Rare footage.

snowdog2112

Here's part 4 of Rush Hour.

Geddy discussing the Distant Early Warning video, preparations for the tour and how difficult it will be to play the new songs, discussing having a 4th member on stage, having Alex play some keyboard, and a very brief look at the keyboards and pedals on stage.

Part 5 coming!

Oh, and Rushcat, I just found something this morning that's going to make you very, very happy. I sort of had a vague idea that I had it but it's been so long since I'd seen it I wasn't even sure if it actually existed or if it was something I just dreamed up. I'll try to get to it later today. smile.gif

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, I thought more people would devour this stuff. I know of several people specifically who love HYF for instance who are probably totally unaware of this Rush Hour show and I've never even seen their names in this thread. Maybe I should have titled it differently although I would have thought that "rare footage" would have at least brought everybody in for a look. Oh well. It doesn't affect me any but I'm surprised that more people haven't seemed to even notice all this stuff. It seems like 3/4 of the posts are mine.

Ok, moving on from the bitching and whining portion... laugh.gif

Here's part 5, the last part of Rush Hour. This is my favorite part and includes Alex discussing stage nerves and the relationship with the crew, interview clips with Liam Birt, Howard Ungerleider, and Tony Geranios, footage of the stage setup, a bit of Subdivisions from Halifax (with studio audio), Alex talking about developing as a young band, Geddy's advice to younger bands, Alex on external pressure, and a promotion/montage of the brand new A Show of Hands video.

Enjoy! smile.gif

QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ Jan 23 2011, 01:44 PM)
during the power windows interviews there was video that ive never seen b4! mabey a power windows live dvd coming out soon?

Unfortunately no, there are several examples of clips like that. It's just the reporting crew shooting a couple minutes. That's what the footage of Buffalo, 1980 and Halifax, 1987 are too.

Thanks guys!

I should have been a little more clear, probably. It's not that I'm looking for attention or gratitude (although I do appreciate the nice comments and they motivate me to keep going) but mostly I just want to make sure that the fans who would want to see this stuff are sufficiently aware that it's here, that's all. After all, that's why I'm doing this. I mean, I can watch all this stuff myself at any time without sharing it at all. I just wonder if I should (or even can) change the title or something. Maybe there just aren't many people who even care and I misjudged that. I'm happy that there are some of you who are getting some enjoyment from this, though. Was that Rush Hour program new to many of you? What did you think of it?

Anyway...

This next one may not be a big deal to many of you but it's satisfying to me. The only version of The Big Money video either on youtube or even on Chronicles is that infernal chopped up one that drives me crazy. So I'm uploading the full length version from my original GUP concert VHS. I included the text title screen and end credits as they are on the tape following the concert for the sake of completeness and nostalgia. I'll get to more interesting stuff in a bit.

Rushcat, I assume you've seen the brief interview with Alex in his black and white striped shirt in 1982 discussing Countdown, right? It's an MTV news clip that's just about exactly a minute long. I can't even find it on the internet right now but I think most people have seen it. It may even be in one of the videos I've already uploaded.

Every time I see the clip I keep expecting Alex to reference Van Halen because I could swear I remember him saying something about comparing the volume of the Columbia launch with Van Halen. For years I've see that clip here and there and it's always been the same 1 minute from MTV and every time I would say "That's so weird, I could have sworn there was more to it". I was beginning to think I either had imagined him mentioning Van Halen or else I was losing my mind. Well, in going through stuff this morning I found the original feature that that interview came from. I still almost can't believe it. It was not originally on MTV, they simply took a minute out of it to use in their news segment with a different voiceover. So now I have the full segment that I've never seen anywhere and it's even in significantly better quality than the existing clip. I probably hadn't seen it in almost 20 years. It's still not real long, the whole feature was about ten minutes but that included the Subdivisions video. So the remainder is with Alex, maybe roughly 4 minutes or so. That's about as good as it'll ever get if you want to see previously unavailable footage of Alex being interviewed in the early 80s. In fact, that's probably all there is. I'm probably going to wed that to the existing footage (and I have a better copy of that, too) and create an extended video showing everything. But probably not until tomorrow. Everything I've uploaded since yesterday has taken forever for youtube to process. This TBM video alone has taken over an hour and a half.

