Hardest Rush to get into.

PeWaves1979

I'm mainly asking this question as someone who is a fan, who has all their albums and will continue to pick up new albums as long as they're making them. I love many eras of this band. Even eras that peop seem to not like so much, but I can think of 3 albums that I have a hard time connecting with as a whole. FYI, I'm new to this board, so hopefully I don't upset anyone on my first thread here.

2.gif Really good hard rock release. But didn't feel like the Rush I know and love. "Working Man" is the song that stands out, but I don't quite get it as a Rush album.

Caress of Steel: They were starting to branch out here. A lot of good stuff, but it felt like a false start before getting it right with 2112.

Vapor Trails: 3 songs on this album I absolutely love. "One Little Victory", "Ghost Rider", and "Earthshine". However, as has been mentioned, the mastering really drove me nuts. Some things sound really good on that album, but they'd sound so much better if they sounded cleaner. And yes, I did have a much easier time with "Snakes & Arrows" and the "Caravan" Single than I did with VT.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently got a little more into "Rush" than I have been in the past. It's just far from their best, so it is pretty hard to get into for me, too. They're Finding their Way.

I also started to give Fly By Night a much deserved serious listen the past few days. I never realized how good it was. The same happened with Caress of Steel about a year ago.

2112 is what got me into them in the first place, and I loved A Farewell to Kings right away also. Hemispheres is hard to get into for me, for some reason. I like listening to it, but it's just not a favorite of mine.

Everything else I go through in phases, and I absolutely love it all.

Rush, All the World's a Stage, Exit... Stage Left, and Test For Echo. That's about it. Every other record, I had a really easy time jumping into and enjoying, even the other live albums. I honestly can't remember the last time I played All the World's a Stage, any of it.

I had the hardest time getting into Snakes and Arrows and Signals

It's totally rewarding to finally get into a classic. smile.gif

At first I couldn't listen to Power Windows, but I forced myself to like it last summer on vacation when I made myself listen to it over and over. Now it's one of my favs.

I have never really got into Counterparts. I listen to it now and again, but I really don't feel much for listening to it. I'll probably give it the PW treatment.

Roll the Bones is similar to Counterparts. At first it was pretty good, now it's hard to listen to. The songs are good, but they have something about 'em. Dreamline has always been a fan favorite, but it's been annoying to me. This one will get the treatment too.

Hardest Rush to get into., Which albums were hardest to take to?

Your post was worst then any Rush album i heard or read!!!

Oh, And Welcome to TRF biggrin.gif

Test For Echo.

I'm still not that in to it. Yeah sure I like Driven and Resist, and a couple tracks are ok, but it doesn't really gel with me.

I'm fine with listening to a random track off it (except Dog Years and Virtuality) but I can't sit and listen to it all at once.

It took me several years to understand the genius of Caress Of Steel and TFOL in particular. It wasn't until I got to college and was introduced to cool10.gif that it all became clear. As Geddy mentioned in the documentary, they were pretty high when they made that album.

It also took me some time getting used to GUP. I first heard Rush listening to ATWAS on a camping trip. I instantly fell in love (I think I was in 7th grade). A friend of mine at school's Dad had a few Rush albums so he made me a copy of GUP. I was so excited to get my first Rush album. When I played GUP for the first time, I thought, "What the hell is this? This can't possibly be the same band that made that fantastic ATWAS album." After a few listens, I began to enjoy it.

To this day I still can't get into GUP. I try every so often and I do love "Afterimage", but that's the only song I can listen to. The rest of the album sounds so dated and sterile to me.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jul 30 2010, 07:34 AM)
VT
Still not into it.

Same for me, i always feel that i am in the vapour when i listen to this cd... cool10.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 30 2010, 03:47 AM)
Caress of Steel. Besides Bastille Day and Lakeside Park, I thought the rest was 35 minutes of crap. I still do 062802puke_prv.gif

Hold Your Fire would be the album that's risen the most in my estimation since getting it. High Water especially has gone from the outhouse to the penthouse.

if you can get high water into the penthouse, can't you give the fountain of lamneth another try??

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 30 2010, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 30 2010, 03:47 AM)
Caress of Steel.  Besides Bastille Day and Lakeside Park, I thought the rest was 35 minutes of crap.  I still do  062802puke_prv.gif

Hold Your Fire would be the album that's risen the most in my estimation since getting it.  High Water especially has gone from the outhouse to the penthouse.

if you can get high water into the penthouse, can't you give the fountain of lamneth another try??

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jul 30 2010, 08:34 AM)
VT
Still not into it.

yes.gif

I heard it, originally gave the album a B-. I thought it would grow on me.

It hasn't yet. Though certain songs on there are among my favorites.

Perhaps if I understood the lyrics better I might be able to get into it more.

T4E, VT, and S&A. Actually anything in the 90's and 2000's I could take it or leave it. But I am trying very very hard to like it, forcing myself to listen to them at least once every couple months until I love them. Still trying.....

I guess T4E because I like it more now than I did when it was released.

Now that I have all of the studio cds (well dad has RTB but I can borrow it when I want), PW and HYF are really the only ones that I'd call my least favorite. I love the hits/well known songs from those albums but some of the other tracks, not so much.

I guess hardest to get into would be the albums I still don't like, especially VT, and also Presto, RTB and T4E.

Of the ones that I like now, Fly By Night took me the longest. Outside of the title track, I never really got this album until the last few years. Now I think it's great, but it took forever to grow on me.

Similarly, The Fountain of Lamneth was another one I only got into in the last 5 years or so. Now I think it's brilliant.

Other songs that took time for me to love: Natural Science, Kid Gloves, Red Lenses, The Pass

I loved their first album 2.gif from the first time I heard it, and have loved it ever since. Criminally underrated, and a true classic. 1022.gif

Everything from "Test for Echo" until now. The band lost that songwriting spark somewhere in the mid 90's and the records since then have not had the same "magic" they once did. I cannot say anything bad about any of the records from the beginning through Counterparts.

I've tried and tried and tried, but I can't get into CoS. I think I'm done trying!

I DID putin FbN for the first time in a while last week, and liked it a whole lot more than I remembered.

I also think AFtK is... pretty damn boring. After finally figuring out how to write a good epic song on 2112, they forgot how again for the next album. Hemispheres more than makes up for it though!

T4E & S&A - can't get into these because the lyrics ruin the otherwise good songwriting. I can tune out semi-cheesy lyrics, but I can't tune out completely embarassing lyrics!

Archived