Taking Daughter to Rush Concert?

Test4Eco23

I have decided to take my daughter to her first concert. She will have just turned 8 yrs. old at the time of the show (April 12 in Chicago). I think it will work out fine, but I do have concerns. I have asked friends, and family and have had mixed reactions. Some have said they think it's fine, and some said it wouldn't be a good idea. Some opinions from you guys would be great. I am sure some of you have taken you own children to Rush shows.

Thanks...

JRS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jan 26 2011, 10:08 PM)
I will say one thing she does have a good father, I wish my dad would have taken me to a Rush concert when I was 8

Why thank you, I try to do what I can for her. I miss out on allot because I am on the road all the time, so I tend to spoil her when I do see her.

JRS

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Jan 26 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jan 26 2011, 10:08 PM)
I will say one thing she does have a good father, I wish my dad would have taken me to a Rush concert when I was 8

Why thank you, I try to do what I can for her. I miss out on allot because I am on the road all the time, so I tend to spoil her when I do see her.

JRS

Get her some earplugs biggrin.gif

Yeah make sure you use ear plugs for her and she won't get freaked out by the volume. Other than that have a blast.

Rush crowds for the most part are very tame indeed.

I took my 6 year old son last year and he loved every minute. We are going again on 3/30 and he will be going to see Kiss for the first time 3/17. Those are really the only 2 concerts i would take him to until he hits at least 9 or 10. I will let him hit concerts with his friends at age 13. Just like I did.

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Jan 26 2011, 10:02 PM)
I have decided to take my daughter to her first concert. She will have just turned 8 yrs. old at the time of the show (April 12 in Chicago). I think it will work out fine, but I do have concerns. I have asked friends, and family and have had mixed reactions. Some have said they think it's fine, and some said it wouldn't be a good idea. Some opinions from you guys would be great. I am sure some of you have taken you own children to Rush shows.

Thanks...
JRS

I took my son to his first Rush concert at 7 years old. I think it depends on the kid, honestly. He's 11 now, and I will be taking him to his 4th and 5th Rush shows this June/July. He loves music, and loves Rush especially.

It might be tough for her to see the stage, especially if folks around you are standing, and security is often picky about kids standing on seats.

Definitely bring ear plugs! My 8 year old freaked when they started playing. Luckily someone near us had spare plugs for him to use.

She'll probably have to go to the bathroom the worst times! Mine had to go right when the encore started. His bladder eventually exploded (just kidding - I'm not that cruel).

She may be more focused on the people in the crowd more than the show.

That all being said, she'll probably enjoy it for the most part. My then 8-year old is now 17 (yes, I'm old) and we still talk about that show.

Edited by GernTheFish

It really depends on what she's like. When I was that young, loud noises from races and concerts disoriented me, even with earplugs, so I had to avoid the "loud noise" events my dad went to until I started getting used to it.

And be prepared to smell some pot, there was hardly any at the ACC, but in Montreal it's everywhere. I guess it depends on the city.

- does she like Rush? If so, I would take her. If you're trying to "convert" her, though, I would give it more thought.

- earplugs are a must

- avoid a lot of liquids before and during the show. Obviously you want to have to take her to the restroom as minimally as possible. if you haven't looked at the set list, at least find out when the drum solo is. You definitely want to be in your seats for that.

- People at a Rush show are generally cool. There may be a whiff of grass every now and then, but it's not nearly as bad as it was back in 1981.

- I think my decision would also be based on the band, and the crowd. As stated above, Rush is pretty safe. For example, I've wanted to take my 10 year old to see the Foo Fighters (his favorite band), but there's NO WAY I would, simply because Dave Grohl feels compelled to say the word "F*ck" at least 12 times in every sentence (or so it seems). Not good for a kid - at least in my judgement.

Seriously, you don't want her bored if she's not a fan. YOU may think it's a cool experience, but she may be more of a Hanna Montana fan. Remember, also, that a Rush show is pretty lengthy. Kids have short attention spans. If I were in your shoes, I might enjoy the show less since I would feel somewhat responsible for my child's enjoyment. I DO see a fair amount of youngsters at a Rush show, so please don't think you're in the wrong as long as you've given it some good thought.