Anyway, sound good? You have seen the one minute clip, right?

Wow. I wrote a book. laugh.gif

Yes, we're definitely still here! It was too cold to go outside this weekend, so I caught up through Part 1 of Rush Hour. Almost everything is new to me as I'm a new fan, and I feel very fortunate to be getting such a good immersion early in my fandom.

I hear people talking about your vids over on Facebook, so I think lots of Rush fans are aware. They might not be on this site, or very vocal, but you're reaching them!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 23 2011, 09:33 PM)
Yes, we're definitely still here! It was too cold to go outside this weekend, so I caught up through Part 1 of Rush Hour. Almost everything is new to me as I'm a new fan, and I feel very fortunate to be getting such a good immersion early in my fandom.

I hear people talking about your vids over on Facebook, so I think lots of Rush fans are aware. They might not be on this site, or very vocal, but you're reaching them!

Ok, good to hear! smile.gif

A short upload but I doubt many people at all have seen these clips. It's two very rare videos of Alex. As in, super-extremely rare. The quality's not the greatest and it cuts off a bit early but it's all I have.

First is Alex presenting at an awards show in the late 70s with Kim Mitchell, and following that is a short feature of Alex taking a flight in an F-18 fighter in the RTB era. More Alex for you Rushcat. smile.gif Neat stuff, I hope you guys like them!

way back in the day when Neil toured by bicycle, he was caught on a muchmusic camera in the back ground bringing his bicycle into the venue, while the reporter talks about the rush show coming up. Neil talks about it in one of his books. find me that clip and you're pretty much the man!! lol!

I checked out most of the vids you have up. nice!! like seeing rare stuff, keep it up!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jan 24 2011, 12:47 AM)
way back in the day when Neil toured by bicycle, he was caught on a muchmusic camera in the back ground bringing his bicycle into the venue, while the reporter talks about the rush show coming up. Neil talks about it in one of his books. find me that clip and you're pretty much the man!! lol!

I checked out most of the vids you have up. nice!! like seeing rare stuff, keep it up!

Yeah, I read that too. That may even be beyond the scope of my collection! laugh.gif

If I just put up a short clip of a guy riding his bike in the distance can you just pretend it's Neil? wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 24 2011, 02:38 AM)
Thanks very much Snowdog those rare Alex clips are the best. At the end of the plane sequence i notice it cuts out before he says that it felt like sex.

Sorry about the cutoff. I didn't do it, that's simply all I have.

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 24 2011, 02:54 AM)
No Ive not seen the 1982 MTV Clip you refer to Snowdog. I would LOVE to see that Please Please Please. cat.gif cat.gif cat.gif

Ok, well, so much the better then! It'll all be new to you. For the rest of you who have seen that short MTV clip you may be surprised that there's more to the original footage that MTV didn't show.

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 24 2011, 01:44 PM)
Snowdog have you stopped putting stuff up, or is it just taking a while? 2.gif 2.gif

I'm very busy at work today, sorry. Don't worry, I'm not going to stop until I get everything I have made available. Some days I just have more time and others I don't. Also, I'm sure most people don't care about the process but it's much more tedious than you might imagine. I don't even have a VHS/DVD combo burner so I'm using my aunt's at her house. So I have to go through my tapes and see what I have, coordinate with my aunt about when I can go to her house, spend hours burning/finalizing/labeling each disc and tape, then come back home and figure out what I want to combine and how I want to edit the clips, then edit them and combine them while sometimes having to convert the format, then upload and process each one on youtube which for some reason is taking forever lately (that rare Alex clip that's 3 minutes long alone took over 3 hours last night for youtube to process), and then come here and type everything and put up links. Whew! wacko.gif And that's not including sporatic technical obstacles like failed uploads and such.

