album, but that's it. I'm still waiting for my Jeff Buckley epiphany! But, his influence on what came after him is IMMENSE. Heck, I hear Thom Yorke channeling Jeff Buckley in practically every Radiohead song...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 29 2011, 11:52 AM)
I'm not a big Jeff Buckley fan. I listen to Grace from time to time and I like it, it's a good album, but that's it. I'm still waiting for my Jeff Buckley epiphany! But, his influence on what came after him is IMMENSE. Heck, I hear Thom Yorke channeling Jeff Buckley in practically every Radiohead song...

goodpost.gif

I love Jeff Buckley, its not the songs but the singing for me. Absolutely heartfelt and beautiful.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 29 2011, 02:52 PM)
But, his influence on what came after him is IMMENSE. Heck, I hear Thom Yorke channeling Jeff Buckley in practically every Radiohead song...

This could be part of my problem. His "influence" means nothing to me, as I don't listen to anything after him. Music, post-1995? Nope!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2011, 04:05 PM)
But, his influence on what came after him is IMMENSE. Heck, I hear Thom Yorke channeling Jeff Buckley in practically every Radiohead song...

This could be part of my problem. His "influence" means nothing to me, as I don't listen to anything after him. Music, post-1995? Nope!

Too bad, there's a lot of good music out there! Anyway, I think a lot of Jeff Buckley fans are into him because of the way he sings and not necessarily the songs.

That's what "all the fuss" is. I have no idea how anyone can not be touched by his performance of that song. The rest of Grace, while maybe not as powerful, still has all the same passion and emotion, not to mention Jeff Buckley's angelic voice and his stunning vocal range.

Grace is a great album. Jeff Buckley was an amazing singer and songwriter.

If your don't like him I can understand that. He is not that accessible.

The first three tracks of Grace should be your litmus. If you don't like those...you won't like Jeff Buckley. But that would be shame because Eternal Life and Dream Brother are insane tracks at he back end of the album.

Yeah, Jeff's music doesn't appeal to everyone. Even for me it was a slow-burn kind of thing. I liked Last Goodbye and his version of Hallelujah but it took time to warm to the rest of Grace.

Sometimes a good quality (sonically speaking) YouTube clip will do it for me; sometimes I need to buy the damn CD and take a drive with it.

I like to give Grace a listen to occasionally. Last Goodbye is a great tune and Eternal Life flat out rocks. I do think he is over rated though.

I enjoy his music. He reminds me a bit of Nick Drake. Both have unique styles that you have to appreciate just for taking the chance to not be another whiny boy band-type or cheese factory a la Buble.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 29 2011, 04:43 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoEYxt0PPA

That's what "all the fuss" is. I have no idea how anyone can not be touched by his performance of that song. The rest of Grace, while maybe not as powerful, still has all the same passion and emotion, not to mention Jeff Buckley's angelic voice and his stunning vocal range.

Oh wait a minute...I know that song that's from Watchmen when Nite Owl and Silk Scepter were DOIN' IT !!!!

Yeah Nite Owl !!!!

Lay dat pipe brother WHEW!!! WHEW!!!

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 29 2011, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 29 2011, 04:43 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoEYxt0PPA

That's what "all the fuss" is.  I have no idea how anyone can not be touched by his performance of that song.  The rest of Grace, while maybe not as powerful, still has all the same passion and emotion, not to mention Jeff Buckley's angelic voice and his stunning vocal range.

Oh wait a minute...I know that song that's from Watchmen when Nite Owl and Silk Scepter were DOIN' IT !!!!

Yeah Nite Owl !!!!

Lay dat pipe brother WHEW!!! WHEW!!!

heh you stay classy Invis tongue.gif

Jeff was great and his father (Tim) was even better.

I agree they are both an acquired taste. But although you may not like their music it is difficult to deny their talent, both in terms of the emotion they put into their songs, and of course the incredible vocal range and control they both had.

Some singers are just really talented at putting their own stamp on material and Jeff could do that too. Cover versions are often best left alone but whether he was covering Nina Simone, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen he always brought something extra to it.

I saw Jeff live and once stood next to him at a backstage bar in London - a really unassuming, gentle guy. Big Rush fan too according to those who knew him.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Mar 31 2011, 07:37 AM)
Big Rush fan too according to those who knew him.

Yeah, his Wikipedia entry says he was always a big Zeppelin fan, but then got into Rush, Yes, and Genesis in high school.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 29 2011, 03:05 PM)

Wasn't Spocks Beard "V" recorded post 1995?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 31 2011, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Mar 31 2011, 07:37 AM)
Big Rush fan too according to those who knew him.

Yeah, his Wikipedia entry says he was always a big Zeppelin fan, but then got into Rush, Yes, and Genesis in high school.

he covered 'Back In NYC' from Genesis' 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' (on the 'Sketches' album) th1245.gif

Archived