Weed and Rush...

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 21 2010, 06:10 PM)
Oh, I'd bet just about anything that all three of them still get high.

They're musicians. It's like PB&J.

A good buddy of mine hooked Alex up in Cali 2 years back with a huge bag of kind.

No shit.

Alex for sure is a pot head till.

And as far as the subject. I toke and enjoy it. And it goes well with Rush no doubt.

Edited by Todem

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 21 2010, 06:59 PM)

A good buddy of mine hooked Alex up in Cali 2 years back with a huge bag of kind.

No shit.

And as far as the subject. I toke and enjoy it. And it goes well with Rush no doubt.

That's awesome!

And yes, I partake.

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 21 2010, 05:47 PM)
I will not take anything in to the show don't want to get drug out by cops, yet they let people get drunk and fall down. That is f*ked up. But that is the way it is.

I remember at an allman brothers concert a couple years ago some guy was passed out in the bathroom because he had a few to many. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 21 2010, 05:59 PM)

No shit.

not surprising......Ged and Neil most likely smoke too.....

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 03:28 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

That being said, Xanadu is about weed.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

actually Xanadu (the original poem) was written after an opium trip. So it's actually about opium.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 08:47 PM)

Technically, if you refer back to the Coleridge poem that Neil used as inspiration for Xanadu, it was inspired by opium. wink.gif

No, I don't think weed "enhances" any experience except that of . . .being high. (I don't smoke it myself, though I did several times while still in college. Makes me too sleepy. I fully support legalization, though). I personally like a clear head when attending a Rush show, which is why I don't drink at shows either (that and the fact that you practically have to take out a second mortgage to afford a beer).

I agree the OP is over-generalizing. People who smoke at Rush shows likely partake of the cannabis during other leisure pursuits as well.

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

I respectfully disagree. Weed enhances not only music, but almost everything else in life too. No, I'm not saying I MUST have it to enjoy music, I don't think anyone is saying that. I mean, I got into Rush before I ever decided to start smoking. What I am saying though, is that it frees up my mind to allow my imagination wander, and that is definitely a good thing while listening to a band like Rush. Especially their older stuff, there's so much imagery there and meaning that I probably wouldn't have recognized as easily if I hadn't been feeling so awesome at the time. Also, the light shows kick ass when you're high! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:16 PM)
I respectfully disagree. Weed enhances not only music, but almost everything else in life too. No, I'm not saying I MUST have it to enjoy music, I don't think anyone is saying that. I mean, I got into Rush before I ever decided to start smoking. What I am saying though, is that it frees up my mind to allow my imagination wander, and that is definitely a good thing while listening to a band like Rush. Especially their older stuff, there's so much imagery there and meaning that I probably wouldn't have recognized as easily if I hadn't been feeling so awesome at the time. Also, the light shows kick ass when you're high! 1022.gif

I definitely agree. I was watching Snakes & Arrows Live while I was stoned a few months ago, and the ending of Digital Man just blew me away. I never felt that way towards it before.

We've been down this road several times before and a general pattern emerges:

People who get high believe Rush, their heroes, also do. People who don't get high believe they don't. We all create Ged in our own image.

I've noticed stoners will often think EVERYONE gets high. I remember in high school, I'd get approached and asked for weed all the time. Funny thing is, I never smoked weed in my life until I was in my 20s. So at that time I had never touched the stuff. I guess I looked like a stoner for some reason.

Ive been to RUSH concerts sober and stoned and i can honestly say its much more enjoyable while stoned. the music does sound much better. i find that the best time to get high at a rush concert is during spirit of the radio. everyone has their arms in the air and thats the time to light up without security seeing you.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 09:08 PM)

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

At the very least it can give you a different perspective.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 22 2010, 12:48 AM)
We've been down this road several times before and a general pattern emerges:

People who get high believe Rush, their heroes, also do.  People who don't get high believe they don't.  We all create Ged in our own image.

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:16 PM)
HAHA I saw Tom Petty 6 days ago in Cincinnati and there was more weed there than any other show I've been to! That said, I love toking up and listening to a little Hemispheres every once in a while. And I'm thinking about making some brownies for the August 29th show in Columbus. I won't have to worry about taking illegal substances in to the show that way and I'll be good for like 6 hours!

cool10.gif + 2.gif = 653.gif

I've seem Tom Petty talking in interviews. This doesn't surprise me.

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2010, 05:57 AM)

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

yes.gif

Personally I feel it is sad as well.

I quit smoking pot in 1998, but I in my early Rush days(daze) I enjoyed the enhancement it gave me. I just had enough by the late 90's and said bye bye to smoking weed. Edited by tick

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 03:17 AM)
The most weed I've ever seen at one time was at a Bob Dylan show. When he played Rainy Day Women the whole place went up in smoke.

I'd have to be high as a kite - on that fine line between barely alert and comatose - to get through two hours of Dylan.