Emotion Detector

micgtr71

Ok, so I noticed that during the Power Windows thread that I started a number of people said that they did not care for Emotion Detector and some said that it was the worst song on the album. I would like to say that I think that this song is amazing. Sure there are some dated keyboard fills-but look at the big picture. The lyrics are fine, the chorus is strong, and the bass line is amazing. There is a lot of power in this song. When the solo begins (which is a fantastic sounding solo), Geddy's bass work underneath is incredible. I was wondering if the complex arrangement was the reason that this one never got played, even on that tour. Maybe, maybe not. Still, I have listened to this a lot in the last few days and I need to give it the love that I believe it deserves.

Though I'm no big fan of the song (I even said it so myself), I think the solo really is the only reason I'll listen to the song. Even then, it's not the strongest point on the album but it certainly isn't the lowest either.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Mar 18 2011, 07:06 PM)
Filler.

Not the worst on PoW though, that's Mystic Rhythms.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1237977238_pineapple-express-laughing.gif

You're joking, right? I find it hard to believe that MR can be the worst on PoW. That title obviously goes to 'Middletown Dreams'.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 18 2011, 07:09 PM)
Filler.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1237977238_pineapple-express-laughing.gif

You're joking, right? I find it hard to believe that MR can be the worst on PoW. That title obviously goes to 'Middletown Dreams'.

Yep. Mystic Rhythms flat out kicks ass! 1022.gif

Middletown Dreamer and ED are both nothing but filler.

Emotion Detector is one of my favorites from the record, which may be because of the special attention I gave it in 8th grade while attempting to learn part of the song on keyboard. The bridge is one of the most frenzied yet calm moments in a Rush song I've heard.

And IMO, there is no such thing as "filler" on Power Windows.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 18 2011, 07:26 PM)
Emotion Detector is one of my favorites from the record, which may be because of the special attention I gave it in 8th grade while attempting to learn part of the song on keyboard. The bridge is one of the most frenzied yet calm moments in a Rush song I've heard.

And IMO, there is no such thing as "filler" on Power Windows.

goodpost.gif Yup.

On a couple albums I could pick out "fillers" but even the songs I don't care for on PoW (Middletown Dreams and Grand Designs) I couldn't call "fillers".

It's a synth-heavy album, yes, and there are a lot of them on Emotion Detector, but just a filler? Not in my opinion!

I think the b-side is not gold, but platinum.

I don't like the a-side as much, but that's still gold.

Then again, almost all rush is gold, and the few worst rush songs to me are silver. (even dog years and tai Shan)

That's me of course.

Until recently, this song never really stood out for me. But lately, I'm listening to it a lot. I love the keyboards (yeah, they are a bit dated but very nice). The lyrics are great, especially the chorus. And Als' guitar is understated and beautiful, an example (IMO) of his ability to lay back and serve the song rather than his ego (which he doesn't appear to have much of anyway). NOT just filler! no.gif

Alex said in Guitar Player magazine back in 1986 that he was not sold on this song for a while. It took him awhile to get into it. Neil mentioned in the Power Windows program that it had started out as a slow song but then they tried it at a faster tempo and voila!

Power Windows is my favourite album, as a whole, there isn't a duff track on there and whilst Rush are in one of their 'softer' moods (not as soft as Hold your Fire though) the songs are well produced, melodic and thoughtful. I fully understand though anyone who found Rush early and thought 'WTF?! Where has all of the ROCK gone' or fans who came to Rush late and thought the same thing.

For me it marked the end of their great romance with the synthesizer and the next two albums showed it!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 19 2011, 11:11 AM)
Alex said in Guitar Player magazine back in 1986 that he was not sold on this song for a while. It took him awhile to get into it. Neil mentioned in the Power Windows program that it had started out as a slow song but then they tried it at a faster tempo and voila!

...And so we got perfection. smile.gif The demo version of this song is also great.

Filler.

Could not disagree with you more. Mystic Rhythms is one of my favorite songs from this album. I do not find there to be any filler on this record. Though, I do respect your opinion.

Filler.

Disagree with you on ET, completely agree on Mystic Rhythms. Never got that song at all, it goes nowhere.

I remember that Guitar Player magazine. I'm thinking it's the one with Geddy on the front cover? He had a separate interview in the same mag.

Alex wasn't sold on the guitar parts as mentioned and said he didn't think they'd play it live, which may explain why that is the one song NOT played from Power Windows on that tour.

You can't have filler on an album with only 8 songs. It's far too short for that. The main reason some will consider it to be the worst song on the album isn't a slight on the song at all. It has to do with how strong the rest of the album is.

I love the song but if I were to rank the songs on the album it would be sixth, only above TBM and MD. That speaks to how strong the album is for me. It's not about disliking the song at all.

It's only my second favorite Rush song on my favorite album! I do connect it emotionally with things that have happened in my life the last few years (it describes them perfectly), but even if I didn't, I'm sure this song would be way up there for me. Love the buildup, guitar solo, Geddy going crazy on the bass AND vocals, the power of the drums, and the Alphaville-y keyboards! yes.gif

I think it's the best song on PoW. The solo is amongst my top 5 Rush solos ever ... Guitar, Drums and Bass all going nuts simultaneously, then the keys come back as the solo shifts direction - there's more in that solo than most bands can muster in a career.

This may sound like I've a contrarian disposition, but my 2nd favourite PoW track is Grand Designs.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 18 2011, 05:42 PM)
There is a lot of power in this song. When the solo begins (which is a fantastic sounding solo), Geddy's bass work underneath is incredible.

That's exactly where this song shines. The patented RUSH 'jam' where all hell breaks loose in a perfectly controlled manner. Has me drumming on the steering wheel or coffee table every time.

Love the introspective lyrics too.

Haters go away. atickhum.gif

I'll give you a hamburger right now if you leave. burger2.gif

Its got LT on it!

Archived