Who else hates Porcupine Tree?

yyzyy

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 16 2011, 08:17 PM)
I bought 'Fear of a Blank Planet' & 'In Absentia'. The only song that really spoke to me was 'Futile'. Awesome tune from beginning to end...killer intro, killer musicianship, killer lyrics. It was also the first song I heard from them, so believe me I was excited.

But man, every other song on both albums is just terrible. It's so dull and boring...and I can't wrap my head around why a lot of people like this band. And they all just look like a bunch of dweebs!

Just speaking my opinion here...

I guess its just personal taste. I love them, as many people here do. Those are 2 of their best albums, so if you don't like them, you probably won't like anything else. They are a band where you either love or hate them. To each his own.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PT, through the years, has evolved from their 'progressive rock' grouping. Steven Wilson hates the term himself and absolutely hates being compared to bands like Floyd and Yes. I think they're more along the lines of experimental rock. However, listening to the early albums (like 'On the Sunday of Life' and 'Signify') shows a more progressive hard rock/metal side. But they've changed through time (which is where 'Stupid Dream' comes in with their psychedelic phase).

I don't agree on comparing them to Pink Floyd or Yes or even Genesis. Those bands had a unique sound on their own. That is why you can never compare bands or artists. They all have a unique sound to their music (no matter how generic or experimental it is). People who like PT just because they're progressive, don't know the definition of progressive music.

The musicianship is above average. Gavin Harrison is one of the best, if not the greatest, of modern drummers out there today. Colin Edwin definitely has some of the best bass riffs apart from Roger Waters, Chris Squire, and even Michael Rutherford. Steven Wilson's guitar playing definitely has some heavy metal influence.

Like any other band, Porcupine Tree does need a few listens. I know it took me a lot of listens to really get used to them. But, eventually, you could come to like them. But I can see why you don't like them.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 16 2011, 08:31 PM)
The musicianship is above average. Gavin Harrison is one of the best, if not the greatest, of modern drummers out there today. Colin Edwin definitely has some of the best bass riffs apart from Roger Waters, Chris Squire, and even Michael Rutherford. Steven Wilson's guitar playing definitely has some heavy metal influence.

goodpost.gif

Also, Richard Barbieri is an underrated keyboardist. I like his mellow, Rick Wright-like sound. John Wesley is also very talented. His solo material is excellent, and he puts it all out for free.

I understand that people need references or benchmarks sometimes, when they're trying to describe a "new" or unfamiliar band to someone.

But I really hate that kind of typecasting. It's hard but I try to stay away from describing a band in terms of another band, ESPECIALLY when it comes to bands that get the whole "prog" name. People assume that because I love Genesis, Yes, and Rush, that I'll automatically like band X or band Y. Most of the time it doesn't work, at least for me.

I love a lot of Porcupine Tree. At the time we (my wife and I) got into them, "Signify" had just come out, and I couldn't have come up with a point of reference for them to save my life. I just thought they were interesting, atmospheric, sometimes clever, and often brilliant.

However, I DO find a lot of their music pretty depressing. A depression survivor myself, I can't listen to them too often, and these days now that life is MUCH better, I don't have the inclination to play them very much. But in the dark days I played them A LOT. Suited my sad and angry moods very well.

Admittedly I was not smitten with them on first listen after receiving a couple burned discs from a friend. It took a while, but I really grew to appreciate them and now they're one of my favorite bands. I felt this way about Rush as well for the longest time. So sometimes it pays to stick with a band and really let them grow on you. It worked for me with PT.

IF you don't like PT, however, perhaps give Blackfield a try. It's still Steven Wilson (vox/guitars) from Porcupine Tree, but he's teamed with an Israeli singer (who sings English), Aviv Geffen. Their material is a bit more pop oriented and not nearly as progressive. I actually liked them more immediately than I did Porcupine Tree.

Good luck!

Edited by Presto-digitation

I've given them several listens on several different occasions and nothing! With Dream Theater it took me 3 or 4 montbs to understand...it has been a good year and a half that I go and revisit Porcupine Tree and my hatred for them continues to grow! That's it for me and PT, case closed...and Rush is a different story!

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 16 2011, 08:31 PM)
Like any other band, Porcupine Tree does need a few listens. I know it took me a lot of listens to really get used to them. But, eventually, you could come to like them.

