Who agrees that there are too many strobes?

fonzbear2000

I have a bad case of Epilepsy I live with every day, including the problem with strobes and or flashing lights. Either the light show wasn't enough to brother me or I was too interested in the show but I didn't have any seizure or light problems the last time I saw them here in Vegas. I was probably more focused in on the band rather than the light show.

QUOTE (Nim2 @ Aug 30 2010, 10:08 AM)
You got your wish in Columbus.

The strobes were toned down a lot for the indoor show.

Didn't miss them one bit.

That's good. Hopefully if they do an indoor arena tour after CW comes out, they'll tone them down then as well.

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Aug 29 2010, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Aug 28 2010, 05:09 PM)
They're only using strobes on ONE song and someone's complaining about it?!

There were strobes at some point on at LEAST half of the songs.

You are critical of how often Howard used strobes, but also appear to have an aversion to them yourself which if so could influence your impression. You like the LEDs, which are an opposite sort of idea from the strobes. I have had some experience doing lights for bands and have met people who did not like:

fog

strobes

pink

red

orange

magenta

yellow

green

cyan

no color ("white")

so from that position if I tried to satisfy of them, what would be left to work with?

Thinking from your position maybe he did overuse strobes, and if so you have appeared to be interested in why that may have been the case. One reason that comes to mind is that strobes look different on video than they do live, so he may have used that show and others during that period of the tour to see how they would look on the video at different points in the show, before they did the actual recording. Or maybe it had nothing to do with the vid but instead he was experimenting with how they would look live at different points in the show. Or maybe he accidentally overused them fairly early during the show you went to giving you the overuse impression to begin with, so every time he used them from that point on it seemed like overuse to you even if most of it really was not. Or...?

I was in the first row last night in Syracuse and I didn't have problem with the strobes. In fact they didn't even use them that often. Vital Signs had them and just a couple other songs had brief strobes in them. That was it.

My advice to you is next time you go to a concert and you don't want the strobes or lighting to bother you, just wear a hat. Pull it down as low as possible so it shelters your eyes and it'll block out some of lights from bothering you.

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Sep 3 2010, 09:39 PM)
A couple other songs? I saw strobes used in parts of at LEAST half of the songs played. Watch some of the video bootlegs from the tour and you'll see that I'm correct.

Why do I have to look at the live boots? I've seen them twice this tour. The first time I was about half way back and the second was from the front row. What exactly are the boots gonna show me that I didn't see at all? I don't know what else I can tell you about it confused13.gif

I've seen shows that have had excessive strobes and this tour is deffinitley not one of them.

A lot of time machine smoke or steam or whatever, things blowing up and on fire - and Neil is in the middle of all of it - poor lamb! Like PigPen in a cloud of dirt -

unsure.gif Hey, Where'd Neil go?

you pyro people better know what you're doing, dammitt!!!

QUOTE (RushNut @ Sep 2 2010, 01:34 PM)
Loved the lights this tour...didn't really miss the lasers at all.

It seems they were always putting the lasers in the same songs tour after tour and most fans had seen pretty much the same things over and over.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Aug 29 2010, 11:24 PM)
I have a bad case of Epilepsy I live with every day, including the problem with strobes and or flashing lights. Either the light show wasn't enough to brother me or I was too interested in the show but I didn't have any seizure or light problems the last time I saw them here in Vegas. I was probably more focused in on the band rather than the light show.

I've often wondered how you handle concerts and the like. Glad to hear you were seizure-free.

Seen the vids of the new lighting rig on Youtube and its still a monster just like S&A was. But the lights don't appear all that blinding to me and I was sitting in the first 15 rows of the stage during a 2007 show. Maybe its the nature of the bulbs they're using? I'm not sure.

I remember having to wear sunglasses to Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, 10 years ago to Nissan Pavilion (now Jiffy Lube). The lights were right in my face even in front row and they had as basic lighting rig as you could imagine.