Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 20 2010, 05:32 AM)
I am confident that will see a more interesting set list after the completion of the Clockwork Angels.

Hope they bring back Armor and Sword...

why ?,its the worst song they ever recorded

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Jul 20 2010, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM)
Are hardcores like us really going to be excited with LTTA, Stick It and WTA or anything else off Snakes which sold about 100,000 copies?

Um... Wow. I'm a hardcore fan and liked the what they gave in the first set. sarcasm.gif That doesn't make me any of a less "hardcore fan" I don't think. I think it shows you're more of a fan of a band if you can either...

1) Not like the songs but deal with it because it's whatever band it is - in this case RUSH - and not whine and bitch about it because it isn't customized for you and your wants.

2) Actually enjoy the songs like most fans of a certain band do.

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

Oh now, try not to get all insulted because I'm goofing off a little.

I'm more than aware that everyone likes different things and that there are hardcore fans who don't like everything they have done and hardcore fans that like everything they have ever done even if it was 60 minutes of the farts of Rush.

I'm not questioning anyone's hardcore status. Being excited about LTTA doesn't mean you're not hardcore, just means you're goofy. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Pound of Obscure

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jul 20 2010, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 20 2010, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 20 2010, 10:39 AM)
Of course it is stupid not to expect BU2B to be played, and while not my fav....you know it's coming and is NP's crowning achievement in slamming religion.

eyesre4.gif Talk about missing the point; that's not what the song is about...at all.

rofl3.gif Really? Please tell us what BU2B is all about then.

Well the title should give you a clue

QUOTE (tel @ Jul 20 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 20 2010, 05:32 AM)
I am confident that will see a more interesting set list after the completion of the Clockwork Angels.

Hope they bring back Armor and Sword...

why ?,its the worst song they ever recorded

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

Yikes...seriously.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 01:01 PM)

Maybe it's different up in Canada, but in the U.S. "Freewill" is almost never heard on the radio.

I have probably heard Freewill played more than any other Rush song on US radio. Even more than Tom Sawyer. Must be a regional thing.

I hear Limelight too much as well, to a point where I don't get all that excited about it anymore.

I suppose that is the reason for a lot of the setlist angst you see going on here.... any classic rock station in the middle third of the country plays a good chunk of this setlist every day.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jul 20 2010, 03:07 PM)

Maybe it's different up in Canada, but in the U.S. "Freewill" is almost never heard on the radio.

I have probably heard Freewill played more than any other Rush song on US radio. Even more than Tom Sawyer. Must be a regional thing.

I hear Limelight too much as well, to a point where I don't get all that excited about it anymore.

I suppose that is the reason for a lot of the setlist angst you see going on here.... any classic rock station in the middle third of the country plays a good chunk of this setlist every day.

I'll buy the regional thing. Here in the northeast, we hear the big four on the radio -- "TSOR," "TS," "CTTH" and "Limelight" -- and rarely anything else.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:17 PM)

I'll buy the regional thing. Here in the northeast, we hear the big four on the radio -- "TSOR," "TS," "CTTH" and "Limelight" -- and rarely anything else.

I have to chime in and just say the rock station in New Haven plays Freewill alot.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2010, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:17 PM)

I have to chime in and just say the rock station in New Haven plays Freewill alot.

Looks like I live in the wrong part of the country! fists crying.gif

I love both sets on this tour. Sure, we all would like to tweak it a little, add a couple favorite songs here, drop a few there.

All in all I think the entire set list rocks.

To complain about seeing RUSH play live is ridiculous.

The points that the original poster was trying to make were absolutely lost with his laughable analysis of each song's playability.

Suggesting one of two new songs not be played.... laughable.

Comments on TSOR, Freewill and TSS....laughable.

Comments about Subdivisions and LTTA....laughable.

I am laughing out loud.....at the OP expense. What an non-respectable worthless post.

It's too bad that necromancer23 was so drunk, he really made a fool of himself with his post.

His opinions are his own.... but if seeing RUSH live leaves him feeling so negative and disappointed...maybe he should not risk it next tour and find a new band to complain about and new forum to whine to.

I totally agree! Why can't everyone just be happy they get to see Rush play live instead of whining about the setlist. I guess that kind of appreciation comes with growing up.

QUOTE (The Gorsk @ Jul 20 2010, 02:49 PM)
I totally agree! Why can't everyone just be happy they get to see Rush play live instead of whining about the setlist. I guess that kind of appreciation comes with growing up.

Or rather, this kind of unappreciation is a result of taking the band's longevity and activity for granted.

If one of the members of Rush dropped dead tomorrow (god forbid), then the complaints we'd be dealing with would be more of a "why didn't I see them, and why didn't they tour more often!!? instead of "why did their setlists suck!?"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:17 PM)

Even more localized than just region, apparently, because I'm also in "the northeast" and I hear "Freewill" played plenty on radio! Depends on the market, I think. We're a big Rush region here in Upstate NY, and even moreso in Western NY.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:25 PM)
If one of the members of Rush dropped dead tomorrow (god forbid), then the complaints we'd be dealing with would be more of a "why didn't I see them, and why didn't they tour more often!!? instead of "why did their setlists suck!?"

My greatest regret in life (and I only have a couple) is that I kept putting off going to see George Carlin perform live. Every time he came to town, I had some excuse for putting it off because I took for granted that he'd be back in town in a year or less. Then he died. I don't have many regrets, and my life has been really good considering not seeing a comedian perform is one of them... but there it is.

Don't put off meeting people, seeing artists perform or doing what you want to in life... because you may not get to later on.

I'll never, ever complain about a Rush setlist. As long as they're on stage in front of me, I'm a happy guy.

i think everyone is justified with the setlist complaints to some degree. most have very high standards for setlists and i back them up 100%. we expect rush to be great in all regards -which isn't exactly fair- especially with setlists. but rush have been lacking in what i call great setlists/opening songs for years now. emphasis on great.

i think people get mad because they invest a lot in the band and they want some dividends paid. i don't think it's difficult to satisfy these fans at all. let the casual fans bitch that they didn't play some popular song. u should have went last tour!

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jul 20 2010, 02:38 PM)
I love both sets on this tour. Sure, we all would like to tweak it a little, add a couple favorite songs here, drop a few there.

All in all I think the entire set list rocks.

To complain about seeing RUSH play live is ridiculous.

The points that the original poster was trying to make were absolutely lost with his laughable analysis of each song's playability.

Suggesting one of two new songs not be played.... laughable.

Comments on TSOR, Freewill and TSS....laughable.

Comments about Subdivisions and LTTA....laughable.

I am laughing out loud.....at the OP expense. What an non-respectable worthless post.

It's too bad that necromancer23 was so drunk, he really made a fool of himself with his post.

His opinions are his own.... but if seeing RUSH live leaves him feeling so negative and disappointed...maybe he should not risk it next tour and find a new band to complain about and new forum to whine to.

Maybe he should jump on Nickelback's bandwagon. I'm sure they could use some fans.

Between the Iron Maiden Forum and this forum, I have had my fill of setlist complaining. One of my favorite quotes comes from the movie "Desert Saints." It goes something like this:

"When it comes to matters of opinion, debate is pointless. There is no accounting for individual taste."

I am with danielmclark on this one; as long as they are on stage performing, I am a happy soul.

"It is hard to say what's right about it before you say what's wrong about it." ~ NP