Ledger/Joker rumors swirl around new Batman

Presto-digitation

As production ramps up, so are new rumors that The Joker may actually be making an appearance in The Dark Knight Rises via this old footage and a little CGI manipulation. Director Christopher Nolan is keeping mum about this potential spoiler, and he refused to comment on this particular subject in a recent interview. Around the time of The Dark Knight's release, Nolan insisted that Heath Ledger wouldn't be making an appearance in the final chapter of his Batman trilogy, CGI or not. Maybe it was too close to the death of Ledger at the time of that decision, or Nolan simply wanted to keep it a secret and make it a surprise for the fans.

Now, sources close to the production team responsible for creating Clu 2.0 in Tron: Legacy, which enabled Jeff Bridges to play a younger version of himself, are saying that The Dark Knight Rises will pay a fitting tribute to Ledger's Oscar winning performance utilizing a mix of excised footage and new motion capture technology employing a look-a-like double. Don't expect a long exchange between Batman and the Joker, though. Heath Ledger's screen time might be on par with Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator Salvation cameo, which was completely animated and only lasted for a few minutes.

Showbiz Spy has new information on this old story, which has made many fans frown in the past. Their source states, "The idea is to use these fragments of cut scenes and use CGI to have The Joker appear one last time. Chris wants some continuity between movies and for the franchise to pay tribute to Heath and his portrayal of the Joker. It would only be a fleeting moment in the movie and would only be included with the full consent of Heath's family."

If they do this, I assume Nolan will do it only if the Joker's integration is absolutely seamless. Remember when Oliver Reed died while filming "Gladiator," and they had to CG him into a few important scenes? The effect was less than convincing. But that was 10 years ago...technology has advanced considerably since then. I trust Nolan to do the right thing here.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:24 PM)
If they do this, I assume Nolan will do it only if the Joker's integration is absolutely seamless. Remember when Oliver Reed died while filming "Gladiator," and they had to CG him into a few important scenes? The effect was less than convincing. But that was 10 years ago...technology has advanced considerably since then. I trust Nolan to do the right thing here.

Or The Sopranos with Nancy Marchand! It looked so bad.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 30 2010, 05:28 PM)

Oh wow, I remember that. Terrible!

Same here.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:32 PM)

Of course the worst example is Game of Death after Bruce Lee died:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/dyd/GameOfDeath_still3.jpg

Ledger was too good at playing the Joker. I seriously doubt that CGI would be able to even come close to looking good. Those kind of natural facial expressions can't be duplicated realistically as far as I am concerned and there's a good chance that no matter how far technology advances, they will never be able to duplicate great acting like that in CGI.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 1 2010, 04:36 PM)
DEBUNKED!

That's good! The Joker died at the end and it is best off to leave it like that, since Ledger is no longer with us. I think it would have been rather tasteless to try to bring him back in CGI form! Let's remember him for the great role that he played, not some computer generated role that would tarnish it!

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Dec 2 2010, 12:13 PM)
DEBUNKED!

That's good! The Joker died at the end and it is best off to leave it like that, since Ledger is no longer with us. I think it would have been rather tasteless to try to bring him back in CGI form! Let's remember him for the great role that he played, not some computer generated role that would tarnish it!

The Joker died? I remember him hanging there upside down laughing maniacally with the cops coming in and Batman leaving to confront Dent/Two Face. Two Face died (we assume) after falling from that building.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 2 2010, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Dec 2 2010, 12:13 PM)
DEBUNKED!

The Joker died? I remember him hanging there upside down laughing maniacally with the cops coming in and Batman leaving to confront Dent/Two Face. Two Face died (we assume) after falling from that building.

Everything in that scene implied The Joker did not die.

"I think you and I are destined to do this forever..."

Alright, I remember now! All those drugs that I took when I was younger are catching up to me now! I just remembered him falling. I forgot about the hanging part. In that case, if they were to bring the Joker back, I'd prefer a different actor over CGI, but it doesn't matter now because it looks like he won't return.

yeah...that one was just creepy and weird...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2010, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 30 2010, 05:19 PM)
I always thought the ending of the third movie should be the exact same as the first movie - simply flip the Joker's card over, implying he's back.

A cool idea.

It's a GREAT idea!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Nov 30 2010, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:32 PM)

Of course the worst example is Game of Death after Bruce Lee died:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/dyd/GameOfDeath_still3.jpg

Or John Candy in Wagons East!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 30 2010, 10:19 PM)
I always thought the ending of the third movie should be the exact same as the first movie - simply flip the Joker's card over, implying he's back.

Interesting thought.

It should be illegal to use dead actors in that kind of way - CGI manipulation, even old footage. I can't think of anything in worse taste (relatively speaking) than "casting" a dead actor to play a role in a movie he/she never signed on for. Honestly, there should be a law.