Clem

I would say take her only if she wants to go and likes the band. I would not take anyone (child or adult) to a concert if they're not into the band. As far as the pot goes I wouldn't worry about it. The second hand smoke is not going to hurt her. Unless of course you're surrounded by stoners and they all light up and create a fog around you. As far as the drinking and rowdiness, it's probably no worse than any baseball, basketball or football game.

Took my son, age 6.5, last year & he loved it. He was way into the band though and familiar with most of their music.

The scene (White River) was fine - tons of families. There were def. other kids his age - some even younger. I didn't notice any more drunkenness or obvious weed than you'd get at a live sporting event, but I wasn't on the lawn.

I made sure we were on an aisle so he'd have an unobstructed view & a chair to sit in if he got tired (he didn't). We'll hit the Gorge again this year.

If she wants to go, take her.

Earplugs are a must.

I saw Kiss when I was young with my brother (the fan) and my mother (wore earplugs, and found the show exciting overall) - the pot smoke, the drunk people - I really couldn't have cared less about all of that as a child at a concert.

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Jan 26 2011, 08:02 PM)

Thanks...
JRS

Hells YEAH! Do it! Ear protection if you must, but do it! I've been to shows where 4 and 5 year old boys and girls have attended and been rocking out with all us old folks! Direct exposure to the aroma of burning hemp is the only thing a young child might not otherwise experience but they probably see all the same asshole-ish behavior you'll witness at a rock show on TV news.

Take your daughter and rock on!

Watch this short vid clip. At the end Alex comes over and throws a wave...not at me but at the 4-year old boy sitting on his dad's shoulders who is rockin' just behind me!

Take her! Especially if she wants to go. It's been said but bears repeating: EAR PLUGS. I use them for indoor shows, kids should always use them.

My sister has taken her daughters twice (they were 7 & 9 first time around) to Rush shows w/o incident. Actually, most fans are considerate and polite around the youngins.

Enjoy!

Wow ... an 8-year old at Rush. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with it; I would only be worried about possible boredom. Rush is a long show ... and if the "can we go now?" questions start to arise, it could be a little trying. I have a 7 and an 8 year old ... and I would not even consider bringing them to Rush as -- I know -- they would not enjoy it. Luckily I also have a 16-year-old daughter who does not like Rush, so the babysitter choice for 7 & 8 year olds is built in. haha

I am taking my 6 yr old daughter front row center to the Austin show June 12th....bringing the ear plugs for sure, and will try that she sleeps most of the afternoon prior to the show.

The other day she got home after school, I asked her if she wanted to see Rush for the first time, she said yes and asked me back WHERE????....I told her "Austin".

She then gives me that serious look back, and asks me......"You mean Austin from Backyardigans??????????"

Its going to be interesting for sure!!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Joining the chorus to take her! yes.gif

Earplugs, of course. And Clem has some great pointers, there...

We took our daughter to her first concert at age 5. It was Weird Al Yankovic and she loved it! Since then we've taken her to see as many "classic rock" acts as we can: Clapton, McCartney, Genesis, Yes, Tull... she's always had a great time. She turns 20 in about 2 weeks and she will be with us at the Gorge show.

Have fun!! 2.gif

We took both our girls (ages 9 and 12) to their first Rush concert this past summer at Red Rocks. It was a great finale to a week-long Colorado vacation. I'd say yes IF you think she can stay up late enough without wilting to the point of wanting to leave early. Both my girls were totally engaged and on their feet the entire show in spite of the fact that I kept encouraging them to sit if they so desired. The youngster (age 6 or 7?) on the row in front of us was sound asleep for the entire second half and was literally laid out across the bench seating. We kept having to alert the people that were coming and going to be careful when they passed in front of us because they couldn't see the sleeping child on the bench.

Earplugs are a must! Smelling pot is to be expected. Not a big deal. I didn't point it out and the girls never asked any questions. Rush crowds are so tame compared to other groups.

Have a great time!

Thank you for all your input. It was pretty much what I expected. I think the length of the show is going to be the biggest concern along with the bathroom breaks. She always goes to the bathroom allot.

JRS

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jan 27 2011, 04:40 PM)
I would say take her only if she wants to go and likes the band.

Exactly. The show is probably not enjoyable, even for you, if she is bored and willing to leave already when the show has just started. If she likes Rush and is excited about the concert, everything's fine. Just remember the earplugs!

Have fun there cool.gif