Within Temptation, Nightwish, Evanescence

2112Oracle

Well, it was time for this. If there has been a thread for all these, or separate, please tell me.

Anyways, these are my three favorite symphonic metal bands. I'd have to say this is my list of those three:

1. Within Temptation

2. Evanescence

3. Nightwish.

The reason why WT is my top fave is because I've known them longer than the other two, and I'm always faithful to my firsts. And, they were my firsts, so, they have VIB(Very Important Band) status from me. Plus, Sharon Den Adel is very beautiful.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a348/SonAsylum/sharon-den-adel.jpg

wub.gif

Evanescence is my second because I learned of them shortly after WT. Their songs are very awesome, and "My Immortal" is a haunting song that I will never forget. Amy Lee's voice is just so angelic, it's not even funny. And, her eyes...it's like staring into the abyss and the abyss staring back at you.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gt_evanescence/Fan%20Covers/AmyLeeseyes.png

And, finally, Nightwish. I believe, personally, that Tarja was the best singer in that band. I think from where she left and the new singer, Anette, was a strange change for me. Don't get me wrong, I like Anette's alright, but Tarja will always be the frontwoman of Nightwish.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/nell9/tarja_turunen.jpg

Now, that I have started this craziness. I'd love to hear all of your opinions on these bands.

1022.gif

QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 07:13 PM)
Evanescence is my second because I learned of them shortly after WT. Their songs are very awesome, and "My Immortal" is a haunting song that I will never forget. Amy Lee's voice is just so angelic, it's not even funny. And, her eyes...it's like staring into the abyss and the abyss staring back at you.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gt_evanescence/Fan%20Covers/AmyLeeseyes.png

Oh, my Ged... ohmy.gif wub.gif

*Kahme faints*

As you already know, Amy is one of my many girl-crushes. Those eyes are incredible. I'm jealous. Not to mention her angelic voice. tongue.gif

I love Evanescence and own all three of their albums; I'll also own their newest album when it's released. When it comes to Nightwish and Within Temptation (hush, I know I said come laugh.gif), I'm not as huge a fan of them as I am of Evanescence, but I do like them. The frontwomen of all three bands are beautiful. heart.gif

I love me some Nightwish and Within Temptation. Sharon den Adel is a beautiful woman with an equally beautiful voice. Tarja from Nightwish is a nice looking woman with a unique voice. She's no longer with them now and the singer they got now, Anette Olzon is cute.

I used to like Evanesence but since they take forever to come out with new material now i've lost interrest in them. The other thing that annoys me is that Amy Lee said their sound was an accident and they never meant to sound like the other symphonic metal bands like Nightwish. I don't buy that at all. Amy Lee is a nice looking woman though.

I'm not sure if you're a fan of Epica or not but their singer Simone Simons is very hot:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=...ql=&oq=Simone+S

Of course all of them pail in comparison to my favorite metal lady, Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil.

• Like 1

1.Rhapsody of Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OJAN8jUt3U

and save this one for last:

Italians rock, these guys are gods just below Dream Theater 1022.gif

2. Kamelot

The Black Halo.. Ghost Opera.. I don't listen to Kamelot much at all anymore but I loved these two albums last year.

3. Nightwish

I like some hits, mainly Amaranth. I thoroughly enjoyed their end of an era dvd. The songs Planet Hell, Siren, and Bless the Child are great. But overall, they're not up to the "power metal" par. From Wikipedia:

QUOTE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonic_metal)
Another band fitting this description is Rhapsody of Fire, with a blend of guitars, drums and extremely large soundscapes including, in their later years, a full choir and a symphonic orchestra. They have a heavy influence from the early classical music and especially the baroque music, and all of their albums a part of a epic saga set in high fantasy worlds. Where as Nightwish might be the most popular power metal band, they are a bit more rock oriented in their way of building up their songs than Rhapsody of Fire, who relies on making albums with some sort of line to it, and songs that sound more like a classical piece of music than a rock track.
Edited by Kenneth

My Top 10 list of Symphonic Metal artists.

