Farewell Kersh.

Jack Aubrey

Sad news, folks. Irvin Kershner, director of the iconic Star Wars movie The Empire Strikes Back has passed away. He was 87. I plan to watch Empire tonight in his honor.

'Empire Strikes Back' Director Irvin Kershner Dies
By Zach Dionne  Posted Nov 29th 2010 10:41AM

'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back' director Irvin Kershner has died in Los Angeles at age 87, the Agence France-Presse reports. Goddaughter Adriana Santini said Kershner had faced an illness for some time.

In addition to directing what many regard as the pinnacle of the 'Star Wars' saga, Kershner helmed 'Never Say Never Again' and 'Robocop 2.'

The onetime George Lucas collaborator taught courses in film and photography at the University of Southern California. In an interview later in his life, Kershner spoke of teaching Lucas in the 1960s. "Even then, I could see that he was a very special student," Kershner said. "Not that he had a great eye, but he had vision."

Kershner was born in Philadelphia in 1923; he was a musician and photographer before delving into documentary and eventually feature filmmaking.

Reflecting on the 30-year legacy of 'Empire Strikes Back' in October, Kershner told Vanity Fair: "I think the critics felt that they were going to see an extension of 'Star Wars.' In other words, they wanted another 'Star Wars.' I decided that the potential was much greater than a rerun of 'Star Wars.' When I finally accepted the assignment, I knew that it was going to be a dark film, with more depth to the characters than in the first film. It took a few years for the critics to catch up with the film and to see it as a fairy tale rather than a comic book."

Kershner also famously turned down 'Return of the Jedi,' telling VF, "After working for two years and nine months doing 'Empire,' and having it take so much out of my life and having given me so much, I felt that it was a complete experience and it was time to move on."

One specific legacy of Kershner's, embedded within 'Empire Strikes Back,' is Han Solo's legendary "I know" response to Princess Leia's "I love you." The script called for Harrison Ford to reply with a simple "I love you, too," but Kershner's gut said otherwise.

"I shot the line and it just didn't seem right for the character of Han Solo. We were into the lunch break and I said to Harrison try it again and just do whatever comes to mind. That is when Harrison said the line, 'I know.' After the take, I said to my assistant director, David Tomblin, 'It's a wrap,'" Kershner told Vanity Fair. "George [Lucas] saw the first cut and said, 'Wait a minute, wait a minute. That's not the line in the script.' I said, 'I love you, too was not Han Solo.' Han Solo was a rebel. George felt that the audience would laugh. And I said, 'That's wonderful, he is probably going to his death for all they know.'"

Despite Lucas' initial dismay at Kershner's interpretation, audience tests proved the line a hit, and Kershner ultimately admits, "George was the best producer I ever worked with."

One specific legacy of Kershner's, embedded within 'Empire Strikes Back,' is Han Solo's legendary "I know" response to Princess Leia's "I love you." The script called for Harrison Ford to reply with a simple "I love you, too," but Kershner's gut said otherwise.

"I shot the line and it just didn't seem right for the character of Han Solo. We were into the lunch break and I said to Harrison try it again and just do whatever comes to mind. That is when Harrison said the line, 'I know.' After the take, I said to my assistant director, David Tomblin, 'It's a wrap,'" Kershner told Vanity Fair. "George [Lucas] saw the first cut and said, 'Wait a minute, wait a minute. That's not the line in the script.' I said, 'I love you, too was not Han Solo.' Han Solo was a rebel. George felt that the audience would laugh. And I said, 'That's wonderful, he is probably going to his death for all they know.'"

Despite Lucas' initial dismay at Kershner's interpretation, audience tests proved the line a hit, and Kershner ultimately admits, "George was the best producer I ever worked with."

This is why "Empire" was the best film in the series -- because it didn't have George in the director's chair making dumb sappy decisions. Kershner knew these characters better than George did.

RIP, Kersh.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 29 2010, 01:37 PM)

This is why "Empire" was the best film in the series -- because it didn't have George in the director's chair making dumb sappy decisions. Kershner knew these characters better than George did.

RIP, Kersh.

He knew actors better for sure. That made the difference....the time he took to work with them.

RIP Kersh. YOU made Empire the best of the six SW films. Congrats sir. You'll always be fondly remembered.

I just re-watched the Empire of Dreams documentary, which contains a lot of Kirchner moments. Good stuff.

Very sad news. sad.gif

I have been reading Making of the Empire Strikes Back (pricey but highly recommended), and Kershner's contribution to Empire just can't be overstated. There is an INCREDIBLE transcript in the book of the filming of the carbon-freezing scene, recorded when Kershner was wearing a wireless mic that day on set. You get all the details of the difficulty they went through to film that scene, including a spat between Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. tongue.gif You can really see Kershner's brilliance at dealing with the actors' egos and improving some of the key moments and dialogue.

I just wish that Kershner had chosen to direct Jedi. sad.gif He could have certainly improved the script (another reason he turned down Jedi), and would have likely kept the dark tone of Empire rather than getting too cute.

