The Walking Dead

vital signz

I don't read the comics but I have read that in the comics, Negan really becomes the focal character. It's like they recognized that the Rick story line had gone as far as it could and they needed a new strongman to come in, one that you are initially supposed to hate but eventually you will grow to love. Could Rick be relegated to a minor character roll? Is that where this is headed?

I haven't been interested in TWD for quite some time but my wife watches it and she had me watch the finale of last season along with the episode from last night. It reminded me why I've grown to hate the show.

If Negan is to become the main character, then the show has some really twisted morals that I can't relate to. As it currently is, last night's episode wasn't anything new IMO. Rick & Co. have once again been brought to their knees (literally this time) by a ruthless group of rival survivors where they lose one (or two) of their own. It reminds me of Days of Our Lives in that you can skip a season or two and nothing has changed. The group doesn't progress, they don't learn from their mistakes and the show continues to kill off characters that make it interesting. I used to think the show was about hope but now I think it's just a gratuitously gory soap opera.

Glenn's death was both pointless and gruesome to the point of being completely superfluous. All to provide added shock factor as the show continues to jump the shark.

I know that this is a thread populated by fans of the show, and at one time I used to be one of them. For those who like the show, carry on and ignore my posts.

I don't think the show was ever about hope. I think it is trying to demonstrate to some degree that If the world suffered a real apocalypse, that the worst parts of humanity would flourish. In fact, ruthlessness would be required to survive.

The gore really doesn't look any different than what you would see in video footage from any modern war.

The other thing I think that makes this different is that, this new group will not be one that Rick and his crew rise up and conquer. This is not like any groups they have encountered in the past. I think the show has taken a serious left turn and if you don't watch again for 2 seasons you might return and find that everything has changed.

Yep, you get what's going on with this show.

Negan is just not another threat like The Governor, the Termites or some other random bad guy who has crossed paths with Rick before. None of them have ever humbled, terrified and broken down the will of Rick and the entire group like this before. This isn't one season and done for Negan. He's gonna be around for a while. This isn't something Rick is gonna overcome by the end of the season. He's finally meet his match in Negan and things are going to be much different now.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I don't read the comics but I have read that in the comics, Negan really becomes the focal character. It's like they recognized that the Rick story line had gone as far as it could and they needed a new strongman to come in, one that you are initially supposed to hate but eventually you will grow to love. Could Rick be relegated to a minor character roll? Is that where this is headed?

No, no, and no.

I do think the show is getting itself into trouble. I read comic episode #100 and they took Negan way farther last night then they did in the comics. They have quite a task on their hands in trying to make him likable.

Unless the plan is to have Rick eventually beat Negan's group and kill Negan but then the story is stale and repetitive and boring.

They on Issue 158 now. I lot has happened, and Rick is still the central character, and always was.

I do think the show is getting itself into trouble. I read comic episode #100 and they took Negan way farther last night then they did in the comics. They have quite a task on their hands in trying to make him likable.

Unless the plan is to have Rick eventually beat Negan's group and kill Negan but then the story is stale and repetitive and boring.

They on Issue 158 now. I lot has happened, and Rick is still the central character, and always was.

I see.

It will be interesting to see if they can keep the plot from getting stale.

I see.

It will be interesting to see if they can keep the plot from getting stale.

If they follow the general plot of the comics, it should be good.

And I agree, Negan will be around for a couple of seasons, at least.

Might be a good way to end the series with a final showdown between Rick and Negan.

I don't see that happening until the end of season eight at the earliest. They could probably stretch that out and save it for a ninth season though since the show lives off of the slow build.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'm usually a horror fan, but I couldn't even get through the 1st season of this show. I stopped watching after the 4th episode. I just couldn't get into the story or any of the characters.

Dwight is the key in future Seasons. Pay close attention to Dwight.

Remember they are on Comic Book # 100 on TV.....In the comics they are on issue #158

Negan, Rick and Dwight are all still alive and going strong. THEY ARE the main players ...THAT is what appeals to me

Have they discussed how many seasons they will do?

I know it's been renewed for an eighth season. I can see it going a bit longer than that. They still have stuff they can use from the comics and as long as people are still watching, they'll probably keep it going until Kirkman decides to end it.

Since the show doesn't follow the comic 100% (as it shouldn't), it can do whatever it likes. And it already has. Darryl doesn't even exist in the comics, Carol died ages ago, etc.

I don't see Rick being relegated to a second tier character to make way for Negan as it was mentioned by someone earlier. But I do imagine Negan staying alive past this season. He's too popular now...after just two episodes. <----- That's my main reason for thinking he'll stay alive and not because of what already went down in the comics.

• Like 1

Well that was excessive ... damn.

What was excessive?

Rick's group murdering 20 of Negan's men while they slept was not excessive?

Oh wait, you forgot about that ambush didn't you??

What was excessive?

They're all murderous bastards! Baby Judith probably killed multiple folks already. I'm rooting for the zombies! :blaze:

• Like 1

What was excessive?

I remember that. It's the reason Negan was justified in what he did.

• Like 1

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Jeffrey Dean Morgan's channeling of Watchmen's Comedian into Negan? It's beyond channeling. They're nearly identical. Not the two characters, but the way JDM portrayed them. And from that, why has Negan's portrayal been praised yet The Comedian hasn't?

I'm not commenting on the quality of Watchmen, just JDM's portrayal of Comedian and Negan.

• Like 1

Can someone please cut that sweaty overrated POS Daryl's hair???

I hope Negan gives him a buzzcut. That will show that punk.

For the record: I am ALL in on Negan and the Saviors. I now want ALL the original people dead...

• Like 1

I think the show is starting to lose me.

Two episodes of "who the hell cares" and if I was supposed to learn something in them, then I must have missed it.

Both episodes served their purpose though. Last week was to introduce the new community, Ezekiel and show us what happened with Morgan and Carol. It also provided a bit levity after how heavy the season premiere. This week was about Negan trying to break down Daryl and to show us how Negan runs his community. It's really not that hard to figure out what they were doing with each episode.

Now, I really don't care about Dwight. Even after the telling of a bit of his backstory last night, I never cared about the guy since he first showed up and I doubt I ever will. The scenes with Negan was the best thing about it. We need more focus on him from now on.

Can someone please cut that sweaty overrated POS Daryl's hair???

I hope Negan gives him a buzzcut. That will show that punk.

For the record: I am ALL in on Negan and the Saviors. I now want ALL the original people dead...

ALL won't be killed off. Really though from season 1 the only ones left are Rick, Carl, Carol, and the sweaty POS that you like. :LOL:

I want a cameo role for myself in which I shoot Carl in the face. I'd be fine with Rick beating me to a pulp or Michonne gutting me afterwards. At least Carl would be gone once and for all.

• Like 1

I think the show is starting to lose me.

Two episodes of "who the hell cares" and if I was supposed to learn something in them, then I must have missed it.

Both episodes served their purpose though. Last week was to introduce the new community, Ezekiel and show us what happened with Morgan and Carol. It also provided a bit levity after how heavy the season premiere. This week was about Negan trying to break down Daryl and to show us how Negan runs his community. It's really not that hard to figure out what they were doing with each episode.

Now, I really don't care about Dwight. Even after the telling of a bit of his backstory last night, I never cared about the guy since he first showed up and I doubt I ever will. The scenes with Negan was the best thing about it. We need more focus on him from now on.

Yeah but it was f***ing boring!

I couldn't wait for last nights episode to be over.

Bleh.