1. Stratovarius

2. Sonata Arctica

3. Nightwish

4. Blind Guardian

5. Trans-Siberian Orchestra

6. Apocalyptica

7. Tarja

8. Kamelot

9. Rhapsody of Fire

10. Epica

I don't consider Evanescence to be Symphonic Metal. Some same elements are there and they have some good tunes, but they don't hold a candle to any of the groups above. smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 23 2011, 01:55 PM)

1. Stratovarius
2. Sonata Arctica

Hmm. I know Sonata has turned symphonic in their latest album, but what of Stratovarius is symphonic? I really want to get their newest album by the way!

(ah, visions is... Still wouldn't consider them that symphonic.)

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 23 2011, 04:55 PM)

1. Stratovarius
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Nightwish
4. Blind Guardian
6. Apocalyptica
7. Tarja
8. Kamelot
9. Rhapsody of Fire
10. Epica

I don't consider Evanescence to be Symphonic Metal. Some same elements are there and they have some good tunes, but they don't hold a candle to any of the groups above. smilies-8579.png

Since when was Blind Guardian considered symphonic metal? They've always been power metal. While both genres have similarities musically, BG is way more power metal than symphonic.

I've always thought of them as a power/progressive metal band.

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jan 23 2011, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 07:13 PM)

Oh, my Ged... ohmy.gif wub.gif

*Kahme faints*

As you already know, Amy is one of my many girl-crushes. Those eyes are incredible. I'm jealous. Not to mention her angelic voice. tongue.gif

I love Evanescence and own all three of their albums; I'll also own their newest album when it's released. When it comes to Nightwish and Within Temptation (hush, I know I said come laugh.gif), I'm not as huge a fan of them as I am of Evanescence, but I do like them. The frontwomen of all three bands are beautiful. heart.gif

I thought you would love that picture that I posted.

Yeah, I do know that Amy Lee is one of your girl-crushes. As she is starting to slowly become one of mine.

Oh, yeah! I almost forgot that Evanescence has a new one coming out. Thanks for reminding me. hug2.gif

Within Temptation also has a new album coming out too. I really hope I can get it. I heard the first cut off of that one. It's called "Faster". It's pretty awesome.

But, yes, I agree with that statement. Sharon, Amy, and Tarja are very beautiful. heart.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 23 2011, 10:55 PM)

1. Stratovarius
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Nightwish
4. Blind Guardian
6. Apocalyptica
7. Tarja
8. Kamelot
9. Rhapsody of Fire
10. Epica

Blind Guardian aren't really Symphonic, but they were much better when they were just speed metal if you ask me.

Not a big fan of Symphonic metal proper, Some Symphonic black metal bands, like Graveworm and Emperor are alright though.

Well, guys...due to your lists, I have warmed up to Epica, Apocalyptica, and Sonata Arctica. They're all pretty great.

I love Simone Simons's voice, it's so angelic as Amy, Sharon, and Tarja's. Not to mention now I have actually started to like the newer Nightwish.

Awesome bands, guys. Keep them coming. cool.gif

I can't believe I never noticed this thread! SO I BUMP IT SHAMELESSLY!

Absolutely love all three bands, but Evanescence are one of the least impressive female fronted bands. Great stuff, but Nightwish, Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil are just all round more accomplished musically and creatively.

However, I do find it quite easy to believe Evanescence never intended to sound like the European bands they are so often lumped in with. Songwriting wise, take away Any Lee's voice, you have a musical template not far removed from the likes of Creed or Linkin Park, but with Amy's voice, it makes sense that they would add a classical leaning to accentuate their strongest points.

The early EP's and demo's all feel as if they evolved naturally over time, and with Amy Lee being a huge Meat Loaf fan, and even Bjork, the gradual increase of bombastic arrangements strike me has having been inevitable from day one.

Also, once Evanescence did explode, I noted a few songs from the European bands here and there that appeared to borrow heavily from the formula that made Bring Me To Life a huge success. Within Temptation released the beautiful The Silent Force, which I find at times sounds more like a beefed up and superior version of Fallen (especially when one compares it with WT's earlier classic release, Mother Earth), and most notably with What Have You Done? Which is a rather obvious attempt at creating a hit single (they have done far better singles both before, and after this one).

