Geddy's bassesest moments

Good,bad,andrush

There are so many spectacular Geddy moments. The first that come to mind are:

The section where everyone goes nuts in Freewill.

All over in La Villa, YYZ, and Mal Nar.

All of Digital Man.

Oooh lots of great picks here.. My favorite live bass moment during Time Machine Tour has to be Leave That Thing Alone, especially the ending. Without the intro into Neil's drum solo, Ged's been getting some great bass time in (kinda why I decided to go out and find a bass last year around christmas).

Vital Signs, that juicy chorus bass Ged gets is awesome to hear every time.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Mar 29 2011, 06:35 PM)
Vapor Trails
Peaceable Kingdom
La Villa Strangiato
Hemispheres
Cygnus X-1 (LOVE the opening)

^ THIS THIS THIS! 1022.gif Though I need to add Power Windows (Marathon, Manhattan Project, Emotion Detector, Big Money) as a worthy star of Geddys skill as well! 2.gif

I would add the entire Hold Your Fire album, every track is a bass players delight, Natural Science, and agree that Circumstances has a great bass part which is Geddy playing in his early trademark style, a style which he unfortunately left behind in the nineties to pursue this one-dimensional single finger back and fourth thing which now sadly dominates every performance of old material and new!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 29 2011, 10:24 AM)
Oh heavens. So many. As others have said, too many to list! At the moment, I'm slightly obsessed with the isolated bass audio track from The Camera Eye. I'm particularly fascinated by the bits punctuating the line "So light yet endless from a leaden sky" at 2:05 on this YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ieVlpixUEs That's some pretty darned bassy bass right there! laugh.gif

Ive always loved the bass in that song, especially during the guitar solo near the end.

Even though we've heard them a bazillion times the bass for both Closer to the Heart and The Trees is amazing.

Also Big Money, Turn the Page, Territories, Open Secrets, Where's my Thing?, Digital Man, Analog Kid, Hemispheres, the solos for LVS and Show Don't Tell..

My favorite YYZ part is the 2nd bass solo, so fast and badass.

Um..... all of the above?

Driven, Limelight, Working Man, Xanadu, YYZ, Leave That Thing Alone, Mal Nar, Far Cry, Animate

Gosh..... No point, I'm just going to name them all!

Heck, even Scars has an awesome bassline, and that's not even a real bass!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 30 2011, 12:25 PM)
I would add the entire Hold Your Fire album, every track is a bass players delight, Natural Science, and agree that Circumstances has a great bass part which is Geddy playing in his early trademark style, a style which he unfortunately left behind in the nineties to pursue this one-dimensional single finger back and fourth thing which now sadly dominates every performance of old material and new!

unfortunatly I have to agree....I havn't really liked his change of style starting with Counterparts. Too many notes played too fast on almost every song.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Mar 29 2011, 12:21 AM)
Turn the Page on A Show of Hands. Anyone with any experience playing guitar or bass can appreciate the fact that Geddy is playing this amazingly complicated riff on the bass during the verses and singing a melody that is a complete counter rhythm to what he's playing on the bass. He never misses a note - vocally or on his bass. Trust me this is very, very hard to do.

goodpost.gif

This was the first that came to mind for me. GeddyFinal.gif

Digital Man, Vital Signs, La Villa Strangiato, the solo section from Freewill, the pre-chorus sections in Subdivisions, the end of Red Barchetta, The Big Money, Lock & Key, Marathon, The Trees, and dozens of others never fail to send chills down my spine.

His most beautiful piece of work, imho, is Vital Signs. The bass playing in that song is just gorgeous, I can hardly describe how alive that bass playing makes me feel and I've never played a bass guitar in my life. The way he sings that tune has a big effect on me too. He kind of elongates the vowels and it really adds a nice round end the words he's singing. The ending of Red Barchetta and the final verse of Earthshine are the same way. I'm not ashamed to admit the intensity of the vocals and the music in those three songs kind of chokes me up on occassion. The lyrics are a big part of that. So inspiring, I can hardly take it.

GeddyFinal.gif His bass playing on Hold Your Fire is out of this world, listen again and again and be amazed th1245.gif I cannot get better than this... banghead.gif

5:16-5:19

I f***ing cry when I listen to that.

Like the entire song he's not doing much with bass, it just sounds really nice...but here, it just comes out of nowhere and captures the essence left after the solo so perfectly.

QUOTE (Priest2112 @ Mar 31 2011, 08:27 PM)
I always considered Middletown Dreams to be an absolute masterclass in playing the bass.

Almost makes me want to pick one up and learn................ biggrin.gif

Damn you beat me to it. The first time I listened to it intently, I wished I had learned to play the bass and not the drums. Such a smooth, smooth riff.

There needs to be subcategories of "bassiness."

While it's not the most technically challenging, when I think "bassiness" I think Animate. The balls on that sound is something else. It just dominates.

Archived