Rush 2011 remasters

ak2112

So I have heard on from folks on here that there will be new Rush remasters coming out this year. First off, does anyone know if they will be Mercury, Atlantic or both? Also, what are folks thoughts on getting some of them? I have bought most of the Mercury remasters from 1997 and I do like them, even though they do tend to be a little loud for my ears. I've also really gotten into the SHM-CD's from Rush and I believe they're also remastered and thet sound excellent without suffering from excessive noisiness like the 1997 remasters.

For me, I will only consider getting them if thet do a quality job and aren't brickwalled to death. What I'm really hoping for is some high rez remasters in either SACD or DVD-Audio. If that happens, I might very well get them all. Thoughts?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have all the 97 remasters, and I will be re-purchasing all the 2011 remasters. Well... IF they sound good that is. I'm sure they'll be an improvement over the 97's, which I never really liked much even when they first came out.

I'm actually quite happy with the quality of the current CD remasters. They sound great on the home theater system. The only remaster I would buy is a Vapor Trails remaster like they did on Retrospect III. One Little Victory and Earthshine sounded pretty awesome remixed/remastered.

We simply don't know much about this yet. In the meantime there's no point in making statements that contradict the available info. Why would you say it's only the Atlantic albums? The only thing we know came from a blurb in a Classic Rock magazine many months ago and it clearly said "the entire catalog" would be reissued.

And Ed just included this on his end of year summary:

Something else we could potentially see in 2011 is another reissue of Rush's entire back catalog. This was mentioned briefly in a Prog magazine article earlier this year but no details were given. From what I've been hearing lately, this will coincide with the release of Clockwork Angels and include Rush's entire catalog up through and including Vapor Trails.

So..

1. They may not even come out this year since CA probably won't.

2. When they do come out the plan is to include the entire catalog up through Vapor Trails.

3. It seems likely that something else will be done with them such as either high quality stereo and/or 5.1 like the S&A MVI package, or maybe including unreleased live songs from those albums. I don't really think it'll just be a reprinting of what we already have.

It just seems like some people are almost looking forward to being disappointed so they can gripe. Look, if they release something worthwhile then buy it, if not, don't. It's not like you're being sent a bill for them. It kind of cracks me up to read on one hand that they're only doing this to make money and then on the other hand saying no one will want these. One of these has to be wrong. How about we just wait for some actual announcement to tear it all apart?

Here's the original (and only) mention of this from last May:

The latest edition of Classic Rock presents Prog magazine contains a short article on Rush where they speak with Geddy Lee about the Rush documentary, the band's upcoming album and tour, and their future plans. The article mentions that Rush hopes to tour the UK in 2011 along with this very interesting bit of news:

... Rush's back catalogue will be the subject of a major reissues campaign in 2011 ...

Rush's back catalog was last reissued back in 1997, when all of their albums through A Show of Hands were re-released as The Rush Remasters series. It'll be interesting to see what this next major reissues campaign will entail. You can check out the entire article by clicking on the scans above. Thanks to Chris W for the heads up and the scans.

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=2168

I'll get a Vapor Trails remaster but other than that... honestly, I am happy with the way the original versions sound. All of my cds are the originals, except for the first 2 live albums (since the remasters had the missing tracks that were left off of the originals)

I will get V.T and thats it. No Bonus disk, no buy. How many f-n copies of GUP do i really need ? Cash grab, plain and simple

There are only two entities that can "cash-grab"; thieves and the government. That's it. It's a meaningless and ridiculous term when used in the free market. If people buy something it's because they want it, if they don't want it they won't buy it. There is demand or there isn't. Has Neil come to your house and stolen your wallet or something? Besides, like I already said, if no one will want these then how are they going to make any money? The premise is self-defeating.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 4 2011, 10:17 AM)
There are only two entities that can "cash-grab"; thieves and the government. That's it. It's a meaningless and ridiculous term when used in the free market. If people buy something it's because they want it, if they don't want it they won't buy it. There is demand or there isn't. Has Neil come to your house and stolen your wallet or something? Besides, like I already said, if no one will want these then how are they going to make any money? The premise is self-defeating.

The only "Demand" is for V.T. You don't call it a Cash Grab, everyone else does that i know . What do you call it when someone releases the same product over and over with nothing new on it and wants you to Buy it ? It is just like the Greatest Hits, record company cash grab is what it is

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jan 4 2011, 10:36 AM)
1. They may not even come out this year since CA probably won't.