I am aware that Tuomas Holopainen is a fan of Evanescence, so the jury is out as to whether his Nightwish ever had direct influence from the Evs. As for Lacuna Coil, they always ALWAYS sounded the way they do, they progressed towards an American sound on their own terms due to the time they spent touring the US. And I remember reading an article where Andrea Ferro said that he was not at all impressed with the work of Evanescence, so any similarities to Evs are coincidental. Besides, nothing about Karmacode, the first LC album released after Evanescence sent this genre mainstream, sounds like Evs.

I do have one issue, now I come to think about it: Lacuna Coil were slowly, but surely, making a name for themselves in the US, and all over Europe, and something about Bring Me To Life sounds suspiciously similar to Comalies. Having heard a lot of demos from this time period, a lot of the songs were initially recorded with a very different style to the one that came to represent Fallen.

So maybe I was wrong, maybe the likes of LC did influence Evs, maybe not directly, but at least in terms of how and where the producer pushed them to sound in the studio. I wouldn't be surprised if the band were pushed to sound a certain way, as this sound was huge in Europe already, and Evs had a very different feel on all their previous works prior Fallen.

Nightwish.......I love Anything Post Tarja. the Past 3 are great.

Evanescnce is great Too. LOVE the open Door.

Only heard One WT album.......the Unforgiving. I liked it.

Mick

You like Meat Loaf? Try The Heart Of Everything. Possibly the most bombastic pop album I have ever heard (I don't believe it is metal).

I love Tarja. To death. But the songwriting really hit its stride with Dark Passion Play, and they have been improving since!

• Like 1

Oh Lacuna Coil Beats Evanescence. You didn't ask but it's true, lol

Mick

They do! I just think, overall, that Europe had this genre down pat, and as wonderful as Evanescence are, they had being from the US on their side. Otherwise, the best music in the female fronted world of metal was all European (not talking about the likes of Doro here).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I don't see how the sound on Comalies would have influenced Evanescence on Fallen. That was Evs first album, so i'm sure a lot of those songs had been written for a while at that point.

Release dates:

Comalies - October 29, 2002

Fallen - March 4, 2003

They were released less than six months apart. Even though the albums have a similar sound, it seems the writing and recording process both of them were being done at the same time. It's possible LCs stuff before this influenced Evs but who knows?

Segue, listen to the riffs in The Heart Of Everything. It's a metal album. You can call it pop symphonic metal if you like but the metal style is in every song.

• Like 1

I don't see how the sound on Comalies would have influenced Evanescence on Fallen. That was Evs first album, so i'm sure a lot of those songs had been written for a while at that point.

Release dates:

Comalies - October 29, 2002

Fallen - March 4, 2003

They were released less than six months apart. Even though the albums have a similar sound, it seems the writing and recording process both of them were being done at the same time. It's possible LCs stuff before this influenced Evs but who knows?

Segue, listen to the riffs in The Heart Of Everything. It's a metal album. You can call it pop symphonic metal if you like but the metal style is in every song.

O it definitely has a strong metal influence, but at the same time it merits consideration as a strong pop album (in the best possible way) as well!

I think you are right about the Comalies non influence. My only beef is that Bring Me To Life sounded so different in the demo version, and the released version bore a casual similarity to the standard LC song.

Either way, Comalies is a masterpiece, and overall remains underrated. Fallen deserved its success, it is just shame commercially speaking, its better rivals haven't done better!

By the way, Fallen was the bands first released album.

But prior to that were independently released EP's, with many great songs, an unofficial demo album called Origin (which I think is far better than Fallen), and plenty of demos.

I love Nightwish and Within Temptation.Saw Nightwish with Tarja and it was amazing.Within Temptation Black Symphony dvd is just amazing and i don't think they will ever top it.Epica,Lacuna Coil and After Forever (Floor Jansen is now with Nightwish)are also great.
  • Like 1