Rush

Slacker

I absolutely love it for what it is...a fantastic first album. There is some grit and grind pushing those songs and the hunger is evident. I listen to this album at least a dozen times a year. It doesn't get the play of some of the others, but there is some killer material on there. Riff-O-Ramma!

Slacker...I am so glad you love the first RUSH album.

I'm so glad you can say that here and get some good feedback.

I've felt the same way about some songs/albums/CD, and on the reverse not careing for other songs/albums/CD...but after listening to the same stuff over and over and over...it's pretty cool to find a gem of a song, in a song/album/CD you had over looked before.

I hope if you find a jewel, you'll share that with us too.

Hey, do you still play the vinyl album or have you gone to a Remaster (I don't really know if RUSH was remastered) on CD?

Just curious...rock on.

2.gif

Osage

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 9 2010, 03:34 PM)
(I don't really know if RUSH was remastered) on CD?

Sure was! It was the first remaster I ever bought (I went in chronological order, and am still working on it)! 2.gif

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jun 9 2010, 08:38 AM)
The debut doesn't do anything for me. If I want to hear something with youthful energy or simple lyrics or danceable tunes or mainstream accessibility or whatever have you, I'll go list to bands that do those things better than Rush.

Rush for me is a cognitive experience with a side of musicianship. Occasionally its good natured fun and energy.

It is never "I feel I'm in the mood."

goodpost.gif

I'll just listen to Led Zeppelin instead.

And when I do listen to 2.gif I only listen to my favorites which are finding my way, need some love, then skip over to working man... And even those songs are pretty bad compared to a bunch of their later works.. Rarely do I ever listen to any of the other songs on that album.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/MRsnuGGlz/rush.jpg

^^^^^

That album right there is a new and improved 2.gif

Anthem > Finding My Way

Best I Can > Need Some Love

Between Beneath & Behind > Take A Friend

Fly By Night > Here Again

Making Memories > In The Mood

Rivendell > Before and After

and I screwed up the track order to compare the epics:

By-Tor and the Snow Dog > Working man (by a mile)

The only combination of match ups between Rush and Fly By Night where a rush song is better, is when I compare making memories or rivendell to my 3 favorite songs from rush.. Which I listed at the beginning of this post.

This album is as much a 2.gif album as any other. Rush didn't 'begin' when Neil joined the band. Lee, Lifeson, and Rutsey did an outstanding job with this recording and it stands up today along with its brothers as strongly as anything 1975 and onward. This album kicks ass! 1022.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 9 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2010, 11:20 AM)
I would place their first album right around the middle of the pack of Rush albums - it's a great album and criminally underrated.  One of the things it really has going for it is consistency, which is a big thing for me - no need to skip any tracks, which is true for me with only about half of their albums.  Also it rocks hard and oozes guitar solos aplenty.  They've never made an album this fun.  John is a fine drummer and while they lyrics are simplistic by later standards, they're not that bad.  I would rather listen to this album than say Caravan/BU2B any day of the week.

Sometimes, it's refreshing to go back to the basics - kind of like going back to Kellogg's Corn Flakes after eating all those heavy sugary cereals.

or Vector.

This, VT, and CoS* are the only Rush albums I never make it all the way through. There are some good tunes on it for sure, but I get tired of the rest pretty quickly. I have tried just cause I want to appreciate everything they've ever done, but it just doesn't work for me.

*I always crap out on the epics on CoS, and it's not because they are bad songs. For some reason I just never have given them a proper chance. I always think "next time" and then press "skip".

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Jun 9 2010, 08:14 PM)
The first album is great, but, who the hell starts to get horny at 7:45 PM? unsure.gif

Anytime is a good time to be horny laugh.gif tongue.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 9 2010, 09:56 AM)
Neil's lyrics just dont translate well to the average music fan, which is why they have this reputation of being such a nerd band that's serious all the time. They could have mixed it up a bit more.

Just when everyone thought you were being positive...

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 9 2010, 05:41 PM)
This album is as much a 2.gif album as any other.  Rush didn't 'begin' when Neil joined the band.  Lee, Lifeson, and Rutsey did an outstanding job with this recording and it stands up today along with its brothers as strongly as anything 1975 and onward.  This album kicks ass!  1022.gif

I agree. The RUSH album stands on it's own merit. It doesn't sound like Led Zeppelin to me, it sound like early RUSH. Before and After and Here Again are great tunes. If someone doesn't like the album, that's cool, it is their personal opinion and I respect that. You can't compare their first album with any post 2112, there are decades of progression involved. You don't have to like the first album but if your call yourself a true RUSH fan you should at least respect it as the start of something very special.

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 9 2010, 09:10 PM)
The first album is great, but, who the hell starts to get horny at 7:45 PM?  unsure.gif

Anytime is a good time to be horny laugh.gif tongue.gif ph34r.gif

Give me your address drool1.gif

The first album is great, but, who the hell starts to get horny at 7:45 PM? unsure.gif

You're kidding, right? tongue.gif

I just recently got back into this album. Just raw, unfiltered Rush!!!!!! Ged's voice is just so shrill and raw, but in such a good way! While Rutsey was nothing compared to Neil, it's still fitting on the album. As for the guitar and bass, they're just as awesome as any other Rush album. To call this a "glorified demo" is surely a joke. This album is a landmark of rock and roll music: the debut of RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jun 9 2010, 02:34 PM)
Slacker...I am so glad you love the first RUSH album.

I'm so glad you can say that here and get some good feedback.

I've felt the same way about some songs/albums/CD, and on the reverse not careing for other songs/albums/CD...but after listening to the same stuff over and over and over...it's pretty cool to find a gem of a song, in a song/album/CD you had over looked before.

I hope if you find a jewel, you'll share that with us too.

Hey, do you still play the vinyl album or have you gone to a Remaster (I don't really know if RUSH was remastered) on CD?

Just curious...rock on.
2.gif
Osage

The vinyl album is long played to death.. biggrin.gif.. I love Geddy's vocals here and that's what always appealed to me.. You gotta be a big fan, because

not alot of people like Geddy's voice or singing here.. I love it!!

To call this a "glorified demo" is surely a joke.

No, it's no joke. It sounds exactly like the kind of primitive recording that would have been taken to a record company back then in order to impress them enough to greenlight a real album. I don't mean that as an insult, I mean it literally. It reminds me of the Warner Bros Van Halen demo tape with all the song ideas that were remade later or the Ratt EP that was circulated in the early 80s that was also basically a "proof of concept". I enjoy it as a novelty and I realize how important it is in their history and appreciate the bar band-like energy of it but it just doesn't even sound like a professionally recorded album. Let's see, Geddy made up the lyrics on the spot after Rutsey trashed what he'd been working on, the playing is dramatically inferior to even Fly by Night to say nothing of their later work, the drums are basic, the songs sound like things high-schoolers would arrange, Geddy's bass playing doesn't stand out much, In the Mood sounds like it was written in 1960, and the album cover is pink and looks like something that a 7 year old would make with MS Paint. To say that this album is at the top of everything Rush has done is just a giant middle finger to the band. It's almost incomprehensible to me. I fully accept peoples' different opinions and that they're sincere about that but sometimes things are so out of whack it's hard to justify. You can say that Leonard Part 6 is the best movie ever made if you want and really believe it but damn, there's something wrong with you. laugh.gif I like "Rush", but I like it in the sense that I enjoy a candy bar, in no way would I ever confuse that with a five star meal no matter how much I like candy.

QUOTE (Slacker @ Jun 9 2010, 02:57 AM)
Nothing they've done to this date has touched Rush, their first album!!! moon.gif Well, next to AFWTKS...
33 years i've been listening to Rush and the more i listen the more i love this album...

GeddyFinal.gif = Rush.... Sing GeddyFinal.gif sing... smile.gif

IMO... smile.gif

Your statement alone has discounted what Neil has contributed to the band both musically and lyrically.

As fun of a listen as it is, it's towards the bottom of the pack for me. I agree with Kenneth in that they really took off running with Fly by Night. Still, it's a pretty damn solid album. "Here Again" is easily my favorite, and live versions of it are also great.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 11 2010, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jun 9 2010, 02:57 AM)
Nothing they've done to this date has touched Rush, their first album!!! moon.gif  Well, next to AFWTKS...
33 years i've been listening to Rush and the more i listen the more i love this album...

GeddyFinal.gif = Rush.... Sing  GeddyFinal.gif sing... smile.gif

IMO... smile.gif

Your statement alone has discounted what Neil has contributed to the band both musically and lyrically.

Don't be silly.. This is not by far my favorite album... that would be AFTKS.. trink38.gif

Archived