Rare footage.

snowdog2112

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great stuff! None of which I've seen before. I really liked the MTV/Power Windows video. This was during the period I had stopped following the band. Geddy's comments were very enlightening; interesting hearing what he was saying about what they were trying accomplish within the 5 minute song structure.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 19 2011, 05:06 PM)
Great stuff! None of which I've seen before. I really liked the MTV/Power Windows video. This was during the period I had stopped following the band. Geddy's comments were very enlightening; interesting hearing what he was saying about what they were trying accomplish within the 5 minute song structure.

Glad you're liking it! I figured when I said I had rare stuff a lot of people were going to roll their eyes assuming that I was just clueless but the reality is I've been collecting unreleased Rush videos for almost 20 years and I know what's commonly available and what's not. Like I said earlier, some of this stuff has even been rediscovered by me just recently. Hell, it's so rare I didn't even know I had it! laugh.gif

I do plan to post some things that I've scrounged from around the web though that would still be new to 90% of the fans here but I'm sure a few will say "Yeah, that's no big deal". There are a lot of younger fans though that may not have seen them though. I figure I'm going to err on the side of putting too much up rather than not. You can always skip it if you've seen it and go to the next one.

Keep watching!

Ok, I've got lots more from my VHS stash on the way but I also want to gauge some other things and see if you guys want some of them or not. None of these have I ever seen on youtube but it's possible a lot of you have seen them some other place. Here's one example:

This is the KSHE (St. Louis) hall of fame induction for Rush in 2007.

Is this the kind of thing that most people have seen or is it worth posting more videos that are at this level of "rare"?

Or how about this? It's Geddy's appearance on Mike Bullard's show in 2000.

Do you guys want more of these, too? They're quicker because they're already on my computer but I'll continue with my VHS stuff, too.

I'm purposefully titling the videos in a rather vague way to try to avoid things like "KSHE" or "Mike Bullard" so maybe they won't be noticed as quickly. It may not matter.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 17 2011, 10:35 PM)
Here's a short interview with Alex after a show in Germany during the Roll the Bones tour (I hope, provided I did everything correctly). The first few seconds are a little rough. It's in English with German subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHcrA7rCHM

Is that a snuggie?

Dude, this stuff is incredible! I have not seen any of these videos! I notice you are in Austin, TX. If I make it to the Austin show (depends on if I get the time off of work), then please, let me buy you a beer...or ten. trink39.gif

Again, thank you so much for your time! I got some sort of stomach bug and had to stay home from work tonight. I have been catching up on your uploads, and it makes sitting at home sick a bit more enjoyable! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 19 2011, 08:55 PM)
Dude, this stuff is incredible! I have not seen any of these videos! I notice you are in Austin, TX. If I make it to the Austin show (depends on if I get the time off of work), then please, let me buy you a beer...or ten. trink39.gif

Again, thank you so much for your time! I got some sort of stomach bug and had to stay home from work tonight. I have been catching up on your uploads, and it makes sitting at home sick a bit more enjoyable! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cool! Glad you're enjoying them. Come back in a few minutes, another one is on the way.

Have you not seen the KSHE or Mike Bullard shows either? In other words, I'm just trying to establish if I need to basically upload everything that's not already on youtube. I just don't want to post one thing after another that people have already seen and therefore have everybody tune out. I have to assume though that pretty much anything not on youtube will only have been seen by the most obsessive collectors but I'm not sure. If you guys want all that stuff too you're in for a treat because holy crap there's a lot of it. biggrin.gif

I was born in Austin and then later lived there for 20 years between the ages of 21 and 41 until 2009. I'm now back in my hometown of Texarkana to take care of an elderly uncle. I just forgot to update my info. I will however be going to the Austin show so maybe I'll see you there! I remember being so excited to hear Rockline during the Counterparts tour because Rush did the broadcast from the KLBJ studio in Austin the night before the show. I've still got it on cassette.

By the way, are you trying to get me drunk?!? laugh.gif

Another from my VHS stuff. Basically, the "Geddy" part of this interview was done as part of a much larger documentary called Rush Hour in 1987. I'm going to get to that later but I'm pretty darn sure without going through every minute of it that Geddy's interview footage here is not on the main show so I'm going to go ahead and post it separately.

