I Want To Hear Prime Mover!

rushfan676

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Star Taker @ Jun 12 2010, 12:15 AM)
Anything can happen smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif goodpost.gif

In all seriousness, I want to hear Prime Mover live (on something other than a bootleg) too!

QUOTE (rushfan676 @ Jun 11 2010, 09:43 PM)
Think this will happen this summer or on future tours?

For the love of everything that is holy, let us hope not.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 12 2010, 03:24 AM)
QUOTE (rushfan676 @ Jun 11 2010, 09:43 PM)
Think this will happen this summer or on future tours?

For the love of everything that is holy, let us hope not.

Yep, "Prime Mover" is a song that, while not terrible, never grabbed me.

I don't think they've played it live since the HYF tour...maybe the band's current heavy sound will put some added energy into it and make me appreciate it more.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 12 2010, 03:47 AM)
I had the displeasure of hearing it on the HYF tour. That had to be the worst tour they've ever done. That whole era needs to die and stay dead. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are three really bad albums.

WRONG! I'm not exactly in love with HYF or Presto (but both are cool), but PoW is a classic, IMO.

I had the displeasure of hearing it on the HYF tour. That had to be the worst tour they've ever done. That whole era needs to die and stay dead. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto are three really bad albums.

Gotta disagree here - those albums were pretty good - Presto is my 2nd favorite album.

I've noticed this over the years - fans of Rush's early stuff just can't stand the later releases - mainly because those fans just wanted more of the same-old-same-old. But, that's just not the band's style. As they said in their documentary - they COULD have just made another Moving Pictures for their next album, but they didn't. That's not their style.

There are fans for each album, I am sure. In a perfect world, we'd get to hear something from each album, every tour. smile.gif

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jun 12 2010, 10:52 AM)

Gotta disagree here - those albums were pretty good - Presto is my 2nd favorite album.

I've noticed this over the years - fans of Rush's early stuff just can't stand the later releases - mainly because those fans just wanted more of the same-old-same-old....

Not necessarily. Fans of the early stuff can dislike the keyboard albums and still like what came after them, starting with Counterparts. There are many here who fall into that group.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:59 AM)

I've noticed this over the years - fans of Rush's early stuff just can't stand the later releases - mainly because those fans just wanted more of the same-old-same-old....

Not necessarily. Fans of the early stuff can dislike the keyboard albums and still like what came after them, starting with Counterparts. There are many here who fall into that group.

Unfortunately for them, MANY people love Rush's 80s efforts, and as a result, they WILL be played live. Those people can go take a piss or something.

Big lover of Hold Your Fire here. Prime Mover is one of my favorite tracks on that album. Absolutely fantastic lyrics, for one thing.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 12 2010, 11:18 AM)
Big lover of Hold Your Fire here.  Prime Mover is one of my favorite tracks on that album.  Absolutely fantastic lyrics, for one thing.

Yup, me too. I actually didn't particularly care for HYF before I met Der Trom, I had initially dismissed it (along with Power Windows) because of the heavy synth and keyboards...it just didn't sound very "Rush"-like to me...but he made me sit down and really listen to it - and I did - and realized that that album was extremely well written, both lyrically and musically, and loudly resonated with 2.gif's main principles - true musicianship and striving to be BETTER. My absolute favorite song off that album is Second Nature...I actually had tears in my eyes the first time I listened to it, reading the lyrics along with it.

Edited by LakesideMaiden

SHUT UP.

i dont know hoe you could think that!!

those albums are packed with Rush "moments". and i would love to hear Prime Mover done live now..

and i really hope the give Power Windows some representation this time around.

Forget whether you like or love the song. Those of us that had the displeasure of hearing the song actually played live, it was an auditory disaster of epic proportions. The band would immediately be apprehended by the authorities for the crime of "mass mayhem" if they actually decided to play it again on tour. For the sake of all the children, let us pray to our creator in heaven that this will not take place.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jun 12 2010, 05:05 AM)

WRONG! I'm not exactly in love with HYF or Presto (but both are cool), but PoW is a classic, IMO.

yes, yes... trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

i saw all 3 of those tours...not to mention countless others...

why the hate??

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:59 AM)

I agree here.

Most people who are fans of Rush's old-stuff was because they liekd that style. This certainly does not suggest that these fans are closed-minded and would ONLY like that, and judge by the adage that "if it's newer, I won't like it".

I personally favored their older 70's style, in addition to the keyboard sound of the 80's, but then stopped at the 90's before returning to the present! smile.gif It's a choice, not a strict formula.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jun 12 2010, 03:05 PM)
What about those fans like me, who like all the albums?

I'd say you're in pretty good shape, then. wink.gif You'll be over the moon with whatever setlist Rush comes up with!

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 12 2010, 01:56 PM)

SHUT UP.

i dont know hoe you could think that!!

those albums are packed with Rush "moments". and i would love to hear Prime Mover done live now..

and i really hope the give Power Windows some representation this time around.

Ah, my first "SHUT UP". Good one. Are we no longer entitled to opinions here?

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 12 2010, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jun 12 2010, 05:05 AM)

yes, yes... trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

i saw all 3 of those tours...not to mention countless others...

why the hate??

I don't really see how anyone could listen to FBN-MP and think that the music didn't start to slip a little with Signals. I've struggled with describing this for a long time, but at some point in the 80's, music in general seemed to get lighter, almost "bouncy" (for lack of a better word), in a way. Song structure changed, songs began to sound more processed. Rush had changed every album, but at some point they seemed to lose their fire. If you can't hear a difference, I don't really know what to tell you. All bands do it. They hit it big and lose the hunger that got them there. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments. All bands do it. They lose the fire and start playing lighter, more commercial sounding stuff. Many of them make some sort of recovery, but never really get back to the magic of the old days.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 13 2010, 12:31 AM)

I don't really see how anyone could listen to FBN-MP and think that the music didn't start to slip a little with Signals. I've struggled with describing this for a long time, but at some point in the 80's, music in general seemed to get lighter, almost "bouncy" (for lack of a better word), in a way. Song structure changed, songs began to sound more processed. Rush had changed every album, but at some point they seemed to lose their fire. If you can't hear a difference, I don't really know what to tell you. All bands do it. They hit it big and lose the hunger that got them there. This is one of the most ridiculous arguments. All bands do it. They lose the fire and start playing lighter, more commercial sounding stuff. Many of them make some sort of recovery, but never really get back to the magic of the old days.

I agree with you on Signals and Hold Your Fire but your reasoning i completely disagree with. They were experimenting with new sounds, approaches, textures and not all experiments are always successful. They weren't trying to be commercial or lose their hunger or passion for making music. Anyway they came back with a vengeance on Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, two albums loaded with great music.

Edited by Silas Lang