Rush Bandwagon

Snyder80

Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like I run into more and more people who all of a sudden want to be Rush fans because of all the success they've had with their live dvd's and the new documentary. Personally, I find it disgusting that people, especially those in the media, who have ignored Rush for thirty years all of a sudden want to be fans.

I was raised on Rush. My father was a Rush fanatic years before I was born in 1980 and they've been the only band he has really ever loved and admired. He played bass in a band for years and of course it was a Rick. Hell I even have pictures of him in a Geddy type robe!!! Rush is like a family tradition in my family and we listen to and love most everything they've ever played. It just shocks me that the band is all of sudden being recognized by the media and people who haven't even heard of half the albums they've made.

I'm not trying to sound like an obsessed elitist but I'm tired of people who know Tom Sawyer and Limelight trying to call themselves Rush fans. Unless you stuck with them through it all, your not a fan! Some of my favorite tunes are from Hold Your Fire, Signals, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, etc.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really couldn't disagree more, even though I understand how you feel. You feel as though since you've stuck it out, you have a connection to the band that newbies and bandwagon-jumpers shouldn't have. I get that. But I would never, ever suggest that someone not be a fan of Rush or that just because they're late to the party that they're not real fans. I discovered them in 1991 with Presto. Does that make me less of a fan? What about the 14-year-old kid that just discovered them with Snakes & Arrows? Is he less worthy of being a fan? And really - what is someone does see the documentary on TV, and then decides to check out some albums and subsequently becomes a fan? Is that person really not worthy of the title "Rush fan"?

I understand the emotional place you're coming from, but intellectually, I have to strongly disagree.

(Forgot to add:

When my daughter was about two, I taught her to throw her fist in the air and shout "RUSH ROCKS!" whenever a Rush song came on (Zeppelin, too). By three, she was recognizing Rush songs that she'd never heard before. "Who's this, sweetheart?" "Rush! Rush rocks!" "Good girl."

She's four now. Who knows if she'll be a fan as she gets older, but I've got her started. And you sure can't say that she was there at the beginning - so... would she be less of a fan than some other people automatically? Food for thought.)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 2 2010, 12:44 AM)
Really couldn't disagree more, even though I understand how you feel. You feel as though since you've stuck it out, you have a connection to the band that newbies and bandwagon-jumpers shouldn't have. I get that. But I would never, ever suggest that someone not be a fan of Rush or that just because they're late to the party that they're not real fans. I discovered them in 1991 with Presto. Does that make me less of a fan? What about the 14-year-old kid that just discovered them with Snakes & Arrows? Is he less worthy of being a fan? And really - what is someone does see the documentary on TV, and then decides to check out some albums and subsequently becomes a fan? Is that person really not worthy of the title "Rush fan"?

I understand the emotional place you're coming from, but intellectually, I have to strongly disagree.

(Forgot to add:

When my daughter was about two, I taught her to throw her fist in the air and shout "RUSH ROCKS!" whenever a Rush song came on (Zeppelin, too). By three, she was recognizing Rush songs that she'd never heard before. "Who's this, sweetheart?" "Rush! Rush rocks!" "Good girl."

She's four now. Who knows if she'll be a fan as she gets older, but I've got her started. And you sure can't say that she was there at the beginning - so... would she be less of a fan than some other people automatically? Food for thought.)

I think he's saying he has a problem with the people who just kinda jump on because Rush is becoming "cooler" but don't really know anything about the band and only know a handful of songs.

I'm 20 years old, I became a fan about 5-6 years ago. I'm the biggest Rush fan I know IRL. The people who only know Tom Sawyer and try to talk to me like they're Rush's biggest fans do bother me quite a bit.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jul 2 2010, 01:12 AM)

(Forgot to add:

The people who only know Tom Sawyer and try to talk to me like they're Rush's biggest fans do bother me quite a bit.

Same here. And I think thats what hes saying too.

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 2 2010, 01:33 AM)

(Forgot to add:

The people who only know Tom Sawyer and try to talk to me like they're Rush's biggest fans do bother me quite a bit.

Same here. And I think thats what hes saying too.

The conversations always go something like this...

Other Rush "fan": *noticing Rush shirt* "Oh man, you like Rush? They're so awesome, they're like one of my favorite bands."

Me: "Oh really? Cool. So what's your favorite song?"

Other Rush "fan": "Probably Tom Sawyer"

Me: *internal sigh* "Okay, what's your second favorite song?"

Other Rush "fan": "Uhhhh...Limelight?"

Me: "Tell me ... can you name an album other than Moving Pictures?"

