What concerts did you see this year?

Ultra

Family, funds and work kept me off the road this past year; only three shows on my list:

1. Styx - Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight @ Warner Theatre in Erie, PA - this show only edges Rush out by a wee, tiny little bit and probably because my tickets were front row and Po8 was and is one of my favorite albums. I listened to it endlessly when I was little and thru my college years. This show gave me a whole new respect for Lawrence Gowan as I never really cared for him before.

2. Rush - Time Machine Tour @ Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. What can you say, it was a monster show and it was a family event. My entire family was there that night!

3. Styx/Foreigner/Kansas @ Starlake outside of Pittsburgh. Don't really care for this venue, but it was Styx so how can I not go? This was the same setlist that they (Styx) has been doing for awhile now, but it's still a good show. Kelly Hansen is a great frontman for Foreigner, though I did miss Jason Bonham on the drums. Surprise of the night was Kansas, everyone knows their hits and I wasn't really concered with seeing them, but they were very good. Much more enjoyable than I anticipated.

Here's hoping for a better concert lineup for me in 2011!! trink39.gif

Saw a few gigs this year, but the stand out was Dinosaur Jr. in March, after missing out on the Beyond tour a couple of years ago.

It was the first gig I thought I was actually going to melt from the shredding coming from the right hand side of the stage. Was an awesome gig and left my ears ringing for a personal record of 3 days.

Jakob Dylan

Jerry Jeff Walker

John Hiatt

The Reverend Horton Heat

Richard Thompson

Soul Asylum (twice)

Rush

Atmosphere

Cloud Cult

The Jayhawks

Big Head Todd and The Monsters

Looking back; it's been a great concert going year. Lucky to live in a city with a venue like "1st Avenue."

In 2010, I saw Rush outdoors (Sarnia Bayfest) and then Rush indoors (Toronto Air Canada Center). I enjoyed the outdoors concert more even though I had to stand squished for the whole thing. We were closer in Sarnia, my insides felt the music, my ears took 2 days to recover, and it was my first time seeing Rush.

Muse - Oracle Arena

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival - Empire Polo Fields, Indio, California

LCD Soundsystem

MGMT

Rush

My Morning Jacket

FYF Fest

Muse

Beach House/Vampire Weekend

Pavement/Sonic Youth/No Age

Roger Waters

Roger Waters was easily the best show I saw this year. Absolutely incredible. Amazing. There are just no words to describe this show.

I guess I'll do a top 5.

1. State Radio - Keene State College, Keene, NH, 02/06/10 - This is a no-brainer for me. 12th State Radio show I had been to at the time, and hands down my favorite. Great setlist, the band was on fire, and the show culminated (for me at least) in me being pulled up on stage to sing the final chorus of a song that the singer had blanked on the words for. It was one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me. An experience I will not soon forget.

2. State Radio/John Butler Trio - Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, MA, 06/18/10 - My second favorite State Radio show of all time. Perfect setlist, John Butler Trio absolutely KILLED IT in the opening co-headlining spot, beautiful summer day at a venue right on the water in Boston. I also came away with a drumstick, a pick, and a string from a smashed bass. Just a fantastic show. Don't worry, not all of these are State Radio.

3. 311 - Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA, 07/11/10 - I know there are some 311 fans around here. In what was really my first 311 show (I saw them last November, but I didn't know any of their stuff at the time and was only there because - surprise! - State Radio was opening), I couldn't have asked for a better time. The morning of the show, I got my sister's friend and I two tickets in the pit and we ended up getting front row. Towards the end of the set, they pulled out a rather obscure song that had become one of my favorites but I didn't expect to hear at all, which was just great. The band and the crowd fed off each other's energy all night which made for a killer show.

4. Primus - Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA, 10/10/10 - This was my first time seeing Primus, having really just discovered them earlier this year. Oh MAN did they put on a show. I feel as though I got better at bass just from seeing Les Claypool play in person. They opened with one of my (if not only) favorite of theirs, Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers, which set the tone for an amazing night. As soon as Les sang the last line of Tommy the Cat to finish it off, I was converted as a Primus fan forever.

5. Alice in Chains - Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME, 04/15/10 - This last spot was a tossup between this and another State Radio show, but I gave the edge to Alice on the fact that this was my first time seeing them and there were two other SR shows in the list. I didn't really know what to expect at this show, as I wasn't sure that I liked DuVall as a replacement for Layne, considering how heavily they leaned on Jerry's vocals for Black Gives Way To Blue. I was proved wrong. They absolutely killed it, playing all the songs I wanted to hear, with the last five (Acid Bubble/Angry Chair/Man in the Box/Would?/Rooster - last two were the encore) stealing the show. The crowd brought the perfect amount of roughness, and the night was topped off by getting to meet Jerry after by the buses. Brilliant show overall.