And that's while being a full-time Realtor and spending several hours a day at my near-bedridden 86 year old uncle's helping to feed him and such 3 times a day. I don't mean to sound defensive, I'm just explaining so you know what's going on. smile.gif I know you're curious and anxious to see what's coming so I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing what I can.

Something as seemingly simple as that 1982 feature I mentioned might take until tomorrow because I want to put all of it together into one clip. When I copy a VHS tape with only a few minutes on it the combo player takes like 2 hours just to finalize it for use in other players. So by the time I copy those clips to dvd and finalize them, edit them, upload them and youtube processes them it's like 6 hours or more of actual work for just a few minutes of output. So since I already have some things here at the house ready to upload I'm going to do those until I go back to my aunt's tomorrow to burn the other part of the 1982 footage.

I'm doing my best to get some more up in a little while but because of the complex logistics of this I just don't think that Alex one will be done until tomorrow. Sorry. sad.gif

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it yet but I figured you'd want to know that I found it. It should be worth the wait.

Also, once I'm done I'll likely go back and replace all the ones with watermarks with clean copies. It's bugging me more and more as I'm sure it is for you guys. Once I finally found something that worked I just wanted to stick with it for now.

Back in a bit! smile.gif

And hey, here's one now! For some reason the long clips don't seem to take as long to process. Or maybe it's a coincidence. I expected to have to come back later but it's already done. smile.gif

Here's part 1 of Neil Peart on Pamela Wallin's show from around 1996, I think. For those of you who haven't seen it it's a real treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOBNL1PHus

Snowdog, you da man!!!!!! (I do not feel I can add a sufficient number of exclamation points to this statement no matter how hard I try) Sorry I'm late to this party, but I am enjoying the hell out of it. The Toronto Music Awards made me think "Damn! Even Canadians can't pronounce Neil's name!" And the uncut Big Money video is incredible. Aw, heck, who am I kidding? It's all incredible. More 80's, please!

QUOTE (Rushcat @ Jan 24 2011, 03:43 PM)
Thanks all these are Great. I did nt mean to hassle you. You sound really busy. Its great that you can do this as well as everything else you've got on your plate at the moment. 2.gif 2.gif

No bother at all, Rushcat I know you're just curious as I would be. Feel free to ask for updates any time, I'm happy to tell you what's going on. I didn't mean to sound pressured, I just wanted to tell you and the others the process so you know what's up and also know that I'm not stalling or anything. This is just the best I can do. Quite honestly, I'm getting these done much faster than I thought I would, I hoped to average maybe 1 or 2 a day but I've already got about 50 vids up.

More's coming! Hang in there. smile.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jan 24 2011, 03:48 PM)
Snowdog, you da man!!!!!! (I do not feel I can add a sufficient number of exclamation points to this statement no matter how hard I try)  Sorry I'm late to this party, but I am enjoying the hell out of it.  The Toronto Music Awards made me think "Damn! Even Canadians can't pronounce Neil's name!"  And the uncut Big Money video is incredible.  Aw, heck, who am I kidding?  It's all incredible.  More 80's, please!

Thanks for the nice words. smile.gif

See, this is kind of what I figured, there are still a bunch of regulars around here that for some reason haven't even bothered to come in and look so far. Oh well, I'm glad you're here now and please tell anyone else you think might be interested. I'm doing this for everybody else after all, not me. And it's easier to do it this way than to have all of you guys come over to my house to watch! laugh.gif

And about Neil's name, yeah, that drives me crazy too. The end of the Wallin show is funny though because of exactly that. She specifically points out to him that she pronounced it right all night. laugh.gif

As far as the 80s stuff, have you already watched all of the Rush Hour clips or is that show something you've already seen before?

Part 2 of Neil coming shortly.

Archived