Very, very sad news. RIP. rose.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Nov 29 2010, 06:44 PM)
Very sad news. sad.gif

I have been reading Making of the Empire Strikes Back (pricey but highly recommended), and Kershner's contribution to Empire just can't be overstated. There is an INCREDIBLE transcript in the book of the filming of the carbon-freezing scene, recorded when Kershner was wearing a wireless mic that day on set. You get all the details of the difficulty they went through to film that scene, including a spat between Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. tongue.gif You can really see Kershner's brilliance at dealing with the actors' egos and improving some of the key moments and dialogue.

I just wish that Kershner had chosen to direct Jedi. sad.gif He could have certainly improved the script (another reason he turned down Jedi), and would have likely kept the dark tone of Empire rather than getting too cute.

I'd never heard Kersh was a consideration for Jedi. I know that he and Lucas had their run-ins on it going over budget on Empire...and that Steven Speilberg was Lucas's choice for Jedi. Problem with any of them was Lucas resigning from the Director's Guild, which then made both of them an impossibility at that point. But I'd not heard that Kersh was being considered. Is that confirmed in the book?

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Nov 30 2010, 12:25 PM)
And I'd read the script of Jedi - not the whole script, but a scaled-down version - and I didn't believe it.

Ewoks...we couldn't believe it either Kersh. Having an actual adult involved with the making of these movies would have been awesome.

Lucas held a TIGHT leash on Jedi. Both Ford and writer Kasdan wanted Solo to die...Lucas said "no." (BIG mistake IMO....would've seriously amped up the drama and sense that things might NOT end well, even if they ultimately do). Lucas was all over director Richard Marquand too. He might as well have just done it himself, as "involved" as he was. This was a direct reaction to feeling he'd lost control of Empire. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 30 2010, 05:10 PM)
If I learned one thing in my life, it's that George Lucas is a terrible film director.

I don't know. Even if you don't like the prequels (fair enough) there's still both Star Wars and American Graffiti. Both of those films are beloved and impecably paced. Additionally he was nominated for Best Director for each (in addition to writing nominations as well), so I don't think in 1977 he was considered "terrible" by ANY standard...by fans or peers alike. Quite the contrary, actually. I can think of more consistent directors (granted) who have yet to be nominated for anything.

So even if it's all just past tense at this point, if ALL you ever did that was worth a damn was direct the first Star Wars film and American Graffiti, you hardly sucked.

Just my two cents.

It's the prequels and his lousy production jobs (Indy aside) that color our memory of his very solid early work. I'll even venture to say that if Lucas had pulled a Randy Rhodes and died after his first few films, he'd be in the PANTHEON of great directors, even though it was only a couple/few films. Again, much like Randy REALLY only has two albums on which to be judged...but it doesn't stop people from labeling him nothing short of a guitar genius.

Still, none of Lucas's later questionable choices erases his greatest work I'm afraid. Nor should it.

It's a bit like Eddie Van Halen, who's done nothing at all really worth a shit in at least 15 years...and only then if you actually like Balance. Closer to 20 years if you go beyond that...and maybe as many as 26 years if you don't like any Hagar era material. But there's still that legacy...even if it's nothing new or recent.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2010, 05:20 PM)
If I learned one thing in my life, it's that George Lucas is a terrible film director.

I don't know. Even if you don't like the prequels (fair enough) there's still both Star Wars and American Graffiti. Both of those films are beloved and impecably paced. Additionally he was nominated for Best Director for each (in addition to writing nominations as well), so I don't think in 1977 he was considered "terrible" by ANY standard...by fans or peers alike. Quite the contrary, actually. I can think of more consistent directors (granted) who have yet to be nominated for anything.

So even if it's all just past tense at this point, if ALL you ever did that was worth a damn was direct the first Star Wars film and American Graffiti, you hardly sucked.

Just my two cents.

It's the prequels and his lousy production jobs (Indy aside) that color our memory of his very solid early work. I'll even venture to say that if Lucas had pulled a Randy Rhodes and died after his first few films, he'd be in the PANTHEON of great directors, even though it was only a couple/few films.

Still, none of Lucas's later questionable choices erases his greatest work I'm afraid. Nor should it.

I'll give you American Graffiti and Star Wars, but that's it!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 30 2010, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 30 2010, 05:20 PM)

Just my two cents.

It's the prequels and his lousy production jobs (Indy aside) that color our memory of his very solid early work. I'll even venture to say that if Lucas had pulled a Randy Rhodes and died after his first few films, he'd be in the PANTHEON of great directors, even though it was only a couple/few films.

I'll give you American Graffiti and Star Wars, but that's it!

Well really...if the average director's resume consisted of these things it would be a godsend. Plus his advances in movie technlogies as well.

He's made his share of clunkers, but his good stuff is completely outstanding and he essentially revolutionized audio-visual technology for the film industry.

That alone gets him on many great short lists. Problem is we tend to remember "what have you done lately" over "what good did he actually do?"

I like the prequels so that's not such a time suck for me, but I understand that they're not everyone's sense of accomplishment.