Other shows:

01/09/10 - Hot Stove Cool Music (State Radio, Tinted Windows, The Low Anthem, others) - House of Blues, Boston, MA

01/29/10 - State Radio - Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, RI

04/02/10 - Barefoot Truth - The Stone Church, Newmarket, NH

04/24/10 - State Radio - George Washington University, Washington DC

05/28/10 - Barefoot Truth - Iron Horse Music Hall, Northampton, MA

06/15/10 - State Radio/John Butler Trio - Central Park SummerStage, New York, NY

09/18/10 - State Radio - Emmanuel College, Boston, MA

10/09/10 - Barefoot Truth - The Venue, Portland, ME

11/27/10 - State Radio - State Theatre, Portland, ME

12/10/10 - 3rd Annual Calling All Crows Benefit Show (Lead singer of State Radio solo acoustic, Matt Embree (RX Bandits), The White Buffalo, Braddigan, and others) - House of Blues, Boston, MA

Overall a GREAT concert year for me.

This was a great year for concerts for me. I saw Rush, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Blondie, Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie. In order of favorites:

1. Rush - It was my first time seeing them, and I was completely blown away. I loved everything about the experience, except for the obnoxious drunk guy sitting next to us. But everything else was amazing. The band put on an excellent show, and I loved the setlist, the venue, and being able to share the experience with my whole family. My mom has seen them maybe 12 times, and she said that this tour was the best.

2. Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie - This is a very close second to Rush, although I would have enjoyed it a lot more had it only been Alice Cooper. I didn't know any songs by Rob Zombie, and after seeing him, I don't like him any more than I did before. He put on a great show, but he's just a little too...heavy, I guess, for my taste. I was only going for Cooper anyway, apparently the opposite of many of the people there. It was my second time seeing him, and he was amazing both times, but it was even better this time because the whole floor was general admission and my friend and I ended up in the front row!

3. Aerosmith - My dad almost sold our tickets for Aerosmith, and I'm really glad he didn't. We had great seats, and the band was awesome. Lots of energy, and Steven Tyler sure is a fantastic showman. With all that's going on with them now, we're happy we saw them when we did.

4. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - This one was sort of last minute because I only found out about a week before that they would be coming to Chicago. We got tickets a couple days before the show relatively cheap, and the band was great. Even though I didn't know a lot of stuff from their latest album, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing it live. I cannot say that I was impressed with the opening band, however, the Drive-By Truckers. It was kind of disappointing sitting through them and knowing that later in the tour ZZ Top would be opening.

5. Blondie - Blondie is at the bottom of my list, because even though they were really good, we were expecting Cheap Trick too. We saw them at the state fair, and it was raining pretty hard and there was quite a bit of lightning. After Blondie was done they announced that Cheap Trick would still be performing as planned, and they kept saying that for maybe an hour and a half, until they finally canceled it. But at least we got our money back and got to see Blondie for free.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Dec 26 2010, 02:44 AM)
Roger Waters was easily the best show I saw this year.  Absolutely incredible. Amazing. There are just no words to describe this show.

Want to see Roger Waters so bad and I'm pretty sure this will be my only chance. Convinced myself it was too expensive. Think I may have to reconsider....

Mine in no particular order:

- Robert Plant and the Band of Joy -HMV Forum, London.

Seeing THE man up close and personal playing a mixture of 'new' material and some spiced up Zeppelin stuff was wonderful.

- Status Quo - Corn Exchange, Cambridge. Of the 5 times I saw Quo this year this has to be my favourite. The guys were excellent, great crowd and being hit over the head with a plectrum from Rick Parfitt! Brilliant!

- The Union - Clwb Ifor Bach - Cardiff. Teeny venue to see one of my favourite bands with some great people. Lovely stuff.

The only concert I saw this year was the only one I needed to see. Porcupine Tree. Front row with my son for his 13th birthday. Absolutely life-altering show, and one I waited four years to see. It was priceless to be there with my son and fellow PT-head. smile.gif

It was a light year for me. I saw Roger Waters, Rush and Porcupine Tree.

I have to say, it's tough for me to choose the best one. The RW show was absolutely spectacular. Rush was, as always, very entertaining. PT at RCMH was completely awesome, and a show that many PT fans who couldn't make the show wish they did.

2010 concerts

3/27 Stone Temple Pilots: Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL

7/3 RUSH: Marcus Ampitheatre, Milwaukee, WI

7/5 RUSH: Charter One Pavillion, Chicago, IL

8/21 Scorpions/MSG: Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, IL

8/23 RUSH: Charter One Pavillion, Chicago, IL

10/3 Allan Holdsworth: Marytrs, Chicago, IL

Archived