Why would CA not be coming out this year?

1) the new tour leg

2) Geddy said in an interview that because of the new tour leg, CA will only come out late this year or early next.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 4 2011, 10:42 AM)
Geddy said in an interview that because of the new tour leg, CA will only come out late this year or early next.

This is the reason why i wish they were Not doing another leg for this tour

The best time to release these reissues would be the end of 2011 BEFORE Clockwork Angels comes out, but even better than that would be to release them at different times throughout the year rather than all at once, similar to the Genesis boxsets.

First boxset could come out at the end of March right around the time of the beginning of the 2nd leg of the Time Machine tour and contain Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure.

Second boxset could be released at the end of July at the end of the tour and contain RUSH, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings.

Third boxset could come out in November and contain Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts.

The last boxset could come out around the time of Clockwork Angels in Spring 2012 and contain Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows, and Clockwork Angels (and also Feedback).

All of these albums would also be released individually and contain a CD/SACD hybrid with stereo, 5.1 surround and bonus tracks. The DVD could either be DVD-Audio or just DVD-Video depending on the amount of video extras on the DVD. Maybe also a CD/Blu-Ray disc combo.

I think it'd be best to release the box with Moving Pictures first to promote the tour (featuring Moving Pictures).

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 4 2011, 11:14 AM)
Rumour has it that Clockwork Angels will be released in November, followed by the Clockword Angels - Remastered Edition in December.

laugh.gif

Rush albums are property. They belong to Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. Like the owner of any work in any media they can offer it for sale when and how they prefer. If they are to keep their brand out there for each generation and potential new market they will (like many other bands) release new versions of a popular catalog to keep up with the latest technology.

Having said that I hope they will do something along the lines of U2's recent re-releases. Those cds were a joy to buy because you got one disc with the original album re-mastered and a second disc full of b-sides, out-takes and unreleased gems. Each came with a book and in the case of the latter albums, dvd concerts. If Rush would do something like that they would more than likely make most fans very happy...

...except for the original hardcore fans who are still hanging on to their vinyl as if it was the pinnacle of all music. beathorse.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 4 2011, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 4 2011, 10:17 AM)

The only "Demand" is for V.T. You don't call it a Cash Grab, everyone else does that i know . What do you call it when someone releases the same product over and over with nothing new on it and wants you to Buy it ? It is just like the Greatest Hits, record company cash grab is what it is

You're looking at this way too personally, products have different value to different people. I bought a Genesis greatest hits album 2 years ago that I love. It's exactly what I wanted. It's also probably the 10th greatest hits they've ever released (I don't know how many and don't care) but it's the only one I own and hardcore fans on Genesis boards were probably pissed off it was released too because they feel they own the band. Genesis didn't grab any money from me, I bought it because that's exactly what I wanted and it was available. The reason record companies release greatest hits over and over is because they sell because people want them. But not the kind of fans that spend their time on fan messageboards. They are simply not aimed at you. To say that the band releases something and "wants you to buy it" just shows that some hardcore fans think that everything should be specifically for them. They don't "want you to buy it" any more than Britney Spears wants you to buy her albums. It's like going to a hardware store after you've already bought a hammer and complaining that there are still hammers for sale that are no better than yours and they still "want you to buy it". You're simply projecting your needs and wants onto everybody else.

If they re-release the entire catalog without any extras or improved quality then I'll also only be buying VT. If the others have more of value added to them then I'll consider them otherwise I won't. But I guarantee you that regardless of the fact that you and your friends or myself may only want that one the sales of the Moving Pictures remaster will blow it out of the water because that's what casual fans want. And if for some reason none of them sell they won't ever release them again so it's self-correcting.

In the meantime let's just wait to see if this is even happening or what their plans are before we make a judgement.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 4 2011, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 4 2011, 02:27 PM)
it would be nice if they could give Presto some balls.

Then they'd have to record it again...

It's true you can only do so much but it sure seems to me that the Presto and RTB songs on Retrospective 3 are beefed up more than the actual remastered full albums. I think they had to balance the levels somewhat between those songs and the ones from more recent albums. Dreamline and Presto in particular sound noticeably thicker to me and it helps.

Archived