Underrated Bands

Mr. Not

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Mar 9 2011, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 9 2011, 01:32 AM)
My two favorite bands in the world are underrated:

RUSH and Y&T!

tongue.gif

I saw Y&T open up for Rush way back in the 80's!

Yeah, they aren't highly rated, nor do you ever hear them on the radio....

I remember them in their day, and all I recall is Meanstreak being their big record, and that sugary Summertime Girls video. Not much but fluff metal to me so I dont really know what to rate there at all. But thats me

UFO

Budgie

Emerson Lake and Powel

Triumph

Badfinger

Mountain

Thin lizzy

Mountain

MSG

Typers of pan tang

Early Def leppard

Gentle Giant

I'll throw another dozen or so up later I'm sure..

Triumph is very underrated.

Just listen to ordinary man and blinding light show.

Also, somebody mentioned porcupine tree was overrated in the other thread.

I think they are underrated, but that may just be because i do not know a single soul who knows them besides my band members.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 9 2011, 06:29 PM)
Triumph is very underrated.

Just listen to ordinary man and blinding light show.

I think they are underrated, but that may just be because i do not know a single soul who knows them besides my band members.

Outside prog circles, PT is virtually unknown. It's a shame.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 9 2011, 01:17 AM)
On the greener side of the grass, we have the underrated bands which are always fun to look through.. Please don't list any bands with good followings - even if you think they deserve more (Rush would be a bad example of an underrated band).. Let's keep this thread to bands that are underrated in the sense that they really deserve better followings & better recognition.

The three I pick are:

Astra:
Of course! Best Progressive band of the 21st century yet.

Love:
Forever Changes was well received but most treat it as if it's Love's only album.

King's X:
I've heard of these guys before, but finally just gave them a try today after Fridge listed them as his favorite band in another thread.. Wow, they're great. It was wrong of me to associate them with Symphony X tongue.gif

I will agree on Astra and King's X so I will search out Love.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 9 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 9 2011, 06:29 PM)

Outside prog circles, PT may be underrated. However, within the prog circle, PT is highly overrated. People treat Steve Wilson like a God. I just don't see it.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Mar 9 2011, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 9 2011, 01:17 AM)
On the greener side of the grass, we have the underrated bands which are always fun to look through.. Please don't list any bands with good followings - even if you think they deserve more (Rush would be a bad example of an underrated band).. Let's keep this thread to bands that are underrated in the sense that they really deserve better followings & better recognition.

The three I pick are:

Astra:
Of course! Best Progressive band of the 21st century yet.

Love:
Forever Changes was well received but most treat it as if it's Love's only album.

King's X:
I've heard of these guys before, but finally just gave them a try today after Fridge listed them as his favorite band in another thread.. Wow, they're great. It was wrong of me to associate them with Symphony X tongue.gif

I will agree on Astra and King's X so I will search out Love.

Very different from the two, if you haven't heard any "Love" before then you're in from something a bit new and might need to adapt to it.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 9 2011, 08:26 PM)

Outside prog circles, PT may be underrated. However, within the prog circle, PT is highly overrated. People treat Steve Wilson like a God. I just don't see it.

Maybe Steven Wilson is overrated. But, I disagree with you on Porcupine Tree the band. They've earned the accolades and respect. They are a highly talented group of musicians.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 9 2011, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 9 2011, 08:26 PM)

Maybe Steven Wilson is overrated. But, I disagree with you on Porcupine Tree the band. They've earned the accolades and respect. They are a highly talented group of musicians.

Tool and Porcupine Tree I feel are somewhat misunderstood.

A lot of fans worship Maynard and Steven. This is not what Steven and Maynard want, and for that reason Tool and PT appear overrated to some people. But if you can put aside the hardcore fanboys/girls, Steven and Maynard are geniuses of today. Geniuses, not Gods. Same with Neil.

Archived