You guys will see a lot of that coming up. There are many interviews that almost everyone has seen like the ones on disc 2 of R30 but where other footage from those same interviews was not shown and I've got quite a bit. In other words, if you just glance at the footage you might think "I've already got this" when in reality it's different footage from the same interviews that have been released (with some overlap).

Anyway, this is from the beginning of the Hold Your Fire tour in Halifax with (mostly) Geddy being interviewed in the arena and trying to talk over the drums. The Alex bit is in the longer doc and will be seen again only with much more. There's a bit of live footage from Halifax but the audio from the studio version is superimposed. You'll also see a couple seconds of one of the R30 easter eggs at the beginning.

And it instantly told me it's blocked in some countries. Great. Let me know if some of you can't see it and I'll do something about it.

Enjoy!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 19 2011, 10:11 PM)
By the way, are you trying to get me drunk?!?  laugh.gif

So what if I am... ph34r.gif tongue.gif

No, I had NO IDEA the Mike Bullard footage with Geddy existed! I'm a bit of a Geddy nut, and I was so ashamed that I had no knowledge of this footage. facepalm.gif And, I hadn't see the KSHE one either.

In fact, the only ones I had seen that you have posted so far have been the "Tears Are Not Enough" (however, yours has got to be the BEST copy I have seen! Very clear! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ) and the Juno award one. Rest has been quite a joy for this crazy little Rush fan.

Here's something that maybe people will be interested in.

Or not.

The making of The Big Money video.

On a related note, I'm going to upload the full version of the TBM video in the near future. I still can't believe that they only put the cut down version on Chronicles. It's annoying. The GUP VHS tape is still the only place to see the full length version.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 19 2011, 11:42 PM)
Here's something that maybe people will be interested in.

Or not.

The making of The Big Money video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448tOPV3Ccw

On a related note, I'm going to upload the full version of the TBM video in the near future. I still can't believe that they only put the cut down version on Chronicles. It's annoying. The GUP VHS tape is still the only place to see the full length version.

I had seen that one YEARS ago (maybe through "The National Midnight Star" site? I don't remember) but the quality of the video I saw was so HORRIBLE that I don't think I actually made it through the whole thing. Thanks!

Ok, here's a short one for now with Geddy from 2000. I'll put up some better and longer MFH era clips later. This poor interviewer lady can't even get the name of the album right. Just sad.

Meanwhile, all the comments except one I've gotten so far on youtube are either about their hair or clothes. Seriously, WTF??!?!?!? Who cares?!?! wacko.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 20 2011, 12:17 AM)
Ok, here's a short one for now with Geddy from 2000. I'll put up some better and longer MFH era clips later. This poor interviewer lady can't even get the name of the album right. Just sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIErDYw2YPI

Meanwhile, all the comments except one I've gotten so far on youtube are either about their hair or clothes. Seriously, WTF??!?!?!? Who cares?!?! wacko.gif

Love it when interviewers screw stuff up. It's like they have no clue! tongue.gif

Great clip, though! You're awesome!! And, I posted a comment that had NOTHING to do with clothes or hair! I shall go back and comment on them all! wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jan 19 2011, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 20 2011, 12:17 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIErDYw2YPI

Meanwhile, all the comments except one I've gotten so far on youtube are either about their hair or clothes. Seriously, WTF??!?!?!? Who cares?!?!  wacko.gif

Love it when interviewers screw stuff up. It's like they have no clue! tongue.gif

Great clip, though! You're awesome!! And, I posted a comment that had NOTHING to do with clothes or hair! I shall go back and comment on them all! wink.gif

Like I said, I'll put up some longer, better ones later. Yeah, good natured joking around about that stuff for fun.. hey, go for it. The band even does it. But it seriously seems to bother some people and they just fixate on it. It's just not important.

Speaking of joking around about the band, this will either make some of you laugh or piss you off. I think it's kind of funny except that the constant references to elves and D&D are just so misplaced. I mean, have any of these people heard anything about Rush in the last 35 years or so? Hell, Led Zeppelin has more "magical forest" songs than Rush and they're never called a D&D band. Oh well.

Don't worry, I'll get to much more substantive stuff shortly.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this anyway on VH1. Just a small detour.

Whew - I just watched everything but the two longest videos on page 1! Will get to those later, but for now a little sleep schla03.gif Thanks for catching me (and others) up on the history of the band I FINALLY had the sense to become a big fan of! Watching them through the years reminds me that even though I've missed a lot, I'm lucky and happy to be catching up biggrin.gif

Archived