Other Rush "fan": "...."

Me: "I think we're done here. Might I suggest you pick up Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Expand your horizons a bit."

EDIT: To be fair... I had a Rush conversation where the guy was talking to be about "Jacob's Ladder". Turned out he was ACTUALLY a huge Rush fan and had been to R30 a couple years earlier with his dad. I liked that guy.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:34 AM)
Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like I run into more and more people who all of a sudden want to be Rush fans because of all the success they've had with their live dvd's and the new documentary.  Personally, I find it disgusting that people, especially those in the media, who have ignored Rush for thirty years all of a sudden want to be fans. 

I was raised on Rush.  My father was a Rush fanatic years before I was born in 1980 and they've been the only band he has really ever loved and admired.  He played bass in a band for years and of course it was a Rick.  Hell I even have pictures of him in a Geddy type robe!!!  Rush is like a family tradition in my family and we listen to and love most everything they've ever played.  It just shocks me that the band is all of sudden being recognized by the media and people who haven't even heard of half the albums they've made. 

I'm not trying to sound like an obsessed elitist but I'm tired of people who know Tom Sawyer and Limelight trying to call themselves Rush fans.  Unless you stuck with them through it all, your not a fan!  Some of my favorite tunes are from Hold Your Fire, Signals, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, etc.

If people like only two songs by Rush and call themselves fans, no problem with me. This isn't a religion we're peddling here. It's about enjoying the music of a rock band.

At the end of the day, all that matters to me is the music I enjoy. Sometimes it's an opportunity to offer a wider reality to these folks ("Oh, if you like those songs, check THIS out"), but if they never "get it", no skin of my back. I still have the catalog I can listen to whenever I want, regardless of what anyone else likes.

I really, REALLY like Rush, but what it means to be a fan need not be everyone else's definition. To turn it around, I think Pearl Jam is an awesome band. But you know, I don't have all their albums. I have a few of their albums (far from all of them), but Ten (and sometimes vs) is usually listen to if I'm in the mood for PJ. I wonder how many PJ "true fans" get bent out of shape about all the "not real fans" who only ever bought Ten while ignoring the rest of their work. I suppose I ought not to have the right to call myself a PJ fan because all I really like are their first two albums back when they were popular.

Anyway, whatever band you're talking about people will be fans to varying degree, and I'd rather being a Rush fan not make me feel like I'm in some cult that only those who are truly dedicated are allowed to be in. Sure I always try to get people into more Rush if they like a little Rush, but if it doesn't work, no skin off my back. To them, it's just music and what they like or don't. Cool with me.

(Forgot to add:

New fans are not lesser fans, especially the young ones. What I'm saying is people who have refused to listen to anything besides MP or people who have bad mouthed everything they ever did but now all of sudden Rush kicks ass. If Rush is just a new discovery to someone I'm all for it.

I am a fan and 2.gif addict since their first album back in 1974 and I truly think that some of the new fans only have heard a couple of songs... But maybe they will become true 2.gif addicts as well after a couple of years.... b_sigh.gif

I've been a fan for 30 years now and I think it's cool that 2.gif are as popular as they have been in ages. Sure it seems like there are some bandwagoners, but that's par for the course with rediscovered success or fame. Look how many Boston Red Sox fans you see these days.

It doesn't matter if they are big fans or fair weather fans. Fans and popularity come and go. We're all just one big family who's member change here and there.

The only thing I don't like is when fair weather fans have better seats than me at a concert....up front should be for TRUE fans!!!

This was always going to happen due to the 'Rock Band', 'Guitar Hero' culture. Don't worry about it - if it means they eventually get into decent music rather than most of the crud out there then it's all good.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 2 2010, 01:34 AM)
Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like I run into more and more people who all of a sudden want to be Rush fans because of all the success they've had with their live dvd's and the new documentary. Personally, I find it disgusting that people, especially those in the media, who have ignored Rush for thirty years all of a sudden want to be fans.

I was raised on Rush. My father was a Rush fanatic years before I was born in 1980 and they've been the only band he has really ever loved and admired. He played bass in a band for years and of course it was a Rick. Hell I even have pictures of him in a Geddy type robe!!! Rush is like a family tradition in my family and we listen to and love most everything they've ever played. It just shocks me that the band is all of sudden being recognized by the media and people who haven't even heard of half the albums they've made.

I'm not trying to sound like an obsessed elitist but I'm tired of people who know Tom Sawyer and Limelight trying to call themselves Rush fans. Unless you stuck with them through it all, your not a fan! Some of my favorite tunes are from Hold Your Fire, Signals, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, etc.

So more people are (claiming?) to be fans. Why should that bother you? If that translates into better attendance and sales doesn't that do more to potentially increase the longevity and viability of the band? Not to mention the boys are getting some long overdue respect from the mainstream.

Just kick back and let the good times roll! 1022.gif And if someone claims to be a fan but can't rattle off the running order of AFTK, so what. Maybe they haven't spent the hours, days, years many of us have being a fan. Take the opportunity, be kind, and take them under your wing and be their guide into all things 2.gif

trink39.gif

I agree to a degree, it is annoying that some people now are seeming to jump on their recent rise in popularity and acceptance and only know a few songs,

BUT, these people have never had the chance to hear Rush in their life before so whatever way they get into them, either through, I love you man, the documentary, walk of fame etc, atleast it has given them the opportunity to experience and actually hear Rush that otherwise they wouldn't have had without this new found media attention. So I say welcome aboard.

I am lucky, I was introduced to rush by my dad from a young age, saw them when i was 15 and have never looked back, but I sympathise with those who aren't brought up with decent music around them and fall into the trap of going with what's in the top 20 or cool amongst peers in fear of being cast out for not conforming.

I am also lucky that one of my best friends is a die hard Rush fan too, together we have converted and introduced many people to them in our vast amount of Rush gear and swag that we parade everywhere we go

2.gif

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Jul 2 2010, 08:07 AM)
I agree to a degree, it is annoying that some people now are seeming to jump on their recent rise in popularity and acceptance and only know a few songs,

BUT, these people have never had the chance to hear Rush in their life before so whatever way they get into them, either through, I love you man, the documentary, walk of fame etc, atleast it has given them the opportunity to experience and actually hear Rush that otherwise they wouldn't have had without this new found media attention. So I say welcome aboard.

I am lucky, I was introduced to rush by my dad from a young age, saw them when i was 15 and have never looked back, but I sympathise with those who aren't brought up with decent music around them and fall into the trap of going with what's in the top 20 or cool amongst peers in fear of being cast out for not conforming.

I am also lucky that one of my best friends is a die hard Rush fan too, together we have converted and introduced many people to them in our vast amount of Rush gear and swag that we parade everywhere we go

2.gif

confused13.gif Wasn't there a time when YOU only knew a few songs, but liked the band and wanted to get into them? Of course there was! It has happened to ALL of us. Every single one of us who calls himself a Rush fan once only knew a few songs.

So some people are just now coming around to being fans because of all the mainstream exposure of the past few years. So what?

Are you wanting the Rush fanbase to be an elitist club? Are we to exclude new members until they've proven their worthiness? Are we telling them, "be cool or be cast out?" wink.gif

This attitude is against everything Rush is about, guys. Don't be upset that new fans are being born. Its a GOOD thing. trink39.gif

(Forgot to add:

I think he's saying he has a problem with the people who just kinda jump on because Rush is becoming "cooler" but don't really know anything about the band and only know a handful of songs.

I'm 20 years old, I became a fan about 5-6 years ago. I'm the biggest Rush fan I know IRL. The people who only know Tom Sawyer and try to talk to me like they're Rush's biggest fans do bother me quite a bit.

Nothing wrong with only knowing a couple of songs. It was hearing Tom Sawyer on the radio back in 1989 when I became a huge fan. I knew next to nothing about the band but I was instantly in love. It grew from there. Give these new folks room to grow. Nurture their enthusiasm and they'll most likely catch up.

I didn't become a Porcupine Tree fan until after Alex appeared on one of their albums. I'm sure there's some PT fans that look down their noses at my late conversion. So what. Sometimes it just takes what it takes to get turned on to something new.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:34 AM)

WTF RASH IZ SO TRANDY. DU LIKEZ LADY GAYGA?

Please grow up people.

I've been misunderstood here just a tad.

The media is who I have the bigger problem with. Like the radio station in my area giving away front row seats when the Vapor Trails tour came around; to win the seats you had to answer Nascar questions?! Are you telling me that isn't complete and utter blasphemy? It's not Lynard Skynard we're talking about here!

And to answer one other post; No, there was never a time when I knew only a few Rush tunes; unless you consider pre-conception when I was just riding around in the old mans beans. And even then, I may have been able to hear the righteousness of 2.gif

And while I don't consider Rush a religion; they are indeed a cult band.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 2 2010, 08:44 AM)
And to answer one other post; No, there was never a time when I knew only a few Rush tunes; unless you consider pre-conception when I was just riding around in the old mans beans.

facepalm.gif

If you say so wink.gif

Archived