Neil's Pre-Rush Band - JR Flood

thebigguyconnor

After watching the Rush Doc., and seeing the home video footage of rush's pre-Rush band with neil playing, I wondered where I could listen to some tracks by JR Flood. Are there any floating around?

You would think that someone somewhere has some recorded music by JR Flood, but I don't know of anyone. Seems to me that if a Rush fan was sitting on some Flood recording(s), they would've leaked to the Net by now, and would've found their way to MitA's website. But this hasn't happened.

There is a documentary that came out last year about the history of the 1964 - 1974 Niagara rock music scene called 'The Big Story Of Small Potatoes'.

The film makes reference to several bands that Neil played in which includes JR Flood - which has their song 'Giant Killer' (which Neil played on) that is included on the soundtrack. This is confirmed by director Paul Miil. While it's not the entire song, it is enough to get an idea of what their sound was like.

Neil was not interviewed for the documentary.

Paul Miil commented on Rushisaband that Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen approached him for some Neil related footage from way back then.

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 15 2010, 08:18 AM)
You would think that someone somewhere has some recorded music by JR Flood, but I don't know of anyone. Seems to me that if a Rush fan was sitting on some Flood recording(s), they would've leaked to the Net by now, and would've found their way to MitA's website. But this hasn't happened.

You would think so but it's still astonishing to me that they played who knows how many hundreds of gigs with Rutsey for 6 years (admittedly small) and there is not one single bootleg that I'm aware of with them playing together. And I'm a collector. The first bootleg listed on the DRE is from 8/14/74.

I'm still just shocked to be able to hear (and watch!) Rush play live with Rutsey on the new doc. How in the hell had none of that ever leaked after all this time?

Yeah, it's all pretty crazy! Rush should definitely do an archives video release, including some stuff like the video of the concert with them in 1978 (see this for just one song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXFCckOLxQ), the whole pinkpop 1979 performance (hopefully the whole thing was taped, not just la villa), and more video that we probably don't even know about like songs that were cut from Exit stage left and Rush Replay ETC.

That footage with rutsey is priceless. It is just so awesome to see the guys having fun like that.

Anyways, rush DOES give us a lot more than other bands, like heck we have like 5 different official concert videos available from them, other bands only have one or two! But I'll always take another release!

Neil most likely has the stuff from JR Flood in his basement rotting away tongue.gif.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 15 2010, 07:18 AM)

Yeah, you would think if anything was available it'd be out there by now.

I have to say that the little clip they played in the documentary sounded amazing. I can only hope that something does surface at some point...

Perhaps TRF members should start a petition calling for the reformation of JR Flood........including the one and only N. Peart.

QUOTE (thebigguyconnor @ Oct 15 2010, 11:31 AM)
Yeah, it's all pretty crazy! Rush should definitely do an archives video release, including some stuff like the video of the concert with them in 1978 (see this for just one song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXFCckOLxQ)

Sorry, but that footage of "Circumstances" isn't from a full "concert". They filmed themselves playing live versions (in an empty hall) of the three "side 2" Hemispheres songs as promo videos for that album.

Now, that said.......there was some color live footage of the band performing "Finding My Way" in Beyond The Lighted Stage from a circa 1976/77 show that we'd never seen glimpses of before. Wouldn't THAT be great to get ahold of as a complete show?! Wonder what the story is behind that clip...

QUOTE (sdaly @ Oct 15 2010, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (thebigguyconnor @ Oct 15 2010, 11:31 AM)
Yeah, it's all pretty crazy!  Rush should definitely do an archives video release, including some stuff like the video of the concert with them in 1978 (see this for just one song from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXFCckOLxQ)

Sorry, but that footage of "Circumstances" isn't from a full "concert". They filmed themselves playing live versions (in an empty hall) of the three "side 2" Hemispheres songs as promo videos for that album.

Now, that said.......there was some color live footage of the band performing "Finding My Way" in Beyond The Lighted Stage from a circa 1976/77 show that we'd never seen glimpses of before. Wouldn't THAT be great to get ahold of as a complete show?! Wonder what the story is behind that clip...

That 1976ish is the one I'm fascinated by.

Yeah, I'm always surprised when people think those Hemispheres videos were from a live concert. I mean, isn't it obvious they were by themselves? At least they are actually playing in those, I've also actually seen people ask for the rest of the "concert" that the AFTK videos are from. Just amazing.

I'd also really like to know how long the complete show is with Rutsey and what songs are on it.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 15 2010, 04:37 PM)
Yeah, I'm always surprised when people think those Hemispheres videos were from a live concert. I mean, isn't it obvious they were by themselves? At least they are actually playing in those, I've also actually seen people ask for the rest of the "concert" that the AFTK videos are from. Just amazing.

Well thinking there was more from 1978 was an honest mistake, because I thought perhaps they played more confused13.gif. Heck, it's still awesome footage! It would be cool if we could get it in stereo, too.

I honestly done see how anyone could think the AFTK videos were actually live. It just TOO obvious that it's a lipsync, but I guess people are more gullible (or ignorant) than I thought they were!

I somehow missed that footage or whatever it is from 1977 you guys are talking about doh.gif. What part of the movie is it from?

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 15 2010, 10:59 AM)
I'm still just shocked to be able to hear (and watch!) Rush play live with Rutsey on the new doc. How in the hell had none of that ever leaked after all this time?

Because not even the band knew it existed! laugh.gif

The documentary filmmakers found that video in the basement at Anthem, in a strange format, with a "?" on it. They had to ship the tape overseas to get it dubbed into a useable format, and only THEN did they realize what they had: very old footage of the band, playing with Rutsey.

Yay brother!

http://www.kcsb.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/startrek_hippies.jpg

^^^^ Love this..... :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

i listened to that album last night. i can't believe it was uploaded to youtube so recently, i thought it for sure it would've been floating around the internet long before. but it's a pretty great album in my opinion, it sounds very similar to The Doors.
  • Like 1

Is that Peart asking for his headphones to be louder at about the 28:10 mark?

Certainly sounds like him - he had that deep voice even at that age

Yeah, I'd say it's him...judging from early footage/interviews with Neil (i.e. beginning of La Villa pinkpop video) and taking into account the slight pitch difference with age..It has to be.