Mike Portnoy's Evening With Rush

It was great to see Mike having such a fun time at the Kansas City show and it is refreshing to see the mutual admiration that the two drummers share for each other.

Good for Mike. A real Rush fan "Closer To The Heart."

Glad to see that Mike and Neil have become the best of friends even after that "street musician" slam.

I'm surprised Mike isn't front row.

Neil will never go to a Dream Theater show and "sit in."

Just a gut feeling.

Mike will always be second fiddle to Neil. I am sure that Mike would agree.

Signed,

Buddy Rich

Two of my favorite drummers ever.

Maybe stuff like this will make MP more like a regular guy to all the DT haters.

Well, maybe not. tongue.gif

EDIT: Also, when the guy who put this up was asked what the setlist was he didn't know. But he DID know what clothes MP was wearing, and what time he went to the bathroom.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 4 2010, 03:10 PM)
It's great to see how these two awesome drummers admire each othere!

He was 9th row, just to the left of directly in front of Geddy. I was one row back, 4 seats over - they were great seats

@ 2:33, some dork in the far left of the frame near the front takes a picture, then raises his arm letting the boys know they're #1....what a moron! cool.gif 1022.gif

This video's kind of creepy, no?

I actually feel bad for Portnoy after watching that. He's trying to enjoy a concert and people keep coming up and bothering him and his wife and videotaping him. Maybe that Peart guy's onto something... tongue.gif

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 5 2010, 10:02 AM)

I actually feel bad for Portnoy after watching that. He's trying to enjoy a concert and people keep coming up and bothering him and his wife and videotaping him. Maybe that Peart guy's onto something... tongue.gif

When the one fan says to him "you are one bad ass drummer" - thats When Neil stares like a deer in the headlights and doesnt know what to say...

Is there more footage of Mike taking a whiz later in the mens room?

"Peeing. Check out how he holds his dick like a drumstick."

This clip points out another thing about these shed tours for me, playing in the bright daylight just removes any drama from the beginning of the show...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 4 2010, 06:22 AM)
Neil will never go to a Dream Theater show and "sit in."

Neil said he saw Backstreet Boys with her late daughter and Madonna in 2001. Shows where nobody in the crowd would recognize him... Definetly!

But in Travellig Music he said he saw The Who at the Qadrophenia tour, and Pink Floyd at The Dark Side of The Moon Tour and the Wish You Were Here Tour. How dare I....

Edited by DrManhattan

Not Rush related, but Dream Theatre related....

Saw Maiden in Winnipeg last week, the only stop where DT was not opening. It was some band called something like Automan.ca, and they were a brutal fit. Getting booed, haivng things thrown at them, people in the pit at the front flipping them the bird the whole time....we actually felt bad for them!

This video shows the stark differences in personality between these 2. Mike very gracious and open with the fans even when he's just trying to enjoy the concert himself. Can you imagine how Neil would react to all this stuff?

I'm not a Dream Theater fan at all, but everything I've heard about Mike Portnoy is that he is a very cool guy, and this video kind of backs that up.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 5 2010, 10:02 AM)

I actually feel bad for Portnoy after watching that.  He's trying to enjoy a concert and people keep coming up and bothering him and his wife and videotaping him.  Maybe that Peart guy's onto something... tongue.gif

When the one fan says to him "you are one bad ass drummer" - thats When Neil stares like a deer in the headlights and doesnt know what to say...

That's funny dude.

I actually had a "deer in the headlights" stance with Neil.

It was on the "Vapor Trails" Tour. I've mentioned it many times on here before.

I saw Neil come off his bus when I was backstage walking towards the venue.

He said, "Hello, Hello!"

I turned around thinking he was talking to me. He wasn't.

Anyway I started to walk towards Neil and then we both froze in our tracks.

We were gazing into each other's eyes like a deer in headlights.

As I took another step forward to greet him he hopped back on his bus and closed the door.

Classic. A memory I will never forget and it will be on the Rush Forum forever.

"Dear In Headlights"

The name of my new band. Thanks amigo!

Forget "Dear Hunter." wink.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 6 2010, 12:21 AM)
Amazing what passes for crappy these days LMAO

It's relative. He was invited by one the band members. That seat isn't that great considering it's a personal invitation.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jul 6 2010, 12:07 AM)
So Neil invited him and reserved those crappy seats for him? Interesting...

I work in a theatre and artists can have seats for guests but the theatre decides where those seats are. Neil will have had no say in the matter. I have put guests in much worse seats than MP got at this concert.

cool.gif

Lol. I love some of the people in the audience who think they're too badass not to clap for The Spirit of Radio

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 6 2010, 05:53 PM)
Lol. I love some of the people in the audience who think they're too badass not to clap for The Spirit of Radio

that would be me

it's not compulsory to do what everyone else does, which I think applies to life itself