I remember the first time I heard PT. I bought Fear of a Blank Planet. I certainly wasn't blown away, but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. Eventually, I came to love the CD, and moved on to some of their other material.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 17 2011, 12:34 PM)
I've given them several listens on several different occasions and nothing!  With Dream Theater it took me 3 or 4 montbs to understand...it has been a good year and a half that I go and revisit Porcupine Tree and my hatred for them continues to grow!  That's it for me and PT, case closed...and Rush is a different story!

I'm not sure what there is to hate. That's a pretty strong word. What's the primary basis for your vitriol...that they look nerdy?

Even people I know who dislike Rush emensely (often due to Ged's voice, I've found) at least concede that they're talented even if not their cup of tea. Surely even in your dislike you'd have to own up to that much, no?

Again, look up some Blackfield. You might like that more. Or Steven Wilson's Insurgentes solo album.

Edited by Presto-digitation

The drummer is awesome no doubt. The other guys are talented as well. But they don't strike me as a good band. It's not because they look dorky or anything, that just adds to my viewpoint. Jordan Rudess looks like a goof, but he is a great player and I enjoy his work with DT, LTE, his solo work...everything, so that's got nothing to do with it.

Just seeing these guys live and hearing their music really irritates me. I don't know what it is and I wish I could enjoy their music, I really do...but I just can't see why there is so much hype about these guys? For me, they just don't do anything

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Jan 17 2011, 02:34 PM)
The drummer is awesome no doubt. The other guys are talented as well. But they don't strike me as a good band. It's not because they look dorky or anything, that just adds to my viewpoint. Jordan Rudess looks like a goof, but he is a great player and I enjoy his work with DT, LTE, his solo work...everything, so that's got nothing to do with it.

Just seeing these guys live and hearing their music really irritates me. I don't know what it is and I wish I could enjoy their music, I really do...but I just can't see why there is so much hype about these guys? For me, they just don't do anything

It's interesting. You've just described the way I feel about Dream Theater. I SHOULD like them, and I do recognize and respect their ability to play. But for the most part their music just does not move me.

I feel starved for compositional nuances when I listen to them, and too little experimentation. They sound like a band that I would play just for the sake of having music on, not really to listen to it. If I had to say something nice, I do like the general sound that they have.

All in all, Not for me.

I don't see the reason for a PT hatethread.

I stumbled across PT through these forums, and was very glad that I did. Ever since, Deadwing, In absentia and FOABP have been on high rotation in my earphones.

I personally don't connect with the lyrics on a dark level like many of you mention, having never been there myself. The music however, is what I seem to connect with and I feel that the composition (not by just SW, but the WHOLE band) is excellent on Deadwing, In absentia and FOABP, and there is plenty of talent shared amongst the band.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I stand with PT.

Purchased my first PT cd last year jumped right in with the latest "The Incident" there's moments on there that I truly love, then some that start to put me schla03.gif and the Pink Floyd influence sounds like more of a Floyd "riff" off. wink.gif But overall is worth multiple plays to absorb, and it's peaked my interest to invest deeper in there catalog.(When I'm in the depressed mood) tongue.gif

People who "hate" Porcupine Tree are infants. Humans with small underdeveloped penises or uptight venomous vaginas who can't evolve.

The Stink Floyd comparison is so cliche yet so accurate.

Who cares? It's pure homage.

Neil and Alex love this band. So does Dave Meniketti from Y&T.

A lot of musicians dig Steven's turbulent and timid tunage.

If you don't then that's your own insecurity, I mean intellectual isolation of erratic immaturity. LOL!

Don't take my words too serious. This is just a Forum.

I will love Porcupine Tree, Rush and Y&T for ETERNITY!

Hey that rhymed!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

OR NOT....................

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 17 2011, 11:52 PM)
People who "hate" Porcupine Tree are infants. Humans with small underdeveloped penises or uptight venomous vaginas who can't evolve.

If you don't then that's your own insecurity, I mean intellectual isolation of erratic immaturity. LOL!

Hey that rhymed!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

I'm still not convinced tongue.gif

The bit that I have heard of them, they really didn't "grab me" like other bands that I like.

But, I have to admit, I haven't given them a very thorough listen. Maybe I should sometime. wink.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 18 2011, 02:52 AM)

Hey that rhymed!

IN ROCK WE TRUST!

1022.gif

Conviction is a good thing