Rare footage.

snowdog2112

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here's another really good one (to me, anyway). It's the full Artist of the Decade Award presentation from 1990. It's about 12 minutes long with a nice introduction and tribute by Sam Sniderman, a great retrospective with interviews, and an acceptance speech. You'll see some of the interviews that are also on R30 but there's quite a bit of different footage here from those. It's funny to think that it's presented as sort of a lifetime achievement award and yet it was over half their career ago now.

Enjoy!

Jeez, nobody's here tonight.

Oh well, I guess I'll entertain myself. laugh.gif

I just edited and compiled this footage from Muchmusic's Spotlight program from 1996 I have on VHS. It's basically all the connecting bits with the videos removed. I did, however, leave the video for Marathon in there since it's a completely different edit than what's on ASOH and so may be of some interest to collectors. They did it that way to make it more of a montage of the concert and it has a couple other differences.

Additionally, there are clips featuring more footage (and some repeats) of the Artist of the Decade awards interviews, a brief bit of live footage of Limelight from Halifax in 1987, more footage in a couple spots from the Roll the Bones tour Auburn Hills show in 1991, and footage from the making of the Half the World video. Hope you like it, I just made it and it was hard, haha! And at 14:57 it just barely squeaked under the time limit.

Let me know what you think. Yeah, yeah, I'm not going to have a career as an editor. laugh.gif It should be good enough, though. I think the journey for just this one video from VHS to DVD to my computer to the editor to the format converter to the clip joiner to the youtube upload and processing and posting here took well over 4 hours, maybe 5. I'm not getting paid enough for this. Any more beer offers? But I'll keep going anyway because of my obsessive compulsiveness. laugh.gif

And in a bit of interesting trivia, the "flying over the trees and river" segment of the Marathon edit here was actually used during Time Stand Still during the tour which means they likely went back to the raw full concert video to draw that from.

Oh, please! I am still here! I just had to catch up on a few because I worked last night! I love what you are doing. You're AWESOME!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 07:53 PM)
Ok, here's another really good one (to me, anyway). It's the full Artist of the Decade Award presentation from 1990. It's about 12 minutes long with a nice introduction and tribute by Sam Sniderman, a great retrospective with interviews, and an acceptance speech. You'll see some of the interviews that are also on R30 but there's quite a bit of different footage here from those. It's funny to think that it's presented as sort of a lifetime achievement award and yet it was over half their career ago now.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4e97Fd0OU

Peart Sr. - "it's about time they got some attention!" laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:53 PM)

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4e97Fd0OU

I really liked this one, it was a nice tribute to the boys!

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 22 2011, 01:37 PM)
Great stuff, snowdog! I'm really enjoying them smile.gif

Thank you so much for sharing these! trink39.gif

You're all welcome! Be patient, more is coming. It's just tedious and slow.

Have you guys ever seen that A Concert of Politics show before? I'm sure some have but it's pretty hard to find from what I understand.

Ok, here's part 1 of Rush Hour from the HYF era. I think you guys will really like this, it's almost all "non music video" content instead of a lot of those shows where there's about 4 minutes combined of interviews filled up with the same videos we've all seen a million times. This part has more footage of the Ivor Wynn soundcheck in 1979, another retrospective segment, interview footage with Geddy talking about balancing their personal and band lives and relationships within the band, and interview footage with Alex talking about time off, hobbies, and his inventions. Alex is funny as usual. smile.gif

If you guys don't like this show I'm going to be pissed! angry.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Also, for those who are wondering, I'll probably go back and redo the ones with watermarks so there are clean copies for you to download but for now I'm on a roll with this software I'm used to so let me just get it all up first then I'll go back when I have time. Sorry for the annoyance but this was the least intrusive watermark I could find until I got a better suggestion from RushFanForever. It should be good enough to enjoy everything for now, right?

Well, unbelievable. It got 2/3 through uploading and it said "failed to upload due to unknown error". I haven't seen that error yet and I assume it's just a random glitch so I'm trying again right now. If for some reason it still doesn't work I'll put it on rapidshare for you guys. Don't worry, one way or the other you'll see it soon.

Well, praise be to Rush it worked, that was an ordeal! wacko.gif I'd hoped to do the whole thing tonight and now I just hope to get part 2 up.

Anyway, enjoy!

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 22 2011, 03:04 PM)
I've seen the Concert of Politics before.  I think they used to have it on  the Rushisaband Site 2.gif  2.gif

Ah, gotcha, I should have known that since I go there all the time. Oh well, hopefully it's new to someone. I couldn't find it anywhere now and certainly not on youtube. If I find I've duplicated something I'll go back later and remove it.

Well, crap, now I see it on Google videos. Sorry about that!

QUOTE (shail @ Jan 22 2011, 04:22 PM)
this is such great footage.

Thanks! Sorry for the delay. More is coming one way or another. I probably shouldn't have said what was coming, I think that cursed my upload so I'd ended up looking stupid. laugh.gif

Ok, here's part 2 of Rush Hour. Geddy talking about what music he's listening to, travelling, shift in lyrical style, lyrics for Mission, expectations for HYF, fan devotion, and then the piece that's one of the Easter Eggs on R30*.

Part 3 coming soon.

* Actually, I think it's slightly different. I'd have to go back and look for sure but I think the one on R30 has the AC/DC guy cut out.

Here's part 3 of Rush Hour.

A bit of The Big Money from Halifax (with studio audio, though), followed by Geddy discussing several of their videos in detail. Probably the weakest of the parts only because there's less interview and more footage of their videos but it's still pretty neat. There's still more of this show coming.

Archived