Why did Tom Sawyer get a low result in our poll?

RSRD

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 10 2010, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (nealpert @ Sep 9 2010, 07:26 PM)
I could go my whole life and never hear TS again. I love the song but have heard it way too many times. I wish i could hear it again for the first time.

I was thinking about this when I was watching a few Rush specials on VH1 during Rush Hashana.

I don't think I could ever get tired of Tom Sawyer. Yeah, it's overplayed, and a lot of fantastic Rush songs get overlooked because of it, but it still blows me away every time. The song is completely magical - it almost takes me to another dimension with its brilliance...

Although the multitrack is really cool to listen to. The opening keyboard part is awesome to hear by itself.

I'll make the unpopular suggestion, but to me I've always said, I'd LOVE to see at least one show where they leave out the following songs:

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Closer To The Heart

Working Man

Limelight

Seriously, there are SO MANY other songs that I would easily rather see in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I really love all these songs. They are all classic and fantastic!

But...there are some really amazing and fantastic songs that have never been played live, or haven't been played in ages (or any shows from 2002 and on).

Oh, and don't worry people...I realize that it's not going to happen. Just sayin'. wink.gif

"Always hopeful yet discontent, he knows changes aren't permanent, but change is" are some of my very favorite Rush lyrics. While I have a number of more favorite songs, I still love this one - it's inseparable from growing up in the 80's for me. I'm glad I never got sick of it and can still enjoy it.

QUOTE (RSRD @ Sep 8 2010, 01:24 PM)
...I would definitely hold Tom Sawyer and Dog Years as the same...

^ awesome!

this admission means we can dismiss any of your further opinions unilaterally

(thanks for letting us know wink.gif )

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Sep 10 2010, 12:58 PM)
It's still a great song and I have not gotten tired of hearing it on cd or seeing them play it live.

+1

I love Tom Sawyer, but if I had to come up with my top 10 Rush songs, it would not be on the list. Songs like Earthshine, New World Man, One Little Victory, and Marathon and my all-time favourite, Subdivisions, would be on that list.

Rush has so many amazing songs that never get any airplay - I just don't get it. With all the great songs in their catalogue, I really don't know how they can come up with a setlist for their tours. I would love to hear so many more of them live, but the concerts are always too short!

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Sep 8 2010, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2010, 03:06 PM)
When push comes to shove, "Tom Sawyer" is the greatest single thing Rush ever recorded and released.

goodpost.gif

ReRushed is right...."Tom Sawyer" is the most recognized song by Rush by casual music fans. For most of them, TS is the only thing they know about Rush.

For example, a few days ago a co-worker and I were talking about music, and I mentioned that I was a big fan of Rush. He didn't have a clue who I was talking about.

Another co-worker heard our conversation and joined in. "Rush," he told the clueless one. "You know, Tom Sawyer." The clueless remembered the tune but not the band. "Oh, yeah. I know that song," he said.

The song is a monster! Great drumming, amazing vocals, and Alex's playing is perfect.

The intro sound is epic as well.

So many great tracks on MP, though.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 8 2010, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 8 2010, 11:06 AM)
To me Tom Sawyer is as great as every other Rush song.

every other Rush song? so you mean it's like right up there with Dog Years, Virtuality, Tai Shan, Face Up, etc.? confused13.gif tongue.gif

Dog Years is a freaking awesome song. One of Rushs best. I would definitely hold Tom Sawyer and Dog Years as the same. Now the Pass?? thats a different story. The Pass in its entirety doesnt hold a candle to the opening line of Tom Sawyer.

You opinion is invalid. The Pass is a GREAT song, Musically, AND LYRICALLY.

The same could NOT be said for Dog Years, musically it's heavy, but the lyrics just suck.

every other Rush song? so you mean it's like right up there with Dog Years, Virtuality, Tai Shan, Face Up, etc.? confused13.gif tongue.gif

Dog Years is a freaking awesome song. One of Rushs best. I would definitely hold Tom Sawyer and Dog Years as the same. Now the Pass?? thats a different story. The Pass in its entirety doesnt hold a candle to the opening line of Tom Sawyer.

cool10.gif

No offense, but The Pass is one of the best and most meaningful songs RUSH has ever done.

How can you have a problem with a song about convincing teens, or anyone for that matter, not to commit suicide?

And it's an amazing song not just lyrically, but musically.

Wow.

I personally think that the reason RUSH fans don't rate it as highly as it may deserve is simply radio play. Also, the notion that most people who don't know RUSH know Tom Sawyer so it's taken on a, "well if your favorite song is Tom Saywer then you don't really know RUSH" mystique. I don't agree with that because If I had never heard any RUSH songs, as at one time I didn't, and I heard Tom Sawyer, I would love it, which I did. But that and say Limelight and Spirit of Radio, all amazing songs, get looked down at by RUSH fans simply because of that fact. That doesn't mean they aren't great. I bet if those songs did not have the popularity among the masses, that alot of RUSH fans who don't rate it as highly would say it was the best if not one of the best.

As a hardcore, love every album, even Caress of Steel, Presto and Vapor Trails and xxxxx (add in whatever album you think RUSH fans seem to put at the bottom of the list) I love Tom Sawyer. But if you asked me if I'd rather hear them play Tom Sawyer or say, Xanadu or Natural Science, I might want them to play one of those instead.

All that being said, there is nothing better than when you happen to turn on the radio in your car, and all of a sudden there is Tom Sawyer! As far as a perfect song from beginning to end, it has to be ranked in the top 5. But then again, everyone likes different eras of RUSH and think one is better than the other. I personally, and I know people will start the "Dog Years" is not great nonsense but I really truly like every album and every song and I think we as fans are so fortunate to have a favorite band that has so many different sounding albums and styles of music to listen to. That doesn't mean that every I think every song is great, but when I haven't heard Tai Shan in a while, I enjoy it and think it has merit.

Of course if someone put a gun to my head and had me rank them, I would, but I honestly couldn't say right now what I'd put as my least favorites. But that's just me.

There is my 20 cents.