Neil and Headphones

tcbroonsie

Not fact, but speculation.

Wearing IEM's raises the risk of infection, as the natural exit for bacteria is blocked. If infection does occur, wearing IEM's is really uncomfortable [i say from experience] and I don't suppose it helps that you are blocking the infection in.

I doubt greatly that his IEM's have broken, they have spares of these things.

No no no...you guys are all wrong...he wears them because he is so bad-ass, that he can listen to OTHER peoples music, while playing HIS, at the same time! wink.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Aug 22 2010, 10:00 AM)
No no no...you guys are all wrong...he wears them because he is so bad-ass, that he can listen to OTHER peoples music, while playing HIS, at the same time! wink.gif

tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

As per Gump's Myspace page...

"Feeling for the boss, who is dealing with an inner ear issue. Back on the cans for a while."

Edited by tascam

QUOTE (tascam @ Aug 23 2010, 02:59 PM)
As per Gump's Myspace page...

"Feeling for the boss, who is dealing with an inner ear issue. Back on the cans for a while."

Case closed

My initial guess was that when using in-ears he has too much ambient sound from the kit making it really hard to hear bass/guitar/keys/vocal cues at tolerable levels, so by going close-ear, he can hear infinitely better without killing himself. I've always thought in-ears worked great for vocals/in front of the kit, but behind the kit, it was easier to have wedge monitors or, in a great situation, closed-ear headphones to keep from blowing my head off...

...or, the gump just knows a helluva lot more about El Pearto than I do... lol...

Edited by crunch

I have seen hundreds of pictures from almost all of the shows Rush has played on this tour, and Neil wears the headphones for most of the show, not just for a few songs like he used to starting in 1982. I think he wears them to dampen the sound of the other instruments and the echo bouncing off the walls so that he can stay in perfect time with the other guys, and also for the more obvious reason. Because of the backing tapes and click track he has to listen to in order to stay in sequence with the other instruments. Keith Moon of the Who is the only other drummer I know of that used earphones in concert for quite a few years before he died in 1978, and he wore them to listen to the backing tape and click track of the song being played to stay in time with the rest of the band, because it is very hard to hear backing tapes live because of the volume of the other instruments. Nuff said.

He had them on at the show in Syracuse last thursday to. I've never thought much about it since he's done it in the past. I just figured it was just easier for him to hear himself and everything else with them.

Him listening to other people's music while playing his own is a very funny line though laugh.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (tcbroonsie @ Aug 21 2010, 05:25 PM)
I've read that Neil was wearing headphones during the show last night and also wore them for the previous 2 shows.

Does anybody know why he was wearing them instead of his IEM's?

Because someone stole his God-awful African hat for the good of all.

again... he has an inner ear infection and can't wear the regular ones. plus... he does not use a click track and hasn't in quite a few years. He rehearses longer than the rest of the guys to set the tempos before a tour and he adjusts to the vocal/keyboard/guitar samples as necessary.

Matt

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 21 2010, 05:47 PM)
The band were all having monitor issues at Monday's show... I don't know if that explains it though.

Maybe Neil wasn't feeling well. He didn't look particularly happy that night.

Well if u factor in the fact that he hates what he's doing, it becomes apparent.

Ooo, poor Neil. I have had chronic ear infections in the past and can certainly sypathise in not wanting to have something stuck in your ear for 3 hours per night!!! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (BellaCheval @ Sep 6 2010, 10:31 PM)
Ooo, poor Neil. I have had chronic ear infections in the past and can certainly sypathise in not wanting to have something stuck in your ear for 3 hours per night!!! ohmy.gif

Yeah - if you have an infection, and you stick an earplug (or in Neil's case, IEM) in your ear, the act of removing it later creates a suction effect that will have you on the ground from the pain.