Indoor vs. Outdoor Venues

Lerxst

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Jul 12 2010, 12:10 AM)
I think it really just depends on the venue. I personally prefer indoor venues just because the ones near me (Madison Square Garden, which has great sound, and Radio City, which is just fabulous) are quite good and very easy for me to get to (just hop on the subway!) while the outdoor arenas (Jones Beach which is a hellhole and PNC which isn't bad but is quite out of the way) simply don't measure up. But if I lived in, for instance, Denver, I'd certainly want Red Rocks over any kind of arena. That place is spectacular.

wow i never thought the garden sounded good. i think radio city and brendan byrne arena sound great.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indoor all the way

Of the seven times i've seen them i've only seen them indoors once and it was very good in terms of lighting. But there is something very special about the amphitheater as well.

I prefer them indoors though. Mainly because a lot of these amphitheaters are in the middle of nowhere and can be hard to find if you've never been there before. While most major arenas are located right in the middle of their respective city and there's no problem finding them. For instance here in Buffalo, NY the local amphitheater is still about a half hour or so outside the city while the arena is only 10 minutes from me.

I've seen them in both settings, outdoor is a different kind of vibe and I love an outside show in the summer, but Starlake (now First Niagra Pavillion f/k/a Pittsburgh Post Gazette Pavillion f/k/a Coca Cola Starlake, etc.. ) has the worst sound. No matter where you are it's just not loud enough.

I'm very pleased that we get an indoor show this time around. Our venue here in Pittsburgh is brand new (Consol Energy Center) so I'm thinkin that the sound will be pretty good as they have planned this venue to be more of a multipurpose venue as opposed to just for hockey.

I'm torn on this. Indoors is great for the lighting and just the overall mood. The sound can be quite good in many indoor venues, some not so much.

But I also like the amphitheatres because there is usually not a bad seat in the house and I like the openess of it all.

I've never seen an "arena" type rock band outside. I don't think I'd like it because I prefer the noise and atmosphere of an indoor show. In other words, the louder the better at an indoor show. It seems to me like the volume would be lost outdoors. Again, I wouldn't really know because I've never seen a show like this outdoors. I have seen bands outdoors but they never performed at the volume a band like Rush would. Besides that, if it starts to rain at an outdoor show, you're screwed unless there's a canopy over the stage.

Outside for energy

Inside for comfortability

In response to Supersyl stating that about half the people at the Summer Fest. are being there just to see a show because they have a Summer Fest. pass,I totally disagree.Perhaps a few thousand but thats all.People won't go thru all the hassles of Pay Parking headaches and the leaving traffic frenzy at the end to see a show they don't like.I know I didn't go see any of the French Artists because it is of little interest to me.Perhaps the root of the frustration is that Montreal has a mediocre Jazz fest. that pulls in Artists like Stevie Wonder and other discount has beens.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2010, 08:11 PM)
Ive seen them 13 times, all at various indoor arenas, and outside twice, and I definitely prefer them indoors.

Its dark for the entire set, the lighting looks cooler, the sound doesnt have anywhere to escape so it has a lot more punch to it. I dont like seeing them outdoor very much, the sound is too empty for me.

spot on, imo. goodpost.gif

Here, Here!!!

I hate this push towards outdoor venues.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 2 2010, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2010, 08:11 PM)
Ive seen them 13 times, all at various indoor arenas, and outside twice, and I definitely prefer them indoors.

Its dark for the entire set, the lighting looks cooler, the sound doesnt have anywhere to escape so it has a lot more punch to it. I dont like seeing them outdoor very much, the sound is too empty for me.

spot on, imo. goodpost.gif

Here, Here!!!

I hate this push towards outdoor venues.

Rush just seems to enjoy this summer tour thing, and thats fine, but as a fan who has seen them many times, I really prefer seeing them indoors.

When those lights go down, and the first song kicks in, its not like anything you get at an outdoor venue. It just doesnt compare.

The lightning is one thing, but I need to FEEL the music. Even under a roof in an outdoor venue, it just doesnt hit you like it does indoors.

I remember seeing them at the spectrum in philly, sitting a mile away from the stage, and I could still feels Neil's bass drum kick me in the ass.

6th row for Vapor Trails at PNC, outdoors but under the roof, the sound didnt have nearly as much punch to it.

The band likes it for some reason, but I definitely dont.

I prefer indoors- the sound is usually better and the security is tighter. I love my fellow Rush fans but if you are going to get wasted and be a dick you need to get thrown out. There is nothing worse than some idiot ruining it for everyone.

OUT DOOR FOR SURE, RED ROCKS!!!!!

653.gif

Been to 10-11 shows and 3 have been outdoors. I MUCH prefer the indoors. You get the full effect of the entire show in a comfortable 72F. Last two times at Lakewood here in Atlanta were just brutal. Might as well not really have a light show until the 2nd set. I did not make it to the 2nd leg of the SnA tour here in Alpharetta, but it was outdoors as well.

Very true, Any concert on the rock is great.

Rush Spactacular!!

Before they played the rocks they played at fiddlers green,

And I will agree the light show isen't as vibrent, But the sound quality is mixed very well for the outdoors.

I am so spoiled to have red rocks in the back yard. trink39.gif

Last time they played indoors here was PW.

Out of the 15 or so RUSH shows I've been too since 1981 (all in Atlanta except one in Charlotte last time around), only the last four were outside. In another post, I as well as others expressed our displeasure with Lakewood Amphitheater. The newer Verizon Wireless Amp in Alpharetta is very nice. I've had all good experiences there. Even at the last RUSH show when a severe thunderstorm came through before the show, eventually it was fine. However, I pretty much hate outdoor shows. The weather being the main factor. The rain, heat, cold, dudes pissing where they shouldn't, etc. I work outside and after banging nails all day, the last thing I want to do is be outside for a concert. I do smoke cigarettes and at an outdoor show, I can go to a "smokers section" for a smoke and still see/hear. Indoors, not a chance. The sound is something to consider I reckon. The Omni was awful, Philips Arena is OK, but honestly, the outdoor shows did sound better. I also don't like shows to start in daylight. Feels like I'm having to miss out on that RUSH when the "lights go down" and it's on. Yeah, lights, lasers, smoke, pyro, inflatables, screen films/animations and all that is all just that, but if it wasn't relevant or even "important" if you will, they wouldn't bother with it at all. Overall, I personally prefer indoors by a long shot, but I'll take what I can get.