Rolling Stone Top 10

clem

Somebody posted that on FB and I replied that that list is a joke! Dave Grohl? C'mon. The dude is energetic and solid but he's not even in the top 100. Ringo and Ginger Baker? Did 70's burnouts vote on this? That's a readers poll for you. People that know nothing about drumming. Surprised Meg White didn't make it LOL.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Feb 10 2011, 05:52 PM)
Rolling Stone is a joke. Ringo Starr in the top 10! rofl3.gif Nothing more than a guy who fell in a tub of shit and came out smelling like a cinnamon roll.

I think, as far as rock drumming goes, yes, Ringo Starr belongs in the top ten. As for Rolling Stone magazine, yes, it's a joke.

Okay, not to hate on Keith Moon (who I think is really quite good) and certainly not Neil himself, but why is Buddy Rich so low on the list? I was (first) shocked to see him on there, but then to see him at number six?! I used to have this documentary-thing on him and I would watch it constantly, even though I'd never picked up a drumstick in my life. He's arguably one of the greatest drummers ever - maybe the best.

But since when has Rolling Stones ever gotten anything right..?

These are the same people who put J. Beaverface in the same article as Geddy Lee.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 10 2011, 05:49 PM)
Buddy Rich is on the list because he is probably the only jazz drummer the readers of Rolling Stone magazine can name.

It would be really sad if that were true.

...You were kidding, right? D:

Where do these people think rock and roll came from? Divine inspiration? tongue.gif

I laughed after I passed the top 3. Ringo? Really? It reminds me of a line John Lennon once used:

When asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world:

"He isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles"

Top 3 are OK if you're talking rock drummers. Although I hate Keith Moons style. Talk about over-playing and not playing for the song. But the poll didn't say rock drummers. There are a lot of guys most of you probably haven't heard of that are miles ahead of any of those rock guys if you're talking strictly technique. Even Neil has been quoted as saying " there are at least 50 guys better than me". Anyhoo...for me it does boil down to style. Neil has a ton of chops but it's his style and creativity that makes him the best rock drummer. No offense to Bohnam but I feel Neil is much more creative.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 10 2011, 07:52 PM)
I laughed after I passed the top 3. Ringo? Really? It reminds me of a line John Lennon once used:

John Lennon also said this - "Ringo's a damn good drummer. He was always a good drummer. He's not technically good, but I think Ringo's drumming is underrated the same way Paul's bass playing is underrated. Paul and Ringo stand up anywhere with any of the rock musician."

Ringo Starr is a good drummer. Is he as good as John Bonham or Keith Moon or Neil Peart? No. And no one I know says that or thinks that. But he is as original a rock drummer as there is and he's incredibly influential and respected. I seriously doubt all you Ringo bashers really listen to what he is doing. tongue.gif

I know. Paul McCartney is actually way better than Ringo. Paul's playing on the Wings stuff is actually pretty interesting.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 10 2011, 08:00 PM)

John Lennon also said this - "Ringo's a damn good drummer. He was always a good drummer. He's not technically good, but I think Ringo's drumming is underrated the same way Paul's bass playing is underrated. Paul and Ringo stand up anywhere with any of the rock musician."

Ringo Starr is a good drummer. Is he as good as John Bonham or Keith Moon or Neil Peart? No. And no one I know says that or thinks that. But he is as original a rock drummer as there is and he's incredibly influential and respected. I seriously doubt all you Ringo bashers really listen to what he is doing. tongue.gif

Not to get too far off topic but I love The Beatles, and I do respect Ringo for being one of the drummers that shaped rock and roll but I merely used the quote to amplify my point that he isn't the best in the world.

He a great drummer and he has earned his rightful place in history along with The Beatles.

As far as rock drumming goes, if you include influence, inspiration, attitude and respect, as well as technical ability, I think Ringo Starr belongs in the top ten. How many great rock drummers are drummers because of Ringo Starr? That has to account for a top ten appearance on any legitimate rock drumming list? Doesn't it?

Okay, I'm done sticking up for Ringo!

As far as rock drumming goes, the top three on the list is spot on.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 10 2011, 07:58 PM)
Top 3 are OK if you're talking rock drummers. Although I hate Keith Moons style. Talk about over-playing and not playing for the song. But the poll didn't say rock drummers. There are a lot of guys most of you probably haven't heard of that are miles ahead of any of those rock guys if you're talking strictly technique. Even Neil has been quoted as saying " there are at least 50 guys better than me". Anyhoo...for me it does boil down to style. Neil has a ton of chops but it's his style and creativity that makes him the best rock drummer. No offense to Bohnam but I feel Neil is much more creative.

goodpost.gif

Gavin Harrison is all top 50 that are better than Neil Peart though tongue.gif

Nah, just messing. But Gavin is in my opinion, the best.

Rolling Stone is a joke. Ringo Starr in the top 10! rofl3.gif Nothing more than a guy who fell in a tub of shit and came out smelling like a cinnamon roll.

Why I dont think I'd put Ringo in the top 10, to say he wasnt a great drummer is just ignorant. I've been playing drums for 25 years and Ringo's stuff is deceptive. Yes, a lot of it was basic, but listen to his drumming on Revolver...awesome stuff. He deserves more respect the above quote.

That being said, did anyone watch the Buddy Rich drum solo video? Simply amazing. I would put him above above all of them, including Neil and I think Neil would probably agree. His hi-hat work and those single stroke rolls...mind blowing!

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Feb 10 2011, 09:11 PM)
Rolling Stone is a joke. Ringo Starr in the top 10! rofl3.gif  Nothing more than a guy who fell in a tub of shit and came out smelling like a cinnamon roll.

Why I dont think I'd put Ringo in the top 10, to say he wasnt a great drummer is just ignorant. I've been playing drums for 25 years and Ringo's stuff is deceptive. Yes, a lot of it was basic, but listen to his drumming on Revolver...awesome stuff. He deserves more respect the above quote.

That being said, did anyone watch the Buddy Rich drum solo video? Simply amazing. I would put him above above all of them, including Neil and I think Neil would probably agree. His hi-hat work and those single stroke rolls...mind blowing!

I thought that went without saying. Of coarse Buddy is the best if you're talking technique. He's not my fav for listening pleasure though. From Buddy's era I like Gene Krupa just a little better. To me he was more rhythmical. That's why when it comes to drumers it all boils down to personal taste. Heck....Scott Rockenfield from Queensryche is one of my favs and he has tons of chops but he's never on any top rock drummer polls. There are lots of under-rated drummers.

Archived