Rush

Slacker

Nothing they've done to this date has touched Rush, their first album!!! moon.gif Well, next to AFWTKS...

33 years i've been listening to Rush and the more i listen the more i love this album...

GeddyFinal.gif = Rush.... Sing GeddyFinal.gif sing... smile.gif

IMO... smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 9 2010, 09:07 AM)
Well, in the sense that none of their other albums reach low enough to touch it then, yes. It's fun for what it is, a glorified demo of a soon-to-be great band.

goodpost.gif

Funny you should post a topic about the first album. I listened to it last night for the first time in awhile. The new documentary has renewed my interest in that album as well as the other "classics" as Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112.

Last night, I played the "Rush", "2112", and "A Farewell to Kings" and then topped it by watching "Rush in Rio".

Back to the first album, my favorite is "Before and After". I even like "Need some Love"

"I been runnin' here and been runnin' there, lookin' for a GIRL!!!!....oh yes I need some love, I said I need some LOVE!!!!.......this feeling I can't rise above!"

I still love the first album. Love the youthful energy in the songs, not too overly serious. I always wished that they would have less serious songs here and there throughout their career, just some good old fashioned party songs. Stuff you can dance to, simple lyrics. Just here and there, not a lot of that.

Those are the kind of songs that often turn into hits, Neil's lyrics just dont translate well to the average music fan, which is why they have this reputation of being such a nerd band that's serious all the time. They could have mixed it up a bit more.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 9 2010, 08:56 AM)
I still love the first album. Love the youthful energy in the songs, not too overly serious. I always wished that they would have less serious songs here and there throughout their career, just some good old fashioned party songs. Stuff you can dance to, simple lyrics. Just here and there, not a lot of that.

Those are the kind of songs that often turn into hits, Neil's lyrics just dont translate well to the average music fan, which is why they have this reputation of being such a nerd band that's serious all the time. They could have mixed it up a bit more.

I feel what you are saying but if they were to do that and have a top 40 hit then people would say they were selling out. One thing I have always loved about Rush is that they write music that they want to hear and not what others want to hear. It just so happens it is what I want to hear wink.gif

I also love the first album. I have a cousin who is 6 years older than I am. He would get the new Rush albums and I would go to his house and we would listen to them over and over. I was about 7, I guess, when introduced to Rush. Ahhhh, such great memories smile.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 9 2010, 08:48 AM)
Funny you should post a topic about the first album. I listened to it last night for the first time in awhile. The new documentary has renewed my interest in that album as well as the other "classics" as Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112.

Last night, I played the "Rush", "2112", and "A Farewell to Kings" and then topped it by watching "Rush in Rio".

Back to the first album, my favorite is "Before and After". I even like "Need some Love"

"I been runnin' here and been runnin' there, lookin' for a GIRL!!!!....oh yes I need some love, I said I need some LOVE!!!!.......this feeling I can't rise above!"

Funny, I've been doing the same thing. With Rush (RUSH) and Fly By Night and Farewell to Kings.

"Hey baby it's a quarter to eight"

I too dig the first album. Great to play guitar along with. I'll take Rush over any other studio album post MP.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 9 2010, 08:48 AM)

+1

Two songs I love to play out.

And now you're finally listenin'

To what I have to say.

Well, the time is right,

And it is today.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..........

2.gif

I would place their first album right around the middle of the pack of Rush albums - it's a great album and criminally underrated. One of the things it really has going for it is consistency, which is a big thing for me - no need to skip any tracks, which is true for me with only about half of their albums. Also it rocks hard and oozes guitar solos aplenty. They've never made an album this fun. John is a fine drummer and while they lyrics are simplistic by later standards, they're not that bad. I would rather listen to this album than say Caravan/BU2B any day of the week.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2010, 11:20 AM)
I would place their first album right around the middle of the pack of Rush albums - it's a great album and criminally underrated. One of the things it really has going for it is consistency, which is a big thing for me - no need to skip any tracks, which is true for me with only about half of their albums. Also it rocks hard and oozes guitar solos aplenty. They've never made an album this fun. John is a fine drummer and while they lyrics are simplistic by later standards, they're not that bad. I would rather listen to this album than say Caravan/BU2B any day of the week.

Sometimes, it's refreshing to go back to the basics - kind of like going back to Kellogg's Corn Flakes after eating all those heavy sugary cereals.

The debut doesn't do anything for me. If I want to hear something with youthful energy or simple lyrics or danceable tunes or mainstream accessibility or whatever have you, I'll go list to bands that do those things better than Rush.

Rush for me is a cognitive experience with a side of musicianship. Occasionally its good natured fun and energy.

It is never "I feel I'm in the mood."

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 9 2010, 07:39 AM)
My least favorite album.

Not my least fave, but very low on the list.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:07 PM)
There's some okay songs on "Rush" but, probably one of my least favorites of theirs.

Is the dragon sig a Different Strings reference....or just an injured dragon rolling around on the ground?

Ya can't beat Rush's 2.gif

Funny thing, My girl Jeri, Loves all of Rush, but she crazy for 2.gif lp.

I don't drive her truck much, a few years ago, I noticed she had the 2.gif CD in her deck, at least 6 months went by & I again notice the 2.gif CD was back in & then she confessed she can't stop listenin to it & hadn't swiched it & still wasn't ready to ! !

2.gif = Fantastic !

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 9 2010, 12:14 PM)
There's some okay songs on "Rush" but, probably one of my least favorites of theirs.

Is the dragon sig a Different Strings reference....or just an injured dragon rolling around on the ground?

It's a monster from a video game actually...he's rolling around in the mud to cool off... I just always thought it looked silly tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 9 2010, 12:14 PM)

It's a monster from a video game actually...he's rolling around in the mud to cool off... I just always thought it looked silly tongue.gif

Aaahhhhh... gotchya. And now we know...the rest of the story. wink.gif

In one respect I understand the dislike in that it's more primitive that what came later - while Rutsey was a good drummer, Neil is one of the best ever. Also, obviously, the lyrics don't match up to what came later.

The first album is high energy fun though in a way they never quite recaptured.

In the end I have to judge an album by how often I put it on and listen all the way through. On that scale I rate this album very, very highly. I find myself in the mood ( wink.gif ) for this album far more than most of their albums honestly. It's not Signals or Moving Pictures, but it's definitely one of my go-to albums. yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2010, 01:30 PM)
In one respect I understand the dislike in that it's more primitive that what came later - while Rutsey was a good drummer, Neil is one of the best ever. Also, obviously, the lyrics don't match up to what came later.

In the end I have to judge an album by how often I put it on and listen all the way through. On that scale I rate this album very, very highly. I find myself in the mood ( wink.gif ) for this album far more than most of their albums honestly. It's not Signals or Moving Pictures, but it's definitely one of my go-to albums. yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I feel the same way, Goobs!!!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Jun 9 2010, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2010, 01:30 PM)
In one respect I understand the dislike in that it's more primitive that what came later - while Rutsey was a good drummer, Neil is one of the best ever.  Also, obviously, the lyrics don't match up to what came later.

In the end I have to judge an album by how often I put it on and listen all the way through.  On that scale I rate this album very, very highly.  I find myself in the mood ( wink.gif ) for this album far more than most of their albums honestly.  It's not Signals or Moving Pictures, but it's definitely one of my go-to albums. yes.gif 2.gif  1022.gif

I feel the same way, Goobs!!!

trink38.gif

trink